Exercise Tachycardia

For the past few months, I have been noticing that when I work out intensely, I begin feeling light headed and nauseous.  I went to a cardiologist and wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours and the results showed my heart rate going up to 200 while exercising (no arrhythmias, just really fast "normal" beats).  The doctor suggested I either try regulating my heart rate myself, or go on 25 mg of beta-blockers (metoprolol).  After trying to regulate my heart rate on my own, I've feel as if I can't get a good work out in and still keep my heart rate below 170 (what doctor recommended for my age).  I am a 22 year old Caucasian female. I am hesitant to try medication, but also want to be able to work out hard and gain cardiovascular fitness.  

It also seems like beta blockers interact with a lot of things.  Will I feel tired all the time at this low a dose (25 mg).  I am also a graduate student, so being fatigued in combination with no caffeine could be disastrous. At this low of a dose, do I still need to stay away from caffeine and will I feel tired?

Also, there is a note to stay away from alcohol.  I don't drink often (maybe 2x a month), but I'm very hesitant to take a daily medication and also stop drinking completely and caffeine.

Also, must I take it every day, or could I just take it when I want to have a hard workout and not have to worry about my heart rate?  If I could take it "as needed", how long until it's out of my system so I can have caffeine and drink alcohol without concern for negative side effects?

Thanks!  Sorry it's so long!
You should just map out a exercising plan so that you know what your limit is and when you feel comfortable enough to make your exercising sessions longer take action don't push your self to hard.