Bacterial Vaginosis......so Frustrated

I have been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis I was put on Antibiotics and it worked for about a week....then came back!!! I went to the doctor again and they perscribed Metro gel this time.  Well I did everything I was supposed to but it didn't seem to get better.  I had some gel left so  I took a couple more doses hoping it would get better.  Well that was last week thursday (the last dose I took) My vagina was still dry and kinda itchy.  Also thursday I noticed that it was red and irritated on my labia's.  Well since then I got my period on friday and I dont know if it is the tampons or what but It is so sore now and burns.  Its such an annoyance and I dont know whats going on.  I am so frustrated with Bacterial vaginosis, and doctor visits. Has anyone else experienced the same thing. I am frustrated and kind of scared. I want to go back to being happy in my relationship, this takes up so much of my time with worrying.
I have had the same problem with that.  I can't seem to get over it or yeast infections.  Creams have never really worked for me and its frustrating.  I feel your pain. I wish there was something we could do about this rather than having to go to the doctor get treated and then it comes back again and we have to go throught the same thing all over again.
I really don't have any personal info on this subject but you may want to check out 3toboots entry called "yeast infections and vaginosis nonending" someone posted a comment on there of tips on how she cured what seems to be the same problem. Sorry I don't have anything to add but your comment on my post eased my mind a bit, so I hope this helps.
Thanx for the advice.....its crazy.  Sometimes its tough being a women with our anatomy! Grrr. :-) have a good day
I have had many complications with Bacterial Vaginosis, my doctor has told me to cut down on the number of BATHS I take, to take showers instead, also to be very sure to wipe front to back, even when urinating, avoid tight clothing, and non cotton underwear.  It has helped me keep it away for about 6 months now, maybe some of that will work for you too.
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!! It is extremely frustrating. As I said in my post, the doctor says it's a "bad mix" between mine and my husband's fluids. How can you fix that? I have had my tubes tied, so I do not want to use condoms. I do all the cautionary things: wipe front to back, urinate after intercourse, do not take baths, wear cotton pants, etc., etc., etc. It seems like nothing helps.

I haven't gotten them yet, but a friend of mine sells "Mella luca" (spelling?) vitamins. They have come out with a new one that is comparable to eating like 1,000 containers of yogurt or something like that. I also have had trouble going to the bathroom (#2) for years and years. I am supposed to take Zelnorn, but even with my insurance it's $55 a month. This vitamin also has something in it that has helped her get "regular" after having the same problem going to the bathroom. She says she hasn't had a yeast infection for like 4 months, ever since starting these vitamins. At $12 for a month's supply, I'm DEFINITELY going to try it. At this point in the game I would try just about anything!
I had the same problem a year ago. The third time I was treated, they also treated my husband. My dr also told me that yogurt everyday helps. If you don't like yogurt, you can buy supplements with the same bacteria in it that's in yogurt. Good Luck! The yougurt seems to keep it away for me!
i had the same problem i had a yeast infection or a bacterial infection constently no breaks for about 5 months turns out it was because of the baths i was taking our old apartment didn't have a shower so i was taking baths all the time and then we moved and i was taking showers again and i haven't had a infection in a year now
Thanks everyone for you input.  I cant exactly tell right now if everything is cured because I still have my period.  And it is still very sore down there.  But keep your hopes up for me, because im about at my wits end.  Thanks for all the tips and everyone keep them coming I could always use more advice.
The supplement mentioned above is called lacto-bacillus, but it is primarily used to reestablish ph balance b/c of yeast overgrowth.  Quite honestly, I think the whole yogurt thing doesn't work, and I've heard Dr. HHH over on the STD forum say the same thing.  However, I did want you to know the name of the supplement.  You buy it at the pharmacy, OTC, but you do have to ask for it, b/c it stays in the fridge behind the counter.
OMG!! this sounds all way to familiar. I can relate with 3tboots comment. Her husbands and her fluids "bad mix" I am divorced now but I was married to him for 5 yrs. We also had the "bad mix" it was horrible. I battled BV for so many yrs and thought it was ME. I also went through not taking baths and eatting the right things and yes..Mellaluca. OH yeah, eat yogurt, drink milk and in addition acidophillis (sp) I got to the point where after intercourse I'd would use yeast infection cream. It would ward off the itching but I never did cure until after the divorce. I've been divorced for 6 yrs now and I never so much have had a yeast infection. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

In my opinion.....I don't know if you have kids or not but I would suggest a vastomy. I have always thought if he would have gotten one it would help. What could it do? Make it worse?

I feel for ya...good luck!!
Thanks alot for your comment.  The bad mix could be very true, but I have been with my boyfriend for a year now and since I am only 20 and I can't be on birth control we always use condoms.  I also have never had a problem or even heard of BV until about 4 months ago. Thats when all of this started! I was on antibiotics for an ear infection and became very dry and itchy, sex was uncomfortable too.  I knew it wasn't normal but was too scared to go to the doctor.  When I finally did they told me nothing was gone.  It finally took me 3 visits to the doctor for them to finally say it was BV.  It is so frustrating for the past four months I have became very antisocial and almost depressed over this.  I am lucky that I have a very understanding boyfriend but I dont know how much more understanding he can be....i feel disgusting when I have to tell him that I have another BActerial infection. It just seems like a never ending thing. Now I am wondering if I was somehow allergic to the Metro gel because after using it I am now very red, and sore.  I dont know I am so happy that some of you guys can relate to how stressful and irritating this is.  I feel helpless..and I just want my life back.  Thanx everyone for listening to me :-)
One thing to add, anytime you have or recently have had a vaginal infection it is not a good idea to use tampons.
You guys all have my sympathies!  When I was younger, I went through a horrible period in my life where for several years it was one infection after another.  My doctor said I looked like a "hunk of raw meat."  I ended up with a hysterectomy at the age of 32.  

Of course back then, they used electrocautery and twice a day douching and no sex.  Well that was all fine with me, because sex is no fun if it hurts and you end up burning and hurting afterwards.  

It's so interesting how treatments have changed.  And I definitely think it has to do with your partner!
Thanks for the comment on tampons, I didn't know that.  Even though I thought about it I guess I should have just listen to my instincts and not use them because now I think I may have ANOTHER Bacterial infection!!!!! Who knows when this will end! I love you all for your comments.
You don't have 'another one', you just haven't kicked the first one.  

You are correct in thinking that you could be reacting to the metro.  I took it once. First 2 days were fine, the 3rd was horrible. The are became intensely red, swollen and painful. I stopped using it. Luckily at the time I had a perscription steroidal cream that eased the symptoms quite well.

The stories about lacotbacillus doing any good are basically old wives tails. I am not discounting people that have had apparent good luck with them, I'm stating a known fact. There have been studies done with DNA typing of the bacteria that inhabit the vagina and the type that's ingested.   1,  very few of the bacteria will survive it's trip thru the digestive tract and manage to move to the vagina.  2, the type of bacteria that is in the supplements does not have the ability to adhere to the vaginal walls and start a 'good' colony. They will not survive even if you use them as a suppository.

Usually once a negative feedback cycle has started the trick is to find what will suppress the symptoms for you for an extended period of time to allow the localized vaginal immune system to get back on track.

I really suggest to anyone who is having troubles to do some research looking for scientific trials that have dealt with these very same problems. If you don't know the terms, look them up. The more papers you read, the more you will understand. Also, at the end of all papers are the citations. These can give you information on what possible hospitals or clinics near you might be treating these conditions or at the very least, maybe know where to send you.

Everyday GPs don't neccessarily know it all. If they are not faced with countless women trudging to their office with similar problems, they may not be aware of who is out there that can help.
That actually really helped me thank you.  The only thing that really showed any sign of it starting to get better was the antibiotics not the gel....but then once I was done with the antibiotic I got a UTI and it came back and thats when they put me on the metro gel.  I dont know I am giving the irritation that I think I have from the metro gel one more day and if it doesn't subside I am going to the doc again and we will see what they say about the BV.  Thanks for your help.
Hi again,you're welcome. The only reason I knew about the tampons is from personal experience. I hate the alternative to tampons and stubbornly kept right on using them until I got the mother of all infections-very painful. Good luck!
Wow! So glad to have found you all.  I am 27 and when my husband left me (after 12 years together total) I got a BV infection that has been never ending!  I got it in October after my first sexual partner other than my husband.  I am starting to wonder if the "bad mix" thing is true.  I have only been with two people and it has been happening with both.  My new boyfriend is understanding, but we can tell when it comes back because mine doesn't itch or burn, it comes with an odor!!! How horrible is that.  And my cervix hurts.  The doctor gave me Metro Gel and that has not worked very well at getting it to go away.  I don't use condoms anymore, or tampons, or anything other than hypo alergenic soaps.  I can't take this anymore!  I will try the no baths thing and see if that helps.  Any other info will be VERY much appreicated.  I thought I might be the only one with this reoccuring thing.
hi its good to here that i'mnot the only one who suffers with this embarrassing infection. i have had it on and off for about 4 years now. same thing happens with the doctors, they treat it with anti biotics and its back within 2 weeks. i was doing some research and came across a home remody site. one home remody was to douche with 1 tbl spoon of vinager mixed with water. sounds crazy but it seems to have worked for now. also there are some iodine washes you can get which are supposed to be affective. i would ask your doctor about the iodine as i'mnot 100% about that one. i'll keep you posted if i have kept it at bay. fingers crossed!
i still have been unable to kick my BV. but all i can say is i am trying to stay away from antibiotics because natural remedies don't kill all of the good bacteria. i stopped seeking help from my doctor because she didn't seem to really know any alternative solutions and never had time to talk to me about the problem but just continued to refill my perscription. my body did not respond to the metro gel or oral antibiotics but simply threw off all of my defenses.
i had been on antibiotics just about every two weeks for the last six months because initially i was suffering from UTIs. Apparently that caused my ph levels to became unbalanced and that is why i got BV.

I haven't seen much luck with the probiotics I have been taking but i am debating getting some from rockwellnutrition.com that are made from human strains rather than dairy or animals and supposedly adhere better to the vagina. has anyone heard anything good about those?

i also used a vagi guard iodine douche and it has definately gotten rid of the odor and discharge. the only symptom i am struggling with is the burning which has definately increased since my period and since using boric acid suppositories. very frustrating.
Ive been dealing with BV for about 3months now. Ever since my boyfriend and I stopped using a condom. Ive been to the doctor twice and all did was gave me the gel(that gave me a very bad yeast infection) and said that they really dont know what causes it. They said it could be anything from my boyfriend semen to not wiping myself correctly. I ve been on different websites looking for some kind of good home remedy I can use because I cant keep going back to the doctor everytime after we have sex. Thats very costly and Im just tired of going for the same thing.  I see theres a couple of drugs that can be brought off the internet I want to know has anyone used them and if so do they really work.  I need help Im so tired of this feeling after sex.  It's like Im starting to hate having sex because I know what comes next. Please help if theres anybody out there who can tell me what to do.
Unfortunately, I relate to most everything people have said on here.  I do have a couple questions for people who have had chronic bv/yeast infections.  for some reason, I always have intense anal itching, not as much discomfort or itching in the vaginal area and usually no unpleasant odor thankfully.  My doctor always confirms it is bv or yeast.  Does anyone else here have intense anal itching - it is literally driving me crazy - i have tried everything!  If you do, any suggestions on relief? I just started probiotics, yogurt after doing a round of antibiotics and Diflucan because i had both yeast infection and bv a the same time.  Tried creams, which seem to make it worse with the moisture.  It has been a 3 month neverending deal w/ me now and I have had bv on and off for years.
I have found some good info. on what other women who have chronic bv are doing.  Check out wrongdiagnosis.com.  That is where I heard about the probiotic treatment. I just started and am hoping it will help.  See if this link works....

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7675&page=9
I suffered from bv very badly and was quite tired of the gels and pills etc... that worked for a time, but somehow the bv came back in no time.  this is what I did and it has worked for me.  I have been bv free for one year now...again it worked for me it may not worked for you but it is worth a try.

I stopped wearing underwear at nights....I made sure at all times the area was kept dry and kept a tube of vagisil extra strenght by my night stand.  When I felt the first itch I appled the vagisil to stop itching before it go out of control.  That's all i did......I guess it was stopping the onset before it happened.  Also make sure your hands are clean.  Like I said I have been bv free for one year now doing this.  
Good luck