Women's Health Community
65.9k Members
Avatar universal

Canker sores near vagina... Not herpes

When I was sixteen, I went to the gynecologist because I was sexually active and was experiencing breakouts of painful, open sores like canker sores around my vagina and labia. I am now 19 years old and I still have the same problem. I usually only have one sore at a time and I get a breakout every once in a while. I have been tested for all STDs and I have been tested for herpes at least five times over the years, negative every time. They are so painful and last for about a week. During that time period, peeing, walking, sitting up straight are all very painful. The doctors are are stumped. I was told to go to a specialist the next time I have a breakout so I plan to. Valtrex is a pill for herpes that I was given by my doctor to help make the sores go away, and it works but often makes me nauseous. I'm more interested in finding out what it is than finding a cure, even though I would love both. Does anyone else have this problem?
2 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
It can be a boil, syphilis chancre or herpes sores. Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection caused by Treponema pallidum. The symptoms start with a sore which turns into an ulcer, which is called a chancre. The chancre heals spontaneously after 4 to 6 weeks.

I would suggest you to get VDRL test for syphilis as well as herpes sores ruled out. Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar universal
I have this exact problem and have no idea what it is. I know it can't be an std because I have been having sex with only my boyfriend and I know he's not cheating on me. It's so painful and it happened to me a couple months ago and disappeared. I just got it again now and am really confused in what it could be. Please let me know if you find out what it is
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.