Embarrassed!!! Bad Odor From Rectum - Normal?

I have a really embarrasing situation, I need some help! I feel like I'm the only facing this, but I have this really bad odor that seems to be coming from my rectum area. I'm 23 years old with 2 children - a 3 1/2 year old and a 18 month old. I don't know if my past pregnancy's have anything to do with it but it seems like this odor came after having my children. I've had BV's and UTI's in the past and I know how those smells are. I've also had those awful hemorroids after my 2nd pregnancy. But at those time, no unusual smells for me.At first I thought the odor was coming from the vagina, but it wasnt it. I don't know what's going on with my body, but it's just an awful smell that won't go away. It smells like rotten fish or something rotten something. It's not a pleasant smell and it can get very powerful too. My sex life...I'm just too embarrassed that I don't really want to have intercourse with my husband. My husband gets frustrated at times because the smell is just too much. No matter how many times I wash down there, it just doesn't seem to want to go away. My doctors don't see anything unusual, they ran tests and everything. Everything is always negative. Nothing abnormal. What's wrong with me?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Boric acid is natural and is harmless for us but beats the daylights out of yeast anywhere.My daughter suffered after her birth with non stop yeast issues. She uses it as a suppository.
Helpful - 2
i have this foulfoulfoul smell its like im passing gas and im not.i dont have anal sex.i take bleach baths and now they dont work any more. it hurts so bad i tryed to commited sucided. then i snap out of it,because i have three kids and they need me.i have seen a lott of docotrs,they look me like im crazy.then one told me its in my head. so i went somewhere else they made take a colney like a blow out where they put the carema up there.itcame back where my good bactiera was gone and i had to take them pills for good bactirea.so now im here needing help inmy home,because i dont go any where.the smell is that bad. please any ones help . and people talk obout me to.
Helpful - 1
I have the same problem people talk about me they said I smell stink
Almost 5 months now I'm suffering this smell I can't go somewhere,same as me  i have seen a lot of doctor then they told me its in my mind,but people told me smell stink I don't know how to rid of it please help me guys
I have the same problem and its hurt so bad when you cant or dont know what to do about it
I have had the problem of itching for 20 plus year's and in the last 6 months started having the smelling showing up that I could personally smell myself so I knew others could too. I listened to one of the poster's on here and went out and got the preparation H with witch hazel and started wiping down with that 3 to 4 times daily, definitely after every bowel movement, then used Z-Zorb antifungle powder and it's been one week and I have no more itch and the smell is gone. I am consistently dry down there now and never feel any wetness. I am so relieved, but you must stick with the regiment of keeping yourself clean with the preparation H wet wipes and using the powder. I also read if you watch your diet and stop using caffeine, it will help, the caffeine can really irritate the small veins in your anus area, making the itching start up, then you go through what they call the itch scratch phase. You have to get out of that phase or you will not ever get relief. I would recommend stopping caffeine for a week and if you like soda drink caffeine free and stay away from eating a lot of processed foods and sugar. It's worked for me so far, I will keep you updated.
Helpful - 1
Hey man I was wondering if the smell came back at all ? My butt hole has been itchy my whole life as well but recently people could say they smell feces thinking it could be the same problem you were having  
I’ve got the same issues and it’s driving me mad, dose this get rid of the problem completely?
On Wednesday I was ordered to see a gastro doctor. He told me I had gas and I don't know about them. I left the doctor disgusted, humiliated, angry. All the nurses looked at me like a crazy grandmother who came to the doctor with a gas that stinks. My life is hell. Why doesn't the doctor trust the patient that something like this exists? Is any of you healed? Where to look for a doctor who would take this problem seriously?
I have the same problem i shower more often. My problem aggrevates with bowel movements and a airborne bacteria elimianates into air and makes people nauseaus
Helpful - 1
Do you have Skype or email can we chat there please because I had this problem almost 5 months ago now it's so embarrassing,same as me I shower more often but the smell won't go away

Please note that you can use the Private Messaging feature to chat privately with other members.
Try and apple cider enema and Then followed by probiotic enema whether it's the same day or the next day alternate
I think I know what happened to us I had twins and well ever since then I've had issues and although I don't have the fishy odor I have another one going on that I cannot pinpoint where it comes from I feel like it comes from within its insane I tried dieting I tried all sorts of things but then I came across internal prolapses and it makes so much sense because I literally cannot go to the bathroom the way I used to everything has changed and I think we all have an internal prolapse stick out of your butt or vagina but the kind that is internal where your organs drop
it is so horrible and painful. Cause me not to want o leave my home. going to work is a major problem because people laugh and gossip about you even telling your customers not to buy from you we do need major help
Had the same exact problem. Cured by Taking Multivitamins  supplements that contains ZINC. It's a deficiency problem.
Helpful - 0
im assuming you went to your family doctor who found nothing wrong.  i think it would benefit you to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist... I would bet if there is something to be found, they'll find it.
Helpful - 0
thanks everyone for commenting back on me. if it's an infection, i hope the gastro people can find it. but i'll take the advice and see the specialist. thanks again. and tmv, i will check out the site and see whats suggested there. thanks!!! i really appreciate it.
Helpful - 0
I've also have this problem (fishy odor coming from my anus) &, until now, I had no idea what was causing it. I do have some cirrhosis which was caused by Hep. C Viral Infection x 25-30 years.  I love coffee (drink 6 cups of weak coffee a day) & I eat a hard boiled egg everyday. I use lots of non-dairy creamer in my coffee. I also eat non-fat yogart for lunch everyday & eat low-fat frozen yogurt every evening. Have you had your liver checked? liver enzymes?   JMV
Helpful - 0
I was wondering if you ever found out the cause of the odor? I am experiencing the same problem. I wash repeatedly, but the smell is still there. I also thought at first that it was coming from my vaginal, but discovered that it was coming from my rectum. I saw the nurse at my doctors office, and she took a swab, and said there was no sign of infection. I am very worried about this, especially since my Mother just died of colon cancer. My doctor's office do not seem like they are interested in this problem, or concerned. I asked if they could make an appointment for me to have a colonoscopy, but this was also ignored. I guess I should mention that in the UK, ignoring the patient is common practice. I am American, andI can hardly wait for my husband to retire so I can return home and get some decent health care ...if i live that long! In fact, the nurse was quite insulting about it. She insinuated that i may have a fungal type infection, and suggested that I use the same sort of cream that is used for yeast infections. Please, if you have found out anything that can give me a clue as to the cause of this horrible smell, then I would really appreciate it. I am an extremely clean person, and this is really upsetting for me.
Helpful - 0
Has anyone had a successful diagnosis as to what could be the problem or found an improvement?  I am a 45 year old male who started to notice a similar foul cheesy smell from my bottom a few weeks ago, I shower daily am and pm but the smell seems to be getting stronger, I have been on a long course of antibiotics and wondered if the good bacteria in my body has been killed off, I decided to try pro biotic yogurt drinks to replace and increase the good bacteria, no improvement yet though, I am too embarrassed to visit my Dr
Helpful - 0
i'm a 27yr old male i also have the same problem, had colonoscopy and all kinds of test done but everything comes negative. i had this problem for seven years. i wonder if there is anything that i can do to fix it. i have changed to several diets but no luck , its frustrating and embarrasing.
Helpful - 0
You need an evaluation for a fistula.  You may have a connection between your vagina and your rectum.  

There's also a chance you have a rectocoele which is like a pouch in your rectum that catches fecal matter (where the smell might be coming from).  You think you have wiped everything away and that your rectum is clear but it's probably not.

Both of these things can be caused by labour, especially if it was long ie delayed 2nd stage.  Or you had an assisted birth where forceps were used or you had a 3rd or 4th degree tear that wasn't stitched up correctly.

You probably need an evaluation done by a proctologist who knows what they are looking for.
Helpful - 0
Listen--everyone who is experiencing a rotten fish odour in their smells (urine, anus, vagina, penis, sweat, breath) you do not have an infection or trimethylaminuria. You are all undiagnosed diabetics! You have an unusual case of diabetes where due to stress (primarily stress) your blood sugar rises extremely rapidly and free falls to the point where you are all experincing diabetic ketoacidosis. The ketones are feedingoff you fat and muscle tissue and liver and creating a harmful and digustingly noxious odour of rotten fish. You may have gotten tested and the doctors may tell you that you are fine, but you really are not. This is a stress issue and it will cause your blood sugars to get gooned and create a living hell for you. Try and get tested and relate to your doctor that it isn;t a fasting blood sugar issue its a slow acting insulin system combined with the stress hormones creating this smell. This also goes for bodybuilders with bad armpit smells and for those with bad breath (If your general hygene is good).
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem
man 28 yr old. I really don´t know what to do.. very embarrasing..which specialist should I contact?
Helpful - 0
If you had an infection your WBC would be up, you would feel "off", perhaps have a fever, feel sleepy and/or groggy.
Perhaps you guys are reacting to a food that you can not digest.
There could be some undigested fecal matter lingering about your large intestine.
I would take Metamucil for a week, and drink lots of water, just to move the waste material out quicker, and find easier relief. But only for a week.
You do not want to lose too many nutrients and water from your system when you cleanse yourself that long.
Soap and water will not help this matter of smell.  However at the drugstore you can find cleansing solutions specifically for 'pericare' a spray that eliminates bad odours.
After your BM spray your bum and wipe it dry.
The spray is not the solution to your problem but might help it somewhat.
It helps me somewhat, and I am using it daily.
Helpful - 0
I don't think so because I am a man and have the exact same problem.  If I were you, I'd listen to Wesman_C.  I think he might be right in this.  
Helpful - 0
Same problem...smelly embarrassing anus/rectum. I am a super clean hygienic person, cover it up with body butter/sprays. I have a CHEESINESS (a light paste if you will) residue though, it smells disgusting, sometimes fishy, pungent, but in a gross neanderthalic way, I like it. Sorry for honesty. I have tried doctors on 8 different occasions, General, GI, Colonoscopy, Prescriptions for difucan, anti-fungals, candida treatment, pinworm treatments, topical steroids creams, detox/diets, cleanses, fistula, fissures, frequent hardcore enemas, veterycin, ALL NEGATIVE/INEFFECTIVE RESULTS, was about to see an anal specialist about this issue, but then my insurance was gone. & If it was rare diabetes, I think I would have other symptoms?
I can't believe it's going on 3 yrs with this issue & still no solution on internet/lack of content. I feel sorry for everyone else with this issue & wish to be confident again... as I am a 32YO gay man & my love life has been troubled for 3 yrs. because of this.I want my *** to be SWEET again.
Helpful - 0
yeah, I think this sounds right. I have the same problem and it smells stronger when I watch porno movies; it's like a noserunning in the bottom when I watch porn. but one thing, I apply vaseline first, and then sprey a lot of powder on two tissue paper and close it in the place. It helps a lot. a tiny bit of left smell though. yeah, It's like living in hell and very embarrasing.
Helpful - 0

I kinda have an odor issue , but it's far from smelling like fish. Through my research tonight, I found out that there's this TMAU also know as a Fish Odor Syndrome Disorder. Sadly there is no cure for it. (I hope that's not you , possibly we have)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria

Feel free to watch this girl's video that I also just watched.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/207141/smells_like_dead_fish/
Helpful - 0
This is the same odor I had when my toenail got mangled by a hot tub falling on it during moving.  I put that cream that comes with the monistat under my toenail and the smell was gone in two days.  I wonder......
Helpful - 0
i wanna say i have like foul foul foul smell. like im passing gas and im not.for one i dont have anal sex. i take bleach baths every day. now bleach baths dont work.it hurts  real bad.i tried to comitted suciude.but i snap out of it i have three kids.and they need me.i went to diffrent doctors and they dont know anythang.i even had a colonl uscopy done.i hope i spell that right back there.but it came back alright,my good bactirea was gone,only had bad bactirea. then i took antidiotics good bacctirea.and now im here,still need help.so can some one  please help me thank you.
Helpful - 0
tmv
Are you having pain in that area? My mom had infected hemorrhoids, they were internal, and she complained of similar smells.
Helpful - 0
I know someone who has this problem or a similar one. His doctor told him it’s to do with his hut flora (gut Bacteria). He was told not to eat processed food or sweets. He was told to take a probiotic, eat yogurt and drink Yakult. He has been doing all of the above plus he has been drinking peppermint tea (although he wasn’t told to do this by his doctor) because he read that it was good for the gut.

This has helped i.e. the odour isn’t as bad as it was before and it’s only there some of the time not all of the time like it was before but the problem hasn’t been solved. He has been referred to a Gastroenterologist but hasn’t seen him yet.
Thought this might help.
I'm talking to DV425
I bet it's a type of fungus. There is a cream used for this , it takes about 2 weeks to get rid of it! You have to rub the cream in the anus and vigina area! Ask the doctor which cream they provide in the US ! You have to be careful with certain creams, it can cause you to itch and then you have a full blown skin infection down there, which is hard to get rid of cause it's hard to keep that area dry. My daughter had this problem for a year , When  I lived in th US, two pedi doctors had no idea what was causing this smell. When I moved to France, our general doctor knew right away what it was! There is nothing to see on the anus, this is why so many doctors don't know what it is. Maybe try a derm doctor. Can't remember the name of the cream, sorry. Don't give up, don't take no for an answer! Keep trying different doctors until you find one with knowledge to this problem. There is a cure for it.
Helpful - 0
The problem is the hemorrhoids...Buy Hemorrhoidal Suppositories and a laxative take the laxative first..once that is over insert a hemorrhoidal suppositories into the rectum it will shrink the hemorrhoids. You might have to use preparation H  Ointment to put on the hemorrhoid to push them  in so you can insert the hemorrhoidal suppositories..Hemorrhoidal Suppositories is by a company by the name of Healthy Accents telephone number is 1-866-322-2439 ....I brought the medicine at Food Loin Supermarket..It has only been 2 weeks but no smell so far...I am not a doctor just a victim..I hope my info was helpful someone else..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.