A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

Exercise Tachycardia

Hello,

For the past few months, I have been noticing that when I work out intensely, I begin feeling light headed and nauseous.  I went to a cardiologist and wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours and the results showed my heart rate going up to 200 while exercising (no arrhythmias, just really fast "normal" beats).  The doctor suggested I either try regulating my heart rate myself, or go on 25 mg of beta-blockers (metoprolol).  After trying to regulate my heart rate on my own, I've feel as if I can't get a good work out in and still keep my heart rate below 170 (what doctor recommended for my age).  I am a 22 year old Caucasian female. I am hesitant to try medication, but also want to be able to work out hard and gain cardiovascular fitness.  

It also seems like beta blockers interact with a lot of things.  Will I feel tired all the time at this low a dose (25 mg).  I am also a graduate student, so being fatigued in combination with no caffeine could be disastrous. At this low of a dose, do I still need to stay away from caffeine and will I feel tired?

Also, there is a note to stay away from alcohol.  I don't drink often (maybe 2x a month), but I'm very hesitant to take a daily medication and also stop drinking completely and caffeine.

Also, must I take it every day, or could I just take it when I want to have a hard workout and not have to worry about my heart rate?  If I could take it "as needed", how long until it's out of my system so I can have caffeine and drink alcohol without concern for negative side effects?

Thanks!  Sorry it's so long!
1 Responses
You should just map out a exercising plan so that you know what your limit is and when you feel comfortable enough to make your exercising sessions longer take action don't push your self to hard.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.