Foul menstrual blood odor

I have never noticed much of an odor with my period, up until last month and now today.  It is absolutely revolting!!!  The blood has gone from being a lightish red to a deepish red-brown and it's kinda gooey and ickey.  I have not experienced many vaginal infections of any type in my life (I'm 38), so I'm very concerned about this smell.  I tried using the 3-day Monostat, but it appears to not have worked.  I'm really scared about this abrupt change in the odor.  On top of it all, I don't have any health insurance.  What should I do about this?  I can't risk getting naked with my man because the smell is literally that bad.  
Go to a clinic like Planned Parenthood.  They have a sliding rate scale.  It could be a bacterial infection, in which Monistat won't help you.
Thank you!  What a relief to get that as an automatic answer instead of.....the dreaded c word.  I shall take care of it.  I'm assuming one would have to wait until the period is over before going in or not?
If the problem is odor with your period, go when you have it.  I wouldn't wait.  If they want to see you after your period, they will tell you so.  If they don't tell you so, ask.
gd day sir my name is francisca i also have the same problem as annie mine is that any time am on the blood gushes out to nuch that i use 2-3 tampoons a day and the odor of the blood is just badddd
i need your help
I went to the doctor and I have a bacterial infection.  I'm taking these revolting antibiotics, but they are taking care of the problem.  I would recommend that you go to a doctor or clinic as soon as possible as you don't want the problem to escalate and get out of hand.  Good luck.
I experienced an increase in mentrual blood smell and a darker color in my early 40's...I thought it was part of pre-menopausal effects.  Then I learned that I had heavy metal toxicity.  Years of eatingout of cans, drinking tap water and taking antibiotics for all my ailments caused it. Once I detoxed my body, not only did the odor and dark color go away, but I no longer have pms or pain during my cycle!  I feel better all the way around.  Juice fasting and eating fruits and veggies for a few weeks will clear your mind, your body and is the way our ancestors used to take care of illness.  Stay away from antibiotics if you can.  
am really tired of going to the doctors for the same problem does detoxing and fasting really works? am 34 yrs old and also have uterine fibroids which is interfering with me conceiving, is there anything i can do to shrink them naturally?
Yes! Look up dr Michael VanDerschelden's "Ketogenic Diet and cancer" (I know uterine fibroids are completely benign and nothing to worry about, but this has worked for people with tumors that I know of, so it probably will work for uterine fibroids). I tried it and my cramps went away (I had severe cramps!) and my sister tried it and got her period back (she had PCOS). Hope this helps you!
Ups, it posted twice :D, sorry about that