Dark Brown light period blood

The second to last time i had sex was 3 weeks ago. i got my period 1 day later, as normal (i have taken ortho-lo for a year). Then 5 days ago i started having light flow, dark red period blood one week prior to when my period should start. now that i am on the period week, brown discharge is continuing; my regular period hasn't resumed. Two days ago i had sex for the first time in 3 weeks. i read responses to a similar question, but i really don't think i could be pregnant- we usu always use condoms in addition to birth control pills. so what could be going on?
Possibly the Ortho-Lo is not strong enough for you anymore and it's making you irregular.  Ask your doc about switching to regular Ortho TriCyclen.
hi

can some help me? I had my last period on 21 august then about a week later i got brown discharge for two day and also had littie red spots.Im normally have a 28 day cycles but last months i was 26. I've done a test and it come back negative so im not sure what going on but there no sign of my period come
help!
Are you on any kind of birth control?
NO im not on any birth control. me and my husband have been trying for kids for about a year now.
WE'VE BOTH BEEN TO SEE A SPECIALIST, ALSO WE'VE HAD ALL THE TEST DONE AND WERE BOTH CLEAR. APART FROM ME HAVING ENDOMETRIOSIS BUT THEY MANAGE TO LASER THAT ALL AWAY.
After a year of trying you can now go see a fertility specialist to have a work-up done on you and your husband to see what the problem might be.  They can help you.  

That is weird about having brown discharge only a week after your period.  I'm not sure what that was about.