Heavy Period that won't stop

So I recently found out I have PCOS. Backstory- I hadn't gotten my period for, well, years probably. Sometimes it would be spotty but normally no period. The gyno put me on Ortho Tri cyclene lo which was about a month ago. Every since then my period has not stopped.. Started out normal but by day 2-3 my period was so heavy I was bleeding through my undies and having to change my super plus tampon almost every hour. I had big blood clots too, ranging from as small as a dime to as big as a quarter. It started to slow down, and it went back to normal bleeding for about a week and now it's back to being super heavy again. Is this normal? I let my gyno know and she advised its probably because I hadn't had my period in so long. But now I'm really worried this can't be right. And I'm so uncomfortable I've had to change 3 times because I keep bleeding through. I'm not sure I can deal with this every month or if it doesn't stop!
You can try checking with another doctor and see their reco, I had to go through different brands before finding one that worked for me as PCOS patient too. Then after a year or two had to change again. It really depends but you can always tell your doctor it makes you uncomfy then she can give you something else