Breast discharge

Hi everyone.One day i decided to squeeze my nipple to see if anything came out.I had some clear brownish and milky like discharge.Why is that? Anyone with the same issue
Nipple discharge is normal and very common when the breasts are squeezed and it's rarely a sign of breast cancer.It can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.
Take care to avoid nipple stimulation( including frequent checks for discharge)  because it can actually make the discharge persist.If you stop squeezing the nipple,most probably the discharge will also stop.
When to be alarmed about nipple discharge,it's when it happens only on one side, comes out spontaneously( without squeezing),is persistent and bloody or is associated with a lump, nipple or skin changes etc...
If you are worried,you should consult your doctor for a clinical examination to clear out any doubt.
Take care...
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and welcome.  I kind of disagree that nipple discharge is common.  It's a sign of a hormonal issue if a woman is having this and can be a sign of cancer if it has color to it.  It is best to get a doctor to exam you in my opinion.

I had nipple discharge/lactation which is called prolactemia.  I was checked for a number of things including a small benign tumor of my pituitary gland which is one of the things that can cause this.  I didn't have that but was naturally making too much estrogen.  It self regulated and the discharge stopped.  

good luck.  (see your doctor!)
Please read this post from a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic.
                                    ---------------------------
Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  If this is happening, it should be checked by your doctor.
COMMUNITY LEADER
http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/WarningSigns.html

This is a good site as well.  I don't want to argue but most physicians would recommend that she be checked.  

good luck to the poster.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nipple-discharge/MY00467

Here is some more information.  

Every site that I've ever read about nipple discharge recommends that a woman be checked.  It could be a number of things and yes, normal at times when the nipple is squeezed.  

Because we are not doctors here, the best advice is that the poster see her doctor for a thorough breast exam.  
good luck
I agree with you "specialmom". As a regular breast cancer answerer,I always advise women to check any breast abnormality.I certainly wouldn't argue about that. :)
The point I was making to La_star was not to squeeze her nipple and prolong the discharge.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well, and to that I agree as well.  :>)