Does Birth Control work on a daily basis?

Does birth control (more specifically the Pill) work on a daily basis? So if I forgot to take a pill on the day that I SHOULD be ovulating, theres still a good chance that I could get pregnant? I guess that makes sense to have to take it every single day.
Anytime you miss a pill, you should double up the next day.  If you miss a pill and just disregard it altogehter (for that day) you do have a chance of getting pregnant.
The pill works by suppressing ovulation, but if you miss a pill you're not going to just suddenly ovulate that afternoon.
ive been oni birth control since who knows when and ive missed a day here and there, its not recommended but nothing to serious should happen