Ingrown hair scarring on nipples

I get a lot of thick dark hairs around my nipple, many of them ingrown.  I usually try to pluck out as many as possible, but many of them are hard to get rid of.  I have caused lots of scarring around my areolas trying to get to the ingrowns.  Is there anything I can do to get rid of this scarring, and prevent all these ingrowns.  It's very embarassing, and at times I cry myself to sleep because I am so self-conscious about all the markings around my areolas.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank You.
Are you sure that it is scarring, because ingrown hairs in that area should heal really well. Could it be montgomery glands instead? Maybe shave the area and not have as many ingrown hairs as plucking? Best wishes to you.
if it turns out to be scars, try putting vitamin e on the scars.  also, don't be so self-conscious about it, it's actually a pretty common thing to have hair around your areola.  and since men will be men, i doubt that your husband/boyfriend/partner will even notice such a thing, and if he does, i doubt that he'll care all that much anyway.

hope your feeling better about the situation!

LS
i too have/am experiencing dark hairs growing around my nipples. i am 20 and this started when i was 18 or 19. at first there were only a couple, so i would pluck them, then i think i may have started plucking any hairs in that area that seemed darker or even noticeable. this was probably a bad idea i think because i think when those hairs grew back they grew back darker and thicker. and more noticeable. the only thing i've been doing is just plucking them whenever i see them, and i usually check everyday. i'm pretty self conscious about it actually. i'm afraid some guy will see one one day. it kinda sucks. i feel like the first ones started though shortly after getting a depovera birth control shot. maybe it's a hormone thing. sometimes when the hairs grow back they are slightly ingrown. or growing sideways under the skin, which i can usually see. this is the worst b/c i have to break the skin a little to get to the hair to pluck it. a couple times i had to use a sewing needle to get it. it almost always leaves a little scarring when this happens. not much but a little, it usually goes away in a couple days, but half the time by then anothers popped out. sometimes i can see a little black dot in one of the...pores? i guess, around the nipple. a couple times, i dont know why i tried it though, i can squeeze the area where the dot, which is the top of a hair, maybe? , where that is and it comes out almost like a black head or something. if the hair is already out though it doesnt work. i dont know if thats a good thing to be doing or not. anyway, you aren't alone. it's embarrasing and really annoying but it doesn't make you any less of a woman. sometimes i do it after getting out of the shower and drying off. seems to hurt less. good luck, and don't let it get you down. it could be worse.
Hey, I've got hair on my nipples too. I'm 29 now and even though I still don't like them, I've grown to be more comfortable with it. I was very self conscious about it growing up- for I couldn't find anything about girls with nipple hair. I actually had laser hair removal when I was 16, but it has all grown back which is unfortunate because it cost a lot! I still pluck when their long enough, but they do become ingrown and I end up having some scarring as well. My boyfriend never even noticed when we first got together, I couldn't believe it. It goes to show that men miss detail. It was a huge relief for me. Its natural though, we can't help it. I let it grow enough so I can pluck it, but it gets to an awkward stage when its just at the surface. you just have to wait a day or two to pluck.
i was just reading ur comment and absolutely everything that u do to fix the problem i do it also!!! it was so funny..like i was reading my own writing..anyways..im also 20 and pretty self-conscious about it...every day after taking a shower i check and pluck anything i see..when its ingrown i use a needle to slightly open the skin to let it out and sometimes when there just a dark spot i squeeze it  and it usually comes out...for me the problem is when it just wont come out when i squeeze it or when  its not long enough to pluck it out..i hate this! i usually squeeze it so hard that it turns red and i end up scaring myself...when im with my boyfriend i just turn off the lights and leave one small on...or when we take a shower i put my hair on top of my nipples to try and hide it...or kind of move so he wont notice….its really stupid i guess and ive been with him years but still..im embarrassed about it…so I just recommend u checking everyday to see if there r any hairs growing and plucking them out…or…u could just wait some days and when they r long enough u could wax them…
I was wondering…does anyone grow hairs from their nipples..like not just around them but also u can see hairs growing on the nipple? Cause I haven’t found any info on this. Any info can help thanks!
Hello... I've had this problem since I was a pre-teen. My younger sister and I have both been diagnosed with Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which can cause hormonal imbalances and is a leading cause of fertility problems. We're pretty sure this is why we have a problem with in-grown hairs, and we're looking into Laser Hair Removal. As we've reached our late-20's we're also experiencing darker hair growth on our stomachs and faces, even though we both have fair complexions...
If you have irregular periods and intense menstrual cramping, along with excess hair growth, it might be worthwhile to ask your Dr. to test your hormone levels for PCOS.

I have nipple hair growing problems aswell.Now I hate the look of my nipples because it takes ages for the scars to heal after plucking the ingrown hair.Some have not healed and scared me.They are getting better and i am trying to pluck less but when you see a dark hair i have to pluck. Does anyone know an affective way of getting rid of scars on the nipple and reducing the hair.
I have same problem... And i did the plucking stuff and then hairs started coming ingrown. I just saw about it some days ago and i got so scared that i dont think ill ever pluck them again. I have same problem on my legs (ingrown hairs) and full of scars, but in there i dont have other choice till i get laser.

comment from mermaidmama got me thinking that maybe i have an hormonal problem. i was never hairy, and since im 20 i started getting lot of hairs even in belly and face (mustache) and ofc the ones on nipple that worries me lot... ill test my hormone levels with a doctor because i think that may be the only reason.

And advice for all, all i can say is stop plucking the hairs if they are coming ingrown, is really worse to have scars (i already have all legs with scars and full ingrown, and thats why i will stop plucking in nipples). My method for now, cut them with a scissor.

Good luck to all
hey i'm 20 years old,

i got the ingrown hair thing going on too, in the nipple area. however the scaring inflates and produces pus when i squeeze the tissue to try and release the hair. is this normal?

thanks xx
I totally relate to Anne420!! I also felt like it was my own writing! If you are reading this comments you probably already suffer the ingrown nipple hair issue, so here are a few tips to help make it better:
-First of all DO NOT pluck any other new visible hairs that are not so dark, its better to leave them that way, doing this will automatically make them grow back thicker, darker and ingrown. I bet you've had enough with the ones you already have =S

-To reduce scaring, and ensure you'll get the hair out, always pluck them right after taking a warm shower. First grab a flashlight to locate any ingrown hairs through the skin.. since the skin on this area is thinner and lighter, I've found this to be very helpful on helping me locate the depth, direction, and quantity of hairs per pore of any ingrowns I might have.. Now use a thin sterilized needle and poke a small hole in the middle of the hair,and pull the hair out with the needle, this way you'll be able to take the hair out from that tiny hole and make sure you get enough hair out and make it easier to tweeze. Now pluck the hair out from the root with a good pair of tweezers, doing this in the hair's growth direction. Do this very carefully to avoid breaking the hair, and ensure you pull it ALL out.

-If something fails, AVOID digging into your skin any more at this point. Just try to relax, put on your bra on and continue with your day. Check back with your flashlight in 2 more days and you'll be able to pluck the hair right from the root. Its better to have an ingrown for 2 little days than scars for life.

Hope this helps
I too have had several of these problems, and have also been diagnosed with PCOS which causes darker hair growth... it usually is linked to proper living cycles... as soon as I started exercising more frequently, the hair growth started diminishing!  I waxed my upper lip three times or so, and now that I started exercizing and eating healthy, the lip is blonde and unnoticeable.  As well as the weird sideburns, they too have gone blonde.  So a lot of it is proper eating, sleeping, exercizing.  PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) cause higher risk of heart disease and diabetes, so if this is happening, this could be an early sign that you are not living right... For proper hormones, we need proper nutritian, activity, sleep... late hours are not good for you at all!!  Hopefully this helps anyone!
I can't believe this! I thought I was the only one with this problem, but I totally relate to Anne420 too!!! However, my problem isn't on my nipples, but on my stomach. It's terrible. I can squeeze the little black dots and a little black thing appears and I don't know if it's hair or if it is just...crud or something. But it is so annoying because I can't help but try to get the ingrown hairs out! Now my stomach is just all read and scarred and has black dots and scabs. I don't know what to do! I guess I should just leave it alone, but I fear it looks worse when I just let it go..
i have had this problem 4ever....scarring as a result of the ingrown hair...i suggest u use a skin lightener like dark and lovely...2x/day 4 a month...i've done this...it will heal even the oldest scfars..then just follow the instructions above of those 2 suggest the best way 2 remove the hair without scarring...

good 2 know i'm not the only one...sigh
I have the exact same problem as anne420. i get so embarassed about it. I'll pluck them but they just grow back really fast and worst. I've had this problem for about 2 years and I just keep getting more and more. I was too embarassed to tell anyone but I talked to my doctor about it and there's not too many options. She said believe it or not ALOT of women get it, some worse then others and most just get rid of it so you'll never know. She said you can just cut them down and when you do this, bleach them or use peroxide and they should grow back lighter and thinner, and just keep doing that. it may infect it she said. The other option is to go to a dermatologist. They can give you the laser hair treatment. I'm not sure how much it costs, I believe it's expensive. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs?
agh it's so good to see other people have this problem! I've been so paranoid about it! It makes me feel unfeminine! I am exactly the same as anne420 as well! I will take on board the advice about plucking after showers! I have some scarring from it and I have found something that helps - it's called Bio oil - try it! If i have hair on my breast and quite a bit on my stomach does it mean I have PCOS deffinitely? I mean am i going to start getting hair on my face?! anyone any idea?

thanks! and don't worry everyone, we're normal!!!
Im SO sick of picking at the ingrown hairs with a needle and then feeling horrible over the ugly brown scars. Sometimes the hair gets soo down into the skin I feel like Im doing surgery on myself to get it out.  Im surprised that only  Brunette26 mentioned Laser hair  removal.  Does anyone have any Info on it??????
           I know Im a smart, pretty girl but this isuse brings me down all the time......I won't even get intimate w/ a guy cause I feel so embarrased by the scars.   I don't want to waste anymore time feeling like **** about it.  I want to look into Laser hair removal (At this point I can care less about the cost).   Im kind of scared though because the thought of lasers on my breast seems dangerous or cancerous.   Does anyone have info on Laser hair removal?

P.S.  I do feel a little better though now knowing others can relate....... so thanks everyone.

i have exactly the same problem as everyone - yeh good to know its not just me! I was wondering though, is it very bad to just leave the ingrown/to the side growing hairs as they are? I have tried to pluck all of them out up to now but I have a few pretty ingrained ones, quite far below the skin that I hadnt noticed until now. Is there a danger in leaving them or is it just that they look unsightly?
It is so frustrating that plucking causes ingrown hairs as the first time I plucked instead of cut them with scissors it felt so good to not have any stubble and have smooth hairless skin - for a day!
i have the same problem and i try to shave it as much as possible but it leaves little reddish colored bumbs ive had them for about 4 years. its really nice to kno im not the only one.
I would advise not to go for laser treatment because it can be dangerous and leave your skin horrible. Also don't be afraid of getting intimate with a guy - i was because i was so embarassed but then i told him what i was embarassed about and he said i shouldn't worry and that he didnt mind at all. He said he bets most guys wont mind much, especially someone who is with you because of who you are. So don't rush into laser treatment. A lot of us girls have this problem - I read somewhere that about 60% of women have breast hair, so we're actually pretty normal!
hi!
i also experience the same thing with nipple hair, it is easier to pluck after a shower because the follicles and pores in the skin are open. A TIP FOR IN GROWN hairs ANYWHERE ON THE BODY, DIAPER RASH CREAM, TRY UNSCENTED. I put it on at night just a little dab around the areola, i also use it on my armpits and my bikini line, though i don't recommend using it right after you shave,  put it on the night before you plan to shave. it works wonders and stops the hairs from growing inwards.
So glad i'm not the only woman who pays so close attention to her ****, my boyfriend doesn't notice the hairs, but without them i feel sexier. good luck hairy ladies!
yeah i just dug a hair out that had detatched and curled around beneath the skin, and now the pore is all stretched/ripped.  I'm afraid to let it heal because im not sure if there is another hair in there that had started growing after the last one.  If so, i will just have to reopen the wound later, and the swelling will never go down.  UGH  i really really hate ingrown hairs.... someone said it was akin to performing surgery on oneself, and i would really have to agree.  I had to stop because the safety pin was already starting to get lost (1/8 inches in).  I knew that was way too deep.  Maybe I'll just let them grow or cut them close to the skin from now on
Hey! I'm 15 and I have a similar problem too. I learned that nipple hair is usually hereditary in about 30% of women so it's normal. However, I noticed that I had 2 hairs from one pore which scared me because I was afraid of breast cancer. I pluck mine when I get out of the shower and I've never had any scarring or ingrown hair problems but I've never plucked the double ones in fear of causing some kind of harm to my body. I don't know for sure if this is a sign of cancer or not so if any of you know please tell!! And to you who want to try laser, I've heard that doesn't help for some people because 1. it can only be performed on dark hairs and 2. it doesn't usually remove hair permanently. For my lip and eyebrows I get electrolysis done which may be expensive but it really works! It's a bit painful but you can buy cream that numbs your skin and reduces the pain a lot. =) And, in smaller areas such as your breast area, where there is less hair, you don't need as many sessions.

Good luck to everyone who is having similar problems or the same problem as me! Don't be self-conscious!! Everyone is beautiful so don't let one or two flaws make you feel bad about yourselves!

-LW
P.S.

Plucking hair DOES NOT make your hair grow back thicker!! That is a complete myth! The only method that will cause that is shaving because it's cutting the same strand of hair. Plucking is pulling it straight out of the pore which doesn't cause it to regrow thicker.

Oh! And electrolysis is good because it gradually thins out your hair until it's no longer there. A lot better than laser and I totally recommend it.

-LW
From personal experience let me tell you that plucking has DEFINITELY made my hairs grown back thicker/coarser and sometimes double (two hairs, one follicle).  I have some hairs now that are lighter than others but when i pluck them they grow darker and more coarse.