Anke and feet edema

I am a 78 1/2 year old white female. I had a total hip replacement 12/09/2010 and have had foot and ankle edema since.  Within the last few months, I have developed foot and ankle edema in the left foot as well.  I do not have any liver or pancreatic disease but just found out that I do have a gallstone.  I have no symptoms pertaining to the gallstone.  I have Hypothyroidism and am on Levothyroxin 100 mcg Monday through Friday, 50 mcg on Saturday and none on Sunday.  I am 5 feet 2 1/2 inches tall and weigh 163 lbs with a big belly.  According to a stress test done years ago, I have no heart problems and I am not hypertensive.

What do I need to do besides lose weight??  

Barbara M. Moody
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there, I agree with thatquietgirl.  I would go in for a physical as soon as possible.  The three reasons she gives are very commonly involved in edema.  Congestive heart failure comes to mind and a stress test a while back is probably not good to rely on with regards to the status of your heart.  Good luck and please call your doctor as soon as possible for a work up.  good luck
Helpful - 0
How are your kidneys? And please note that "a stress test done YEARS ago" does not mean you do not currently have heart problems.  You need to go in for a physical.  Edema can be related to heart, kidney, and diabetes.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.