Had my Mirena IUD removed

Had it removed 4 weeks ago exactly due to terrible problems from it. I wont post my story unless you want to know. Last week I had pain on my left ovary and today pain on my right. Its almost like a pinching feeling. Leads me to believe it (they) are cysts. When I normally am not on BC I have 28 day cycle. But not sure what to think since just having the IUD removed. Anyone have experience with this ?
What problems did you have?

I had the mirena for 4.5 yrs. Once I had it removed I did not have a period for 3 months and like you I had pinching etc...They performed a scan and no cysts found...
I got the IUD on 3/21/06 and loved it ! Insertion was painful but not terrible. I loved not having to worry about pills, patches, condoms whatever. Well about 1 month after getting it I developed acne. It wasnt terrible but I never had acne before. I figured it was from the hormone in the IUD. I could deal with that. In mid - July I developed a yeast infection that would not go away. (I also had one in April but it went away with meds) I had it from July-Sept and even after that I would have bouts of itching and irritation. My dr's told me it was from one of the following detergent, soap or toilet paper. I have always used free & clear detergent, Dove soap for sensitive skin and Angel Soft toilet tissue. They told me to change them one by one until I found out what was causing the irritation. I didnt do that, I figured I have been using these forever why would I need to change now ? I asked if it could be from the IUD and was told no it wasnt a side effect. So everytime I got it I would treat with OTC. They went on until I had it removed. I started suffering with depression, irritability and complete exhaustion. My hair also started falling out and I was having memory loss. I can compare the memory loss with the type you suffer during pregnancy. The one who took the brunt of my mood change was my 8 year old. I was unable to cope with him being 8 and acting they way he did. I swear I think I really could have beaten him, I wanted to. I have gotten to the point where I did push and shove him. I lost my sex drive. It didnt decrease it left completely. I didnt have sex for 2 months at a time. I had no desire for it. When I gave in to DH it was extremely painful. I did want to be with my husband but my body refused.
I did some internet research and came across forums of women who were having the same issues as me ! Some were more severe and they needed depression medications (which btw werent working). I decided that I needed to get this removed ASAP. I called the dr and 2 days later it was removed on 2/8/07. Removal was not painful at all. When the dr questioned me on why I wanted the device removed I told him the story. Do you know what he said to me ? That these are not side effects of the Mirena. BULLSH.IT !! I see it as my body did everything it could to fight off this foreign object inside of me. That day he asked me when the last time i had an infection and I told him just on Monday that I was itching. So he took a culture and what a surprise I had a bacterial infection !! He told me once again that it was from my soap and not the IUD. Gave me a prescription for some vaginal gel. Which I didnt use and guess what ?? The itching and irriatation were gone ! 2 days later my mood returned to normal. I have not had clumps of hair come out in my hands. I can sleep 6-8 hours and feel great ! I can go from the living room to the kitchen and remember why I was going there ! 11 days after removal my sex drive returned full force ! DH is very happy. I am still dealing with the acne but its slowly going away. It seems to be like a cystic acne.

OMG you had some problems...I thought it was great, no periods at all. I have many friends and even my sister with it fitted and they all think its the best thing they could have done. I have read about other people with mood swings and weight gain though. I was informed that the hormone release was minimal. It had to be because i am allergic to the pill etc...I guess we are all  so different though and as I said I did read about other people having problems...
I had mirena for about 6 months and it was the worst 6 months of my life!!! I kept telling the doctor all of the problems I was experiencing were due to the mirena iud but she didn't think I was right. So I finally had her take it out and got the copper t iud and LOVED IT! I will get that after this baby is born again. No problems whatsoever and no hormones to mess with. Mirena was a nightmare. I'm sorry to hear you are having problems still. I didn't have any once that beast was removed!
your periods will take some time to get back to normal...
I really can't believe all these bad experiences, I had mine removed to try for a baby and I want it back again as soon as I have had a baby. before the mirena my little sis had bled for 18mths continuously she has pcos. After 8 weeks with the mirena, nothing..she thibnks its a miracle. I guess we are lucky.Baby dust to ya xx
Well Andi they ARE directly related to the Mirena. You can yourself call Berlex and they will advise you of these side effects which are more common then they origiannly had stated on the information. Thats why there is a class action suit against them.
interesting, I hadn't heard and i am usually pretty current on that kind of info. Well, at least the symptoms are gone now, right? No need to get snippy, I was just commenting that they sounded like PP symptoms, much like i experience every time I have a baby.

Andrea
i had a bad experience with the mirena as well, i had it removed on jan 12, i was having side cramps, and i couldnt find my strings, the doc said that it had somehow got lodged in there and was poking me on my right side, i noticed this in december but he wouldnt take it out, he said wait one more month, it was the most painful month of my life! i will never use it again! and also i was ttc, i bleed for two days after it was taken out, then ovulated 14 days later, was suposed to start on the 10th of feb, but didnt and still im not pregnant, so i think it may have messed with me somehow, and i still dont know why af is a month late! grrr i hate the iud
Same here, I had a wonderful experience with Mirena. The hormones are incredibly low, I cannot imagine that the problem can be directly related to that alone. Heck, reading wisegirl's post sounded like everything I am going through now being 4 mos post delivery with my son and i don't even have the Mirena as my dh got fixed in Dec. oI have even considered getting it placed again anyway once I wean and my af resumes as it made it so much easier to deal with af.

I will still endorse it as I know far more with good experiences than bad. No one form works for everyone, it is always hit and miss.

Andrea
Remember they thought the patch was "safe" too. Although I never had any problems with that. But knowing now what it can cause I would not go back on it.

Do a search on Mirena IUD forums and you will be surprised at the amount of women that are enduring these effects. Some way worse than mine.
No baby dust for me LOL !!  I'm not TTC. I just wanted relief !!  NFP here now !
Whoa!! This is a very interesting post..I had no idea...Wise girl...Can i have the baby dust, I AM ttc, LOL!! I had considered Mirena after I gave birth to #1, but was afraid of the whole IUD thing, so i went back on the same pill i was on before i got pregnant. I think it is good to hear all sides of the story, and i know I will never try Mirena, pills work better for me anyways.( well they did before i was ttc, lol:} Hope you are feeling better soon and back on track, Take care..