First Prenatal Check-Up

So I had my first prenatal appt today with the new doc and i have to say... I LOVE this guy and his staff!! No real exam, just Q&A, medical hx, went and did my labs and he scheduled my first u/s for 2 weeks from today. I am so excited!! I am happy to have a doc that does first trimester u/s, he has the machine in his office, which is so convenient and he apparently likes to use it.

He adjusted my EDD to October 28th and his personal guess is a baby girl, 7 lbs, 11 ounces born on my due date. I thought it was funny he even threw it out there, boy wouldn't it be great if he was right ; )

The staff was great, they seemed to have a great relationship with all the patients, immediately seemed to warm to me and vice versa. I am looking forward to the prenatal care this time around. My only gripe is that I didn't find this guy sooner!!

Andi
Andi, That's awesome that you found a good doctor.  I have my first prenatal visit on March 29th.  I should be between 9 and 10 weeks by that point.  I get to meet with a midwife and the doctor and the doctor does an ultra-sound.  I can't wait.  (The midwife works with the doctor I guess- I  really don't know much about how that works).

Good luck to you.  Funny about how your doctor guessed the sex and weight- that would be cool if he was right... guess you just have to wait and see at this point. :)  Let us know how your ultra sound goes.

-Amanda
Thanks! He seems like a great guy and his staff is awesome. Good luck with your appt, too! I am unale to use a midwife due to being high risk, but my understanding is that you can get all of your care through the midwife, she then reports it to the supervising doc.

It would be nice to have a girl, I already have two rambunctious boys, it would be nice to vary things a little bit : )

Andi
A girl would  give you a much needed break I am sure.  I had two girls 3.5 years apart and then a boy 2.5 years after my middle child.  WHOA!! I was not ready for the boy-my first child was wild but NOTHING like my son. He will be three and is non stop all the time.  I am glad you had a good visit.  Not to step on anyone's toes but I read in a post from you a little while back< something to the effect that you actually were not really TTC.  I have friends that put so much stress into TTC, that it seems like the fun is taken out of it and it is more like work.  My one friend stopped trying and was PG within two months.  Anyway congratulations!!!
Andi,
i didnt know you were pregnant, your due around the same time i am. i am due on nov 5. thats really cool. i have my first app next week. they have already dont two hcg on me. one was 110 and the other 48 hrs later was 287. so why does your doc think your having a girl?
Kelle
We weren't "officially' TTC. We were going to take a 2 cycle break (March and April, resume in May) from it to avoid another holiday baby, it just isn't fair to them. My oldest is in early December and he gets shafted when it comes to the party and all. Our original plan was to get pg in Feb to have an october baby, which is exactly what happened. Once we "stopped" TTC it happened. In my heart, I knew it would, but by taking the pressure off dh, it allowed things to happen naturally without all the stress involved.

I am happy to say all three were planned and very much wanted ; )

I hear you on the boy thing, my oldest is 4 (Jonathan), my youngest (Tristan) will be 2 in May, they are almost exactly 2.5 years apart. This one will be 1 month shy of being 2.5 years younger than Tristan. It is amazing how in the end, despite all my losses, my children were born the distance apart exactly how I wanted it to be. Now if we could just get a girl this time ; )

Andi
I had two m/c between the girls.  I had this big idea that 18 months apart would be great. Someone else thought differently.  Mine are 8, 5, and almost 3.  It really is a good age difference-I would not want any older between the girls if I had to choose. The younger two get along great but he beats her up because she will not defend herself.  My oldest showed him a long time ago that he can not be the bully that he thinks he is.
I had three m/c before my first, one in between them, and one before this pg. I grew up half the time being raised by a single mom and the other half in a blended family. My siblings at my moms house were all 5 years apart. That was too far apart in my book. At my dad's, my brothers were 18 months apart and one was 9 months older than me, that was way too close!! Dh and his brother are 3 years and they were far benough apart to have their own social lives, but still close enough to have things in common at the same time.

But man oh man does it keep a girl busy chasing after two boys under 5 and another on the way : ) I have no idea how my gram raised 5 on her own after being widowed so young.

Andi
That's great that you found a doc that you really like. It makes all the difference in the world to be with someone with whom your comfortable. I love my OB but in Canada they won't see you until 12 weeks at the earliest but usually not  until 16 weeks so I'm stuck with my "old school" GP until then who looks at me like I'm crazy every time I request hcg blood work, etc. Anyway, glad to hear that you're in good hands.
Funny how things work out sometimes.  My DH and I actually did the same thing-- we decided to take a break from TTC for a few reasons- one of them being the holiday birthday idea that we didn't want the child to share a holiday.  I had actually thought I had already O'd when we conceived.  I guess I O'd late. What a great surprise!

This is my first so I'm pretty nervous.  I figure I'm probably due around Nov 4th, but according to my LMP I would be due Oct. 30th.  I figure since I O'd later, my due date should be later.  We shall see what the doctor says at the end of the month.

Again, I hope you get your girl. :)

God Bless.
Amanda
I'm glad your first apt. went well. Sounds like a great DR. Hopefully he's right and it will be a girl. Just for fun, look up chinese conception chart online, and match your age and the month you conceived and it will tell you if it's a boy or girl. it worked for my mom, sister, cousin, and me, so maybe there is something behind it, if not it's fun anyway.
Congrats on finding a wonderful doc. I fortunatelywas recommended to my WONDERFUL doctor when I needed to have my D,E, & C. I have to drive at least 45 minutes and go through the city of pittsburgh to get to him but I will not go anywhere else, it really makes a differanc when you have a good doctor that you trust. My doc. actually thanked me for letting him be part of bringing my baby into the world!!! Congrats again and good luck.
Congrats Andi! And so glad that you have had such a great experience with the new Doc. I had a Midwife deliver Sarah (my first) and it was such a terrific experience. I wanted Midwives to deliver the rest of the kids but due to higher risk factors, was not able to. Sarah actually sees a midwife a lot of the time for her menstrual problems. She feels so comfortable with her and she just reports everything to the Doc.
I sure hope you get your Girl this time. I have two boys and three girls. Luckily the boys are less than 2 years apart and they are great friends with a lot in common and have each other to take out their masculine aggression on instead of picking on the girls. I won't say that boys are easier or harder than girls, just different. One great thing would be that a girl would have two BIG brothers to look after her and protect her. Sounds like everything happened just the way it was supposed to. And *fingers crossed* for pink bows!
--J