Depo Provera (birth control shot) concerns

After being on depo provera for 1 year, I decided to discontinue use and switch to the pill. I decided to be single (and not sexually active) for a while, so I decided to wait until I got my period to start taking the pill. The only problem is that I STILL haven't had a period! It's been 6 or 7 months since I stopped getting the shots. I had normal periods while on the shot, and before I was on the shot, but once I stopped getting it my periods vanished...

I went to the doctor and she put me on provera tablets, 10mg once a day for 10 days, and said I should have a period a few days after they were gone. No such luck, no results. I'm due for another trip to the doctor on friday.

She said it could be hormones and I was billed for labs including TSH, FSH, and prolactin. I thought thyroid related tests were a blood test? I did not recieve any blood tests... Please correct me if there is another way to test, without a blood lab.

Has anyone else experienced my problem after having depo shots, or know what might be causing me to have no periods?

It might also be helpful to mention that I've had swelling in my lower abdomen, like bloating before a period (but for months and months), and it is definately not weight gain/fat. I used to wear a size 5, now I wear a 7 or 9. I am NOT pregnant, bulemic, anorexic, overweight, underweight, athletic, or sickly in any way. I had a c-section when I was 15 (I'm 18 now).

Sorry about the long post, I'm just so worried that I might never be able to have another child sometime later in life. Thanks for reading!

I asked my doctor if it was normal and she said it wasn't. She said that it was normal for about 3-4 months, and after that to at least have some spotting here and there while your body gets back on track. She wants to do an ultrasound. My mother had 5 cantaloupe sized fibroid tumors (benign) in her uterus, and had to have a hysterectomy. Am I too young to have fibroids, or to go through early menopause? I'm only 18!

I read on other posts involving women with somewhat different symptoms after depo, that they took a high dose birth control pill and after about 6 months they got their periods back. Would it be worth suggesting to my doctor?
On the package insert it says the it can take Depo 12-18 months to get out of your system once stopping it. But every person varies.  When I stopped taking Depo I went directly on BCP's....to regulate my period.  I aked my OB/GYN and pharmacist and they said it was fine.
I went to the doctor last monday. I received the Depo shot last November before a sterilization procedure that I had in December. I was told that I needed it to "arrest" my cycle so that it would not present during the surgery. To my surprise, I may have had the procedure for nothing because the one-time Depo shot may have thrown me into early menopause. My doctor has given me a script for Provera. I will have it filled tomorrow. He also gave me a script for lab work. I'll keep you posted. Thank God I'm 38 with two beautiful kids. Otherwise, I think that I would have been an emotional wreck. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
You girls have to discontinue Depo Provera at once and I highly recommend never putting any hormones into your bodies ever again.  I have experienced a living nightmare from Depo Prover for the past three years.  After I got the Depo shot I went home and researched on the web about the drug.  I cried for three hours in fear that that could happen to me.  What happened was worse.  Five days after the shot a menstrual cycle started that would not cease.  It wasn't a normal cycle.  I was hemhorraging profusely with multiple massive clots.  I have been a patient at a leading medical institution ever since.  The hormones in the Depo stimulated what tiny fibroid tumors that I had (which were not causing any symptoms) to grow.  I was bleeding incessantly every day.  They had to use double doses of very high birth control pills to try to override the Depo to get the bleeding to stop.  I still experienced breakthrough bleeding.  I had to take the estrogen for over a year becasue if I stopped the bleeding would immediately continue.  My physician at this Clinic told me that Depo Provera is an oil-based drug and it has the potential to stay in your body for the rest of your life.  I finally had to have surgery this year to remove the tumors.  For the past three years this drug ruined my life.  I could no longer exercise because I was always bleeding and severely anemic.  I couldn't sleep because I had to use double protection and had to go to change myself every 20-30 minutes throughout the night.  I have been a very healthy regular girl prior to the Depo.  I am a triathlete but couldn't train or race for the past three years.  Now I may never have children.  The surgery was quite extensive because of the amount of tumors.  Because of the remaining scar tissue and an adhesion I probably won't be able to have children.  My life is forever changed.  I am depressed because I have no hope of ever being the way I used to be or being able to have a child.  This drug has destroyed my life and I don't want this to happen to anyone else.  These doctors and drug companies are pushing these drugs.  They are using women as guinea pigs. What you need to know is that it is excesses of estrogen that creates fibroids and makes them grow, i.e. the birth control pills that doctors push.  I am shocked at the statistics I hear of all the young girls in their early 20s getting fibroids nowadays.  It is because of excess estrogen in our drinking water supplies, food supplies, and because everyone is on the pill.  I eat an organic diet now with lots of fruits and veghetables.  This helps your liver to function better at filtering excesses of estrogen.  All I can do now is pray.  I will never trust the FDA nor drug-pushing physicians.  And I want to help inform other innocent women so that they don't encounter what I have.
I was on Depo for 6 years. I loved it! I did not get a period for about 9 months at a time. I did however, gain 40 lbs without changing my eating habits.

I decided to get a tubaligation at the age of 38 and stop Depo. I started almost immediately getting my period every two weeks. My physician felt that this will take awhile before my periods regulate. It's still going on after almost 2 years.

I have never had a problem with my sexual organs and in the past two years I've had: 2 breast fibroadenomas, fibroids, ovarian cysts, endocervical thickening and cervical cysts. I'm seeing my gynecologist soon to determine, what I believe, if Depo is the cause for all these problems.

I also developed osteoarthritis and chrondomalacia in both my knees. If Depo use could cause osteoporosis, could it also have caused these problems as well?

happyflower i feel your pain i had one baby and i went on depo............ my doctor failed to tell me about the side effects.............i took one shot last august and.... i haven't seen a period till this day............. now i'm married and i want another baby and it seems impossible.........i have gained over 50lbs and i have no sex drive.. what am i supposed to do know??
Mrs Oxo
no period in 3 years from depo....... i cant take it anymore!!!!
I meant SHOT, not PILL in this sentence
" I think my hormones are all out of whack because of this pill.. " <<SHOT
I am only 21 and got off of the depo provera shot about 4 years ago. I started it and it was great because I didn't get periods but I started noticing that I was very emotional at times. I was moody, tired, depressed, and not to mention, my sex drive had totally hit rock bottom.. I got off of the shot a year after taking it because my emotions basically ruined mine and my high school sweetheart's relationship. Now being 4 years later, I am a little better, I am not tired all the time, but I do feel depressed like the feeling that no matter what I do, I am going to fail in life. I know that is not true and not how I am supposed to look at things but... I can't help it. I cry for no reason sometimes and I STILL do not have a sex drive. AT ALL! none. zero. I have a very loving boyfriend and I am intimate with him. I love him with all of my heart but I can't seem to WANT to be sexual. I will do it because I am in love with him and I want him to be happy but.. why do I have to feel like this? I want my body to WANT to be intimate... not just my mind. And it is apparently not enough. I think my hormones are all out of whack because of this pill.. but I got my hormones checked a couple months ago and everything turned out normal they said. Who knows... I just know something is wrong and it has been ever since I was on the shot and after it. What the hell.. someone fix it. :( DONT TAKE THIS SHOT. IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE **** AND YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR EMOTIONS. :(
I'm currently 23 years old.  I've been on birthcontrol from the age of 13--18 years old. I had an early period at the age of 8. My periods have always been heavy, cramping and tired.  They would last anywhere from a full week to almost three weeks, also they were very heavy. Tampons most of the time hurt even the light ones. Pearl tampax all the way.  I started the pill to regulate and slow down the flow. It worked great!  I had an incredible sex drive till I was 19-20 when I started the shot.  I took the shot my senior year till just the fall before my july birthday.  I went back to the pill due to links of osteo stories. I didn't want thinning bones.

When I was just about to turn 21 I was doing an internship away from home, I was off the shot and not taking the pill. I wasn't active and wanted to give my body a break.  I got home from my internship in late july and started to take the pill again not so regularly my sex drive had sorta died by this point.  Just before I was 22 I had a four month long period and went to my doctor after two months of bleeding.  I was not anemic, but they did presribe me some Sprintec.  I took that for three months and after a month of pill taking my period stopped.  But then again this past late winter/spring I bled again for two months. I went to the doctor this time I was very anemic, clotting heavily, tired, feeling sick and wanting to throw up from heavy hard cramps.  The doctor put me back on sprintec, sent me to an endocronolgist, ordered an ultrasound and this is when it all got worst.

No cancer, no polysystic ovary syndrome.  Ultrasound came back normal.... But I continued to have my period for four months, two packs of sprintec to end my period and ontop of it the endocrongolist put me on some trial meds to help lesson my mood swings the pills he gave me were to help some minor hormones that were either slightly too high but still in the normal range or vice versa. He didn't seem to honestly know what was going on.  The pills made me throw up twice. They upset mystomach so badly I discontinued them.  This was back in april of '07.

I then went to an obgyn and he gave me again sprintec, talked to me and said to give the endocrongolist pills a shot, I did for a month but I never felt they worked. My bf claims my mood was better.  My sex drive is gone.  It's now august and I've had my period again for over a month.  I'm clotting no torwards the month 2 week point.  I'm feeling tired and like barfing again and bad cramps that are completely random.

I'm upset, uninsursed and scared I'm going to have four month long periods for the rest of my life. I'm 23years old and tired.   I use to be almost nympho like and now I can't even get excited before. I cry worrying I'm messed up forever.  

Any ideas. Suggestions, links to stories, posts, breakthroughs.. anything. I'd really appreciate it.  At this point I just want to go back to how I was.
I had no significant health issues prior to taking Depro, had maintained the same weight, give or take 5 lbs., for many yrs., and had no issue taking the weight off when it did fluxuate. I received my last shot in Nov. of 2006 (I received four shots total) and today am still experiencing many side effects. While taking Depro, my symptoms included excessive weight gain, major circulation issues (my arms would fall asleep repeatedly-very painful), chest pain, dry skin, strange rashes, low sex drive (high libido prior to receiving the shot) body aches, headaches, emotional swings, irregular bleeding, varicose veins, headaches, weakness, dizzy spells, nausea, blurry vision, and visually noticed loss of muscle tone. I gained 25 lbs. in a period of approx. two months despite my already extremely healthy dietary intake (I eat virtually no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, consume very few refined carbs, drink only purified water (no caffeine, no sodas, no juice, no aides), eat plenty of organic veggies, organic low fat lean meats, take supplements, etc.), weight which I cannot seem to take off despite having altered my dietary intake even more & regular exercise; my husband says my mood has been unexplainably tense, my body aches (I feel like a 60 yr. old), i've been bleeding incessantly for prolonged periods of time; at this point, for a month & 1/2 straight (heavy bleeding), i've developed varicose veins, i've noticed that it takes much longer for wounds to heal, am having acne, feel routinely fatigued and weak & must continually battle depression. If I weren't in touch with my spirituality most likely I would be insane by this point, especially after having tried to discuss what's transpiring in my body with doctors who have insisted it's not possible Depro caused these things, even giving me looks (you know that face that indicates "you must not be counting your calories accurately, you must be exaggerating about your bleeding...in other words, maybe you're a nut case), now maybe that was simply my own perception, but, two things are for certain; I listened to the doctor very carefully and read all material given to me regarding depro & the only side effects listed were possible weight gain (which the doctor minimized saying it should only be around 5 lbs., NOT 5-10 lbs. per shot! The only other side effects listed were possible headaches, back pain, & increased risk for osteoporosis, which I was told would be resolved by taking calcium/vitamin d supplements. This drug is poison and needs to be taken off the market. To all of my sisters now suffering from this, may God touch your spirit. Respectfully, while counting calories, eliminating refined sugar from your diet, drinking plenty of purified water, minimizing salt intake, eating lots of green veggies (organically grown), non processed foods, and organic meats (hormone free)  is essential to maintaining your health (esp. in light of all the chemicals & synthetic substances being added to foods, many women are experiencing excessive weight gain after having taken Depro that is NOT contributed to dietary intake. Everyone's body is different. Some women may experience weight loss while on the Depro, but, after having scoured over hundreds upon hundreds of testimonies, most are experiencing the opposite effect: excessive weight gain & many of these women are stating that this occurred with no dietary changes. As well, many women are stating that once they stopped getting the shot, they have found it extremely difficult to drop the weight, even after many yrs., even thought they've altered their dietary intake and up-ed the exercise.  It can become incredibly disheartening when you're taking a proactive approach to weight issues and the weight still refuses to budge or when you’re receiving strange looks & responses from doctors despite the fact that suddenly you’ve gone from perfect health to a constant battle with fatigue, illness, mood swings, endless bleeding, etc.... so, I think it's extremely important that women have access to information that can help us understand what's happening and why. By the way, did you know that the same drug used in Depro is given to Cancer & AID's patients to assist them with weight gain? And I must not forget to tell you that some states also administer the drug to sex offenders and child molesters to eliminate their libido. I am not anti doctor or anti medication, but, we need to understand the reality of the situation.