Birth control, Does the merina work?

I'm a 23 old mother of two. I just had my second daughter about four months ago. I recieved the Mirena IUD, Does it really work? How do I know if it is out of place? They say to feel for the string and I have but I do not feel anything. Can you please help.
Statistically, it is more effective than sterilization, but that isn't to say it never fails. It has been said time and time again, but should be repeated...the only thing that is 100% effective against pregnancy is abstinence. But if you are going to have sex, it is generally a very effective form of birth control.

I just had my Mirena IUD removed and admitted to my doctor I had never checked the strings, she laughed saying it is quite tricky to do, which is why she never suggests it. If you are overly concerned you can either have your partner check or make an appt for a quick checkup with your OB/GYN and have them check for you.

Visit the mirena website for more information, they have an online version of their patient information brochure available.

Andi
i got pregnant with this iud... on 17thsept i had a misacarriage caused by the iud
Hello!

The Mirena is very effective, as much as 99.9%. It's reported to be as effective, if not more so, then a vasectomy and/or getting your tubes tied.
Generally if a pregnancy does occur, it's because the Mirena was misplaced or fell out. That is fairly rare though, and an appt. a month after your Mirena insertion should confirm the Mirena's placement. After that, it only needs to be checked once a year. You can also easily check for the Mirena yourself. It's easiest felt during your cycle (if you get them, most women's periods will become VERY light on Mirena and by a year of use, 20% of women will have NO periods). All you need to feel for is the wires coming out of your cervix.
I've checked mine enough that I can feel them very easily at any point in my cycle. It may take a "first timer" a few practice tries before being able to feel it easily however.

The side effects from Mirena are usually fairly minimal. As with all birth control, you'll always hear of unusual stories of people having problems with Mirena (causing rare side effects) but typically Mirena has very little side effects. The first 4 months of use you may have sporadic spotting or even increased bleeding/cramping. But after 4-6 mo. of use your cycles generally go to VERY light and just a couple days a month, then eventually none.
Mirena is supposed to cause you not to ovulate, but also thickens the wall of your uterus I beleive to prevent implantation if you do happen to ovulate. (?)

I've been on Mirena a year now and have been very pleased with it. I don't even realize it's there and my periods are starting to go away totally.

Hope this helped!

~Bethany,
Momma to three charming princes
I am a mother of two and had a merina coil inserted 6 weeks after my second was born.  That was 2.5 years ago.  I have not had any troubles what so ever.  I have a period about once a year and it generally only lasts for about 2 days and is very scant.  I would highly reccommend the merina.
I'm 22 and have 2 children i want to know how much Minera is and how reliable it is
hello,this is my second time for having marina, i have 2 children, 6 year gap.my baby is 3.i have my second marina nearly 3 years.i recently had a smear and havent being feeling myself. my hormones seem to be all over the place.i also have my periods for nearly 4 weeks.i was wondering if this is normal or maybe it was knocked out of place while having my smear.any advice?bunnyw