Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

Birth control and pulmonary embolism

First for a little history.  I have been on oral birth control for almost 20 years.  Specifically, I had been taking Ortho tricyclen for about 12 years.  I had my third child this past April at age 39.  (I got pregnant while taking the Ortho tricyclen.)  Seven days after giving birth, I woke up with stabbing pains in my left chest and could barely breathe.  After going to the ER and having a CAT scan, I found out I had several small blood clots (pulmonary emboli) in my left lung.  I spent several days in ICU and had to take Lovenox shots in my abdomen for 14 days and Coumadin for four months after being discharged.  As my physician said, the clots may have come from my uterus or from one of my calves.  (He thought they might have come from my calf because the morning I woke up experiencing the symptoms, my left calf was swollen twice as big as my right.)  I was scheduled to have my tubes tied after my 6-week checkup, but had to put that off due to the blood clots and the blood thinner.  My physician said I won't be able to take hormone therapy again, even during menopause (God help my husband!).  Today I went by the health department to pick up some foam and condoms (my physician told me I can never get pregnant again due to those complications, plus I had gestational diabetes and postpartum preeclampsia) and the nurse told me that she thought I could take a progesterone shot, such as Depo Provera or Lunelle.  Now that I've finally gotten around to asking my question, can a woman with a history of PEs take Depo or Lunelle safely?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.