How long does it take to cure a yeast infection?

So here's the deal.  Almost 2 months ago I started getting an itching sensation on my vulva.  I was freaked out that it was a STD, and finally got the guts to face the music and go see a NP who said it is very well a yeast infection on the outside of my vagina.  (I have no abnormal discharge).  She gave me a 3 day regim which seemed to cure the itchiness, but made the area more red and irritated.  So then I got more guts and finally went to a gyno who cultured the red irritated area and checked it out.  She told me that she saw nothing abnormal but saw some yeast.  So there it was confirmed.  A yeast infection of the skin surrounding my vagina.  She gave me diflucan, in on pill to take and also gave me monistat 7 to use as well.  So I took the pill 3 days ago today and have been using the cream since.  I feel better with the itching again, but at night, I think I touch the area, so when I wake up in the morning it's red again.  I feel like these treatments aren't working.  
How long do I have to wait for the treatments to work.  Am I just expecting it to cure the yeast infection too soon? Is this something that takes time to heal?  
It's just really irritating.  It's been almost 2 months and I would like it to go away.
Can anyone give me some insights?  
Also, I got to the gym alot and wait to shower and change out of my gym clothes until I get home.  I have been obstaining from the gym since the day I went to the dr in hopes that it will help make the healing process go a little faster.  
Also, I've been using Dial bar soap to clean the area, is this too strong?
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Yeast infections do sometimes give off a foul odor.
That is not a yeast infection. It's bacterial vaginosis. Yeast infections never, ever have a foul odor. BV almost always does. I just got rid of BV and I now have a yeast infection from the antibiotics. Trust me, they are two completely things.
Monistat did the exact same thing to me. It's funny to me how it actually made my symptoms like ten times worse. I seriously thought I was going to have a nervous break down after using the Monistat. I called my gyno, and the Dr. on call gave me a prescription for Flucanzonole. I took this immediately after I called and picked it up at my pharmacy, and all my symptoms have greatly subsided this morning. Moral of the story is, schedule a Dr. visit rather than trying to treat it yourself because no woman wants to have to suffer more before you get better. :)
same here!! how fast did the yi go away? i just took my first dose last night and am still itchy and somewhat burning...i have to take the 2nd dose in 3 days per my gyno office...she said not to use any creams, etc down there just take the pill.
yes i had the same symptoms as you. My husband and I have been together for 10 years(we've been together 10, married for 2 months) we both got together real young so we are the only people eachother have been with. This past week I got the same syptoms and I went to our wacked out hospital where I live(which this past year they tries to tell me my 2 year old daughter had herpes...took her to her doctor and it was a rash from an allergic reaction) and thats what theyre trying to tell me i have. I researched everything myself(i just switched my birth control 1 week 5 days ago)(which they never asked me about that either) and everything i had was a sign of a yeast infection. I got the monistat 1 and the next day was feeling much better. Its been 3 days now and mine is pretty much gone.
   Also what I did was got the vagisil home testing kits and it said mine was a yeast infection so you could try that too.
Hi Thanks for your comment but how do you avoid sugarary foods?  I mean like all fruit has sugar, Quaker oatmeal cereal, etc.,  Should I really cut out all sugar---fruits included?  Thanks Sara
Can i ask you a question? I know this may seem wierd but i have never had a yeast infection before maybe when i was younger. This one is horrible it makes me so unconfortable. When i got to use the bathroom it makes me cry because it hurts so bad. Now ive done research and im pretty sure that is a yeast infection but i just dont know what to do.
Try some A& D ointment on the area so the pee won't sting.  Go and get Monistat cream for 7 days. Do not put soap in the vasginal area. Wear loose clothing and keep yourself dry and clean. Do not wear underwear to bed at night, area needs to breath. Yeast grows in dark wet areas. Eat yogurt and get acidophilus from the vitamin store. Refrain from sex. Good luck I am going thru it right now myself after being on antibiotics. :)
I am 15 and 2 months ago i had a nasal infection the antibiotics caused me 2 get a yeast infecton ( i refused to eat yogurt which i was directed to eat). I am 2 embarrased to go  a doctor or inform my guardians, so i researched itt and i am currently using revolting yogurt to be rid of it. Take a tampon and flavor free yogurt, smother the tampon in the yogurt and insert the tampon. I have been doing this 4 a week and i no longer am having a discharge.
Please or to view.
Starchild7- how do you prepare the garlic and oil?
So I was diagnosed with a yeast infection and my doctor gave me 150mg flucanzole to cure it n told me not to have sex for 7 days. 9 days after I took the pill my condition is better still odor in my urine only in the morning and sometime some itching. On the 9th day I had sex, my boyfriend gave me oral and I'm freaking out, can he get thrush??!!
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I have a yeast infection but im only 12 i dont know what to do i took a pill but it didnt help
Please or to view.
I dont know what to do im a very. Young age and its been very itchy down there and irritated and i dont know what to. Do im scared to go tell my parents or see a doctor i dont kbow what to do i need some help??
You can yeast infections numerous ways! I am currently nursing my first yeast infection that I believe I got from a dirty shower! I think if you tell your mom you think you have a yeast infection, chances are she has probably had one too and will know how to help you! They aren't uncommon to get. She could also help get you into a doctor to make sure it's a yeast infection, and not something else.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
By what I've read about yeast infections they do not have a smell and if you have an infection that does have an odor you should go see the Dr. right away
Thank you so much for the statement about the soap!  I was starting to feel better, but then I washed with soap today, hoping that would help.  It made it worse and I was getting worried until I read this.
I had one for over three years because the "cures" weren't working.  Finally I tried a cup full of honey after a doctor recommended it on a random video I watched. If nothing else is working you can apply a full cup of honey to the affected area and leave it on for approximately 20 minutes.  I suggest taking a timer of some sort into the bathroom and doing this process there.  Be sure to spread towels underneath you before you get started.  Honey is very drippy.  After 20 minutes rinse the honey off in warm water.  It rinses off easily although it is quite gooey.  I noticed the itching and burning disappearing about ten minutes into the process. It totally worked and I'm cured!  Always keep honey in your house just in case.  I have dealt with the open red dots too.  That's nothing serious.  It does come from breaking the skin while wiping or constipation and can be cured with a cortizone cream over the counter.
Crap, really? I took Fluconzale back in January and it didn't help. I didn't go to the gyno until March 2013 and I got another Fluconzale. Still nothing. I've been having sex too... Could this be why it isn't cured? I've had it for a long time.
To all you athletes going to less than hygenic gyms,

I picked up a total body rash in a gym that only went away when I started showering with Fungi Cure.  It's all natural and really worked. It lasts a long time too.  Follow the directions on the bottle. There's also Defense Soap that's excellent.  They both use Tea Tree Oil as one of the ingredients. I learned the hard way that you must shower immediatley after working out.  Those two products will protect you in the nastiest of showers.  But keep complaining--these clubs just don't keep their showers clean enough!
Please or to view.
These ten tips changed my life..

1: Stay Dry and Loose
2: Practice Good Hygiene
3: Avoid Harsh Soaps and Feminine Hygiene Products
4: Use Yogurt
5: Bring on the Boric - boric acid is safe
6: Try Over-the-counter Natural Fungal Creams
7: Unsweetened cranberry juice
8:Go Natural
9: Treat Both Partners
10:10: Avoid Routine Douching
This is exactly how I feel. It burns so bad. I never had one and I used monistat 1 yesterday and I woke up and it feels worse. I hope it goes away quick. I can't stop thinking about it because it hurts so bad.
I have a yeast infection and it hurts so bad. Im on a 3 day cream medication. Tonights my last night of the meds and im not better at all. It hurts extremely bad when I urinate. Please help. Do u have any advice. Im in pain
Please or to view.
I'm going through my very first one and I've had these symptoms for 3 days before actually doing something. I got monistat 7 today which comes with a cream to stop irrigation and itching.. It seems to be working and expected to go away within the next couple days!
Hi. I have never had a yeast infection. My grandma told me years ago before meds they used apple cidar vinegar to treat and prevent yeast infections. Once or twice per week put a cup of it in your bath water and wash as usual. It kills the bacteria and helps peel dead skin on your body. Also over counter meds do better at bedtime when you are flat and still. Keep area cool and dry as yeast grows n warm moist areas. If your discharge increases add another day in your week of vinegar bath. If you r too dry then skip a week. Trust me. It works.
I am in the same situation. I got yeast infection after two rounds of antibiotics for a sinus infection, took Diffucal 1-pill three days ago but still have symptoms. Should I go back to the doctor or take the monistat?
this is my first time of yeast infection i do not no what to do i am 16 year.
this is mt first time of having yeast infection i not no what to do
I agree with you. I have a yest infection also only this last January. I think the feminine wash that I used is the cause I had it ,and i was stressed also at work. So I had a yeast infection the Doctor prescribed me diflucan and cream dermofix the itch go away but it came back after my period. My doctor told me to change the feminine wash so I currently using lactacyd in the morning before I go to work and wash again after my work. Everyday I'm eating plain yogurt to help me control the infection. I tried also the 6 days clove garlic suppository before I go to bed I just inserted it to my V and when you wake up remove it. I also take accidophilus food supplement twice a day.

Now I feel good, no itching , no burning sensation inside when I pee, discharge rare only but not that much same as before. proper sleep also drink plenty of water. Good  luck I hope I provided you some ideas.
I have yeast infection and I buy this cream vasigil but it not working what should I do
OkP
I have yeast infaction for about 2 weeks I went to the doctor he gave me pill an cream but it don't work. What do I do??? I hate felinc this way
Thank you
i wish these doctors will just make some type of medicine for all lady's to cure down there i hope one day this will work mostly on woman and teenagers just keep ur hopes up high and keep strong lady's u can blame ur self on this one :)
COMMUNITY LEADER
I've had really good luck with over the counter monostat.  I use the one day which has a higher concentration of medicine.  Thing is, it takes two days.  So, if you are patient, it DOES work for many.  Diflucan is a pill doctors can prescribe which also worked well for me.  good ulck
I used to use AZO, but i switched to the Lady Soma Cranberry Pills and I find them alot gentler and easier for my system. They also work 1 day faster than AZO for me. Whenever I have issues with antibiotics or other medications that leave me with a feeling of frequency and/or generalized discomfort, the Lady Soma Cranpberry supplements has always helped greatly, especially at night or anytime I have to sit for long
I used to have chronic yeast infections When I was a teen but now I'm 45 getting them more,and more.not fun. Took monistat and it didn't do anything then went to doc and he prescribed me that pill, this is the second day so far it seems to be getting better. Is it ok to use monistat as well to make sure it goes away?
Can you give the yeast infection to your partner?
I've used both at the same time without any harsh results.
And yes you can pass it to your partner. Another disease is called hmophillus and it has much the same symptoms as yeast infection. A swab test can diagnose that but if you find yoy are getting one infection after another ask for a swab to be taken.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
If the over the counter creams aren't working- Be aware of scented soaps and detergents.  Years ago, I thought I had a yeast infection, used all the creams OTC, and was tested for everything at my Doctor 2-3 times but was negative.  The itching went on forever.  Went to two doctors each asked me if I changed detergents, I said no!  I've always used Tide my entire life.  They use to make a lavender scented one from the Tide "Simple Pleasures" line, (that I think is now discontinued), I stoped using it and the itch was gone.  So crazy, I'm not allergic to anything, and seemed to develop a sensitivity in my late twenties to scented soaps ect.  I seriously wasted so much time and energy worrying about infections and STDS, I just want to save someone/ anyone from that pain!!!  
Please or to view.
I've had a yeast infection for about 9 months now and I'm sick of it. I'm using a combo of coconut oil and tea tree oil. Been using it for about 2 weeks going into 3. I'm not sure that it seems to be working cuz I still itch and its still slightly irritated. Will my treatment work? How long does a yeast infection usually take to cure if I have it for this long???