Abnormally heavy period, could it mean something worse?

I'm 18 years old, and I've been having an abnormally heavy periods for two years now. By "abnormally heavy" I mean I need a Super+ tampon (it's absorbancy range is 12-15 grams) on the first day of my period, and by the third day I can fill one in less than an hour. I've talked to a lot of my female friends about this and they are horrified by the amounts. No female in my family have it this bad either.

My period is on a 28 day cycle and it lasts for 5 to 7 days.

I'm over weight, with a mildly seminary life. I don't take any medicine other than Pamprin on rare occasions. I take about 2-4 pills a month during bad months, sometimes I take only 2-4 a year. Sometimes Robitussin multi-cold liquid (Less then twice a year). And other miscellaneous allergy/cold medicine.

I'm not on birth control, nor have I ever been.

I've read that heavy periods can be caused by vaginal cancers, and cancer is in my family. Before I worry myself into an expensive doctors' visit, I want to know what it would more likely be.
You seem to be having the symptoms of metrorrhagia(heavy periods). Various factors causing it are endometriosis,ectopic pregnancy,hormone imbalance,endometrial hyperplasia,polyps,use of IUD’s and depo shots, sexually transmitted diseases,PCOS and benign and malignant pathologies of the uterus.
I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist and get a pelvic examination and swab culture done to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment depends on the confirmation of diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.