Breakthrough bleeding

For the past 4 months I've had heavier than normal periods with a lot of sharp pain during them.  Then, for the past two months I've had bleeding in between periods as well.  The in between bleeding normally lasts about one day, but it is heavy enough that it turns the toilet red and I can see clots in it.  This month I've already had it happen twice and my periods only been over for about two weeks.  I'm not on any birth control and haven't been for a long time.  I'm married and have two boys, 4 and 7.  Any idea what this could be?
Sounds like you are having irregular cycles. You might want to consider going on birth control to keep your cycle on a normal schedule.
I am on stress leave from work and have gone through alot of personal stress as well. Somehow I ended up in the hospital because my lower abdomen was in alot of pain and burning. Apparently there is no sign od urinary infection, yeast infection, std, or failed pregnancy, so what else could it be? Iv'e been bleeding for two days now mostly blood clots that are about the size of the palm of my hand and there seems to be somekind of tissue inside them. I feel like iv'e been kicked in the gut's and the pain is worse and lasting longer than any regular period I have ever had. My regular cycle ended two weeks ago. Any ideas?