Consistant bleeding for 8 months after C-section.

I had a baby by c-section 8 months ago, I bled for 5 months straight afterwards, my obgyn changed my birth control 6 times so far, for the last 3 months I have been bleeding every week for about 4-5 days and then stopping for two days, and then bleeding for 4-5 days and stopping for two days.. My doctor seems to think it's the birth control, but I think there is something else happening. It's heavy, I've ruined many underwear, pants, sheets, etc.. its very painful when bleeding, I often feel sick, tired and just all over weak, there is a constant dull (sometimes worse) pain in my uterus.. I have a 21 month old and an 8 month old, I can't afford to feel like crap all the time!!

Could this be something else and not just a birth control issue??
It could be some retained placental tissue.  Has the doctor ordered an MRI done of your uterus?  Or even an ultrasound?  If not, I would insist on it.  In the meantime, get your iron supplementation in order, or you will indeed feel weak and sick.  Hydrogen peroxide will take the stains out of fabric.  Good luck!!!!!
Thanks for the advice!! I believe we had an ultrasound many months ago, but no MRI, iron supplement bought today.