Foul Gas x 1week before mentrual period every month

I am 32 y/o female 5'7", 150lbs, 2 children and happily married. I do not take any medication or BC pills. I have minimal stress. (many blessings!)My problem: Every month approx one week prior to onset of my period...I experience horrible foul smelling flatulence.  It is embarrasing and needless to say hard to ignore. 3-4x times a year it is accompanied by severe and sudden onset diarrhea, migraine, and other common PMS symptoms.  In researching this topic, I find much on PMS symptoms and treatment...but little mention of this particular problem other than "IBS" or "bowel changes". I do not have mood swings (even husband agrees) but, I am often more tired, clumsy-(I drop things), stutter, and have uncomfortable back pain DURING my period.  What is causing this smell? I am not kidding when I say it is THE foulest odor you can imagine and for 3-4 days of the 1 week it is frequent. Obviously, I try to "hold it in" if in room with others and it is not explosive but, it is so foul I even wake up in the middle of the night because the smell has woken me. I have what I would consider "normal" gas normally.  Please help...I want to know the specific physiologic reason it occurs and what I can do about it.  Thank you.
Just wanted you to know that I had these symptoms of horrible smelling gas along with back pain before I got my period and it was endometriosis. I had laproscopic surgery, then got pregnant two months later and one year and no more symptoms. Hormones are definitely at play, I will get my thyroid levels checked after I finish breastfeeding.
wow! for years i have had this prob. always seemed to avoid being around anyone while it was  happening until the other day. My poor bf was like " oh my god was that you?" i owned up to it and felt really stupid! for the rest of the day i held it in which made my cramps worse. letting "it" go really helps relieve my horrible cramps. like a few other women on this page i also have endometriosis. i have had painful periods since i was about 20 where i typically throw up and have severe bleeding for the 1st two days. my perids last about 7 days, ectreme bloating, awful mood seings and headaches the works. Ive had a hard time at work with the pain as well and if you work with women who have never experienced bad periods they think your a wimp and will never understand! glas to know im not alone and that i can tell my boyfriend its not my fault haha
hmmm i guess i should read before i post, lots of typos, sorry!
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I am 27yrs old and suffering from The same thing. It is the foulest smell ever. I would be thrilled to know exactly what causes it. Mine is also accompanied by sever bloating and what I like to call my "pregnant belly" because my stomach becomes so distended I can push it out to look about 6mon preggers! So far I haven't been able to find any help. But good to know I'm not the only stinky girl onthe world :-)
Please or to view.
I was googling this problem and came across this forum.  I am 22 and have been suffering from this issue as well although the amount of gas in my body continues is supplied throughout the entire week. Although I managed to cut out the foul flatulence, which is by cutting out the cheese/milk from my diet a week before menstruation (however, it is still EXTREMELY difficult because I'm on a natural menstruation, which varies from month to month), but I'm still left with lots of gas albeit they don't stink.  Now, I'm left with controlling the sounds I make while I'm out in public and often resort to crop dusting. The real question is, how in the world can we cut out the gas in our bodies during menstruation????
@AmandaWallace- You might want to look up the symptoms of Celiac's Disease. I got diagnosed a year and a half ago and also had the pregnant belly look, plus digestive/gas issues.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi I am 19yrs. old and I am sooooooooo glad and relieved that I am not the only one that feels this way I seriously thought something was wrong with me! And it always happens a week before my period is that normal????? I am so happy to hear I am not the only one that has this problem!
You guys I am a vegan and eat about no processed foods. If it stinks that bad, you probably have a poor diet. You need to eat more fresh and raw foods. Stop eating processed foods, including fast food. What I have been reading it is natural as the body is sending out signals to release the lining of the uterus and the instestines get caught in the cross fire. So it is apparently normal as we have read. But it stinks because of your diet. Even too much meat will cause odor. Just my opinion.
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
What an absurd comment "vegan often equals an intellectualised eating disorder" Truth being that it's highly intelligent of a human to be vegan as they have taken control of their health, the future of this planet, and vitally important, they do not wish to be party to the grotesque torture and slaughter of animals who desire to live. Yes, animals love too and want to have families of their own and do not want to die. Why should vegans keep it to themselves? Why shouldn't they wear it on their sleeves? Especially when innocent animals are abused and murdered for the taste of a meat sandwich.
Oh my, I am experiencing this hell of nature right now. The diarrhea started Monday, the gas Wed., then my cycle today. The gas machine that is my bowl has been on full, stinky blast. If I normally ever do have flatulence, it's not like this--only during this time.

Couple of things, this started happening when I turned 40 (now 41). I was always lucky to have a normal 28-day cycle that lasted 3 days with few problems. Not anymore! Now it's every 35-40 days, heavy lasting 5-6 days, spotting in between with the crazy symptoms above (also add bloody stools).

I have another appointment with my Gyno next week--they put me on the "mini-pill" and it made it worse!!!

look up Diverticulosis. This causes bloody stools and all of these other symptoms. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago at the age of 41. You need a gastro doctor, not a Gyno. God bless, and good luck
Please or to view.
I am 30 and my friend and I have always called it "period gas". I think more women have it than will admit to it, but I also had it during pregnancy, with both my children. As for the monthly loose stools, my doc said they were caused by the same hormones that make out uterus contract (intestines contracting) to shed the lining (our period ). Don't have any suggestions, other than Gas-X and keeping a food diary. HTH!
I wonder if there are evolutionary causes behind us getting this unfortunate, foul smelling flatulence. Could it be that by this way, female mammals may be keeping the males off them during menstruation I wonder. [..if other female mammals suffer from the same thing too because many mammals have overt or covert menstruation]
Well you can add my 15 almost 16 yr old to the bunch.  She's been getting terrible bloating and burping monthly - along with a little stinky but not terrible farting.  We eat about half and half process/natural foods - but she does eat a ton of vegetables (more than most teens I would guess).  She doesn't drink milk or soda so that helps but is a big cheese/yogurt eater.  I'll get her on the suggestions and watch this discussion.  Plus will try gasX.  thanks for the suggestions everyone!
OMG, I thought I was the only one.   The gas, the pain, the mood swings, the headache...everything!
Thanks for your comments and advice. (-;
Please or to view.
I think a lot of this has to do with our diets.  If we eat "bad" food on a regular basis, this is already built into our digestive system.  When the hormones go out of whack during our monthly cycle, the IBS can kick in and cause all kinds of havoc.  I use to have this problem too, but my work around was due to gull bladder issues starting to develop.  I stayed away from fast food, soda and processed foods.  I also started taking Philipps Colon Health pills each night... which are great!  The pills help reduce gas in general and I no longer had the bad gas during PMS time.  I am a firm believer that our diet is related to a lot of the issues we experience.  Try staying away from the bad foods and take the Phillips Colon Health and see if that helps.
I'm vegan too and I have this stanky problem. I think it's the production of prostalgndins that's the culprit. The nerves in that region of the body are pretty mashed up as well.  But there's nothing wrong with cutting back on processed foods.  I'm stoked to try out activated charcoal!!!!
Please or to view.
my ex-husband used to call them period farts and they came at the same time every month, right before my period and for the first day or two once it started (i'm very near menopause now, missed one period, but am certain i'm going to get it this month because i'm once again having period farts.)

other  period symptoms?  dramatically increased sense of smell (my grandmother had the same thing) and crazy sex drive.
I have the same thing. Heavy periods, bad cramps, and stinking farts. I have endometriosis. I cut out caffeine, cut out dairy, went to a mostly plant based, low sodium diet. This is my first month of trying it so its still on trial but so far i feel much better with the PMS, bloating, cramping, mood swings, and breast tenderness, like nothing compared to how I used to be. Im gonna start something like a miralax to keep my bowel clean throughout the mouth since Endometriosis can cause alot of problems with that. We"ll see what happens. Thank you for posting, and I wish you all the best.
Please or to view.
Wow - I have just discovered this post and like many of you ladies suffer with foul smelling wind a week before my period until I turned 40ish. For the past 3 years I have had no flatulance problems whatsoever. I haven't changed my diet (I've always eaten very healthy) or changed anything significant. I just think the flatulance was due to monthly hormonal changes. I think I am in the premenopausal stages and maybe that's why the wind has stopped. Just a thought.
just fart to your heart's content. at least it feels good when it's out! and farts are supposed to stink! consider it comic relief every month :) lol.
Wow! I can't believe how old this thread is and yet women are still adding to it. Just goes to show how many of us suffer from the same thing! I think it's great that we can all talk about this and exchange advice.
I'm 32 yrs old and a mom to a 6 yr old. I never had any PMS growing up(started period at 11) or any.issues during period either..not even cramping.  But i did have a heavy flow. It became less and less as i got older. I'm not on BC either and have a good diet.
I recently figured out it was appr a week before my period that I started experiencing this. It is CRAZY how a women's body changes once she hits her 30's. Now at 32 a week before my period,  I have extreme bloating, CRAZY gas, dizzy spells, back pains like labor pains, and total nausea. A lot like pregnancy symptoms!  I started keeping track of how ofteb this happens and realized it was always right before period was due. I.didn't know these issues were SO COMMON (nausea,  gas, dizziness) before period or even during. But once i researched, i saw how there's sooooo many women dealing w the same thing. I really was thinking that i was pregnant every month! Bc all these really are soo similar!  But once the tests were coming out negative,  I.began to worry that there was something wrong with me.  I have not found anything that works except emetrol syrup for the nausea.  It alsi helps me release the gas too. But regarding the odor, i have no had any luck. Has anyone tried these suggestions from the other members?? Curious if anything worked.
-Donna
Please or to view.
Saw this reply on another forum and I thought it might be helpful. Many women go through this every month so its not the foods that you eat:
While the foods you eat are important, you are saying that the approach of your period is what makes the difference to your farting. As I understand it, this is because of the increased production of a hormone-like chemical called prostaglandin series 2. The purpose of this is to stimulate the muscles of the uterus to shuck off the lining that has been built up over the preceding few weeks, causing a period.

Series 1 and series 2 prostaglandins act differently and can get very out of balance as the menstrual cycle progresses. If there's excess series 2 then this necessary muscle stimulation can get out of hand and cause the pain of muscle cramps and also affect the bowel and bladder. Like all chemicals in the body, they do lots of things and it's all stupidly complex. But the effect on the digestive tract can be to change the production of digestive juices and stimulate the peristaltic muscles - both of which can cause excess gas.

The traditional way of counteracting the series 2 prostaglandin is to increase the production of series 1. And that's where the essential fatty acids come in, specifically the omega-6 GLA (gamma-linoleic acid) found in borage oil (starflower oil) and evening primrose oil. You may find it helps to take borage oil for a week before you expect the symptoms to begin. Some take it all month.

A less natural option is to inhibit the production of prostaglandin series 2 in the first place. This can apparently be done by taking NSAIDS (aspirin, ibupofen etc.) during the week approaching the onset of symptoms. If the production of the prostaglandin is reduced, it may make your period last a little longer because the muscles of the uterus aren't working so hard.

Source(s):

http://www.endo-resolved.com/prostaglandins.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandin
I am so glad I am not the only one who suffers from this.  Usually I try to keep away for everyone when this is happening but that can not always be possible.  I think I will try the Evening Primrose as suggested in a previous post.  I did tell my boyfriend about it, well basically warned him, and now it sort of makes us giggle but I would obviously prefer if it did not happen.  The other day I was in a queue in the Post Office and I could feel one coming on, panic.  There was a guy in front of me who looked like he had been working on a building site, he had mud all over his shoes, fresh mud.  So I moved a little closer to him, stinky arrives and I promptly moved back.  Everyone thought it was him.  I know it was awful but it worked.  Luckily this time I had a few moments warning but that is not always the case.  I was giggling to myself all the way home.  
Dinosaur
External User
I had the same issue.I had an outgrown number of bacteria on my intestine (h.pylori) I take pills of enzymes,probiotics and activated charcoal( absorbs the odor)
This issue took me years to somebody to figure it out.This issue can develop IBS as well.Stay away from conservatives,sorbitol,grease,fast food and processed food. some places call this S.E.B.O.
The test used to detect this is an O2 test..usually doctors do all kind of crappy test that dont help out a bit.
Good luck
Please or to view.
Magnesium works. Give it a go and you will see. I bought it over the counter and i take 2 tablets daily and the amount of gas is still there BUT the smell is totally neutralised !
Please or to view.
I too have terrible gas and cramps coming up to my period. I noticed whilst on holiday in June, my period came and went without any gas or issues. Very shocked!!! Then July,August I went back to my smelly ways. The only thing I could pin point was that I rather drank coffee on holiday and had no dairy for the whole week because it was horrible. I also eat less bread. Think I may have to try my theory out next month. :)
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Thank you so much for nailing that idiot where it hurts. Wonder if we should tell him that when a woman is in labor the pressure from that is equal to 53 bones fracturing at the same time. Bet he'd **** his pants before it got past the first stage of a period lol
My post is purely anecdotal. I agree with this theory.  For months, I have significantly reduced my intake of caffeine, cheeses and milk products and noticed that the foul flatulence 1 week before my period was practically non-existent.  I also ate more veggies and less meat.  In the past month, literally 1 month, I had to take a trip back east and had started a bad cycle of the "old" diet- included more meat, cheese, milk, and this past week alone have been drinking coffee with some skim or soy and had pizza twice. It is one week before my period and the flatulence is back.  I'm now back home and can get back on my regimen of leafy greens, fruits, nuts and almond milk.  No more pizza!
I am 34 years old and have the same problem.  It is a sulferous smell and usually one week before my cycle.  It doesen't seem to matter what I eat, I just have gas and it is horrible.  Trying to find all natural solutions. I don't use birth control. I noticed its worse since I've cut back on exercise because of a knee injury. Maybe that was helping and I was less aware of it.  Thanks to all the people who shared their stories.
Please or to view.
Frank, if this is happening near or during that 'time of the month' for her and/or if she has irregular (as in, not everyday) bowels... This is not unusual for women with the above symptoms.  As in, she cannot help it and yes, the escaping gas is truly a surprise.

C.
Seeing advertisements for sanitary products, one would imagine that tampons solve all our problems, with a few painkillers perhaps.  What's evident is, that myth is a half-picture and this normal female process suffers from taboo even in medical realms and marriages.
Thank you Moony3005231 - I long thought that the finale of the cycle must be aggravating the digestive system something rotten; so prostaglandins are at the bottom of it. For me this can continue well into the bleed.  After reading the helpful above discussion, I'll begin evening primrose again to try and pin down why it's such a problem when it is.  For me I know it's not lack of greens or too much processed food or excess dairy that's for sure.  Thank you for the magnesium tip-off, though I think I'm not lacking that either.
The social side especially the intimate one looms large and I can't help but feel that our modern relationships & dwellings should be able to accommodate us women for all we contribute through the pervasive cycle.  Give us some space!
Awww, poor little non-farting Frankzhere.  Does your repulsion mean you can't get it up to eject sperm?
I bet she's thrilled with that.  Oh happy day...fart away girlfriend!
I have the same problem. Only mine often is TWO weeks before!  And smells so bad it makes me feel sick. I found an herbal tea that really helps me. I found it at a discount store once and bought it just because it was an organic tea. It's Herbal Medicinals PMS tea. It works for a few hours then have another cup. It got me through the holidays without stinking up everyone's house. When you will be out for a while don't forget to bring a bag or some tea with you!
Update from last post. Try the PMS tea for water retention, not the cinnamon PMS tea.
hey could you keep me posted on your journey ? i am undiagnosed endo and any help relating to this is a miracle to be honest especially with pain bloating and bowel problems. ta
Please or to view.
Guys, I tried activated charcoal - Natures Way brand, two capsules a couple hours before a meal, and so far its worked. My farts have been so toxic and terrible two weeks before and up until my period (at night mostly) and this has greatly helped. I got it at the organic food Co-op where I work, so I trust it to be a safe, natural remedy as well.
You cant use that if you take prescription meds right?