Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

Darker skin in pubic, genital, rectum areas and between legs.

The area between the vagina and the anus, the pubic area and the upper part of my inner thighs are significantly darker than the rest of my skin (is very embarrassing).  I am a white Latin woman and I do not use oral contraceptives.  I shave the vaginal and rectum area about 2 to 3 times a months.  Could the shaving be the cause of the darkening?  If so which is the best alternative to shaving?  I do not seem to have any kind of irritation.  I started to use hydroquinone 2% about a month ago, but I don
185 Responses
I don't know about the bump, but I'm pretty sure it's normal for your skin to be darker in the areas you describe.  I don't know what you can do about it.  Personally, I would just leave it alone.  If it's causing you embarrassment for some reason then see a dermatologist and see what they advise.
I'm also pretty sure it's normal up to certain point for the skin to be some how darker in certain areas.  But the difference in me goes from very fair to very dark brown and it was not always like that.  

The dermatologist will be the last option since I am not really eager to show my very, very private parts to a dermatologist, unless is absolutely no choice.
How about your gynecologist?  You should be getting a PAP regularly, and your GYN would certainly be the one with the answer.  As for the cream, that is kind of strong to be using in such a delicate area and it really won't do much good for lightening the skin in that area since it works on the epidermis layer of skin not the dermis.  What you are describing is normal coloring as most women have dark skin in the pubic/genital area. The bump could be an ingrown hair or cyst.  Again, check with your GYN doctor to be safe.
79258 tn?1190634010
I agree with the others, what you describe sounds normal :-)
I saw a program on TV (I think the Style network) in which women were paying to get their skin bleached.
Have you noticed this at all under your arms or back of your neck? This happened to my daughter and I called her dermatologist. They told me to take her to an endocrinologist. I did. It is due to metobolic disorders. I'm having a brain freeze  or I would tell you the name of what she has.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.