Avatar universal

Have I had PID all these years?

Okay, so I've done some pretty dumb stuff sexually since my teens, and I had BV for a while and discovered the trick of douching with diluted hydrogen peroxide. So the symptoms of BV would go away, but every month after my period ended, I would have to repeat the process because the fishy smell would come back. I thought it was because the high pH of menstrual blood was encouraging bacterial growth. But 2-3 weeks ago I went to the ER for a bad UTI that was accompanied by bad BV, and the doctor game me Cipro for the UTI and a 2g dose of Flagyl for the BV. I'd never taken Flagyl before, but it made the BV go away immediately. Then my period came and went, but no fishy smell followed it. So I'm starting to wonder: was the recurring BV actually caused by my period because it was my uterine lining that was infected all along, and it was re-infecting my vaginal canal when it shed every month? Have I had PID all these years? If so, did the Flagyl cure it?
2 Responses
Avatar universal
I understand, but is it possible that at some point I had chlamydia or gonorrhea and it resolved itself, but while it was present it let the BV microorganisms into my uterus and gave me a chronic case of PID even after the STD resolved?
4851940 tn?1515694593
The Flagyl (metronizadole) will have treated the microbes that have caused your BV.

Never douche.  Douching changes the pH level and will encourage bacteria and fungal problems.  

If you have had chlamydia or gonorrhoea, as far as I am aware, even if you have no symptoms present, the pathogens are still there.  A specific urine test will be able to show if you do have chlamydia.  I do not know what test needs to be done for gonorrhoea.  You will need a specific penicillin to treat these 2 diseases.  The Flagyl won't be the right medication to treat the chlamydia and gonorrhoea.

Do remember that when taking Flagyl do not have any alcohol whatsoever.  It will make you very ill.

Do not have any sex until you are well healed.  
Do remember that you could still get the infection again if you have sex with someone who is contaminated - they may or may not have any symptoms.

If you think that you may have chlamydia and/or gonorrhoea, get checked out at the GUM clinic or with your doctor.  

Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.