Irregular period

My periods are weird, they typically don't come for months  and when they do I just spot. A few days ago, my menstrual cycle started heavy and it hasn't stopped. It's made really tired to where I can be on my feet for only a few minutes ,then I have to sit or lay down and I fall asleep for hours. Is the being overly tired normal as since I haven't had a real period in awhile I don't know. I'm also more emotional than normal.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Well, it's not normal to not have a period to begin with hon.  That can be due to various causes including a problem with a too slow thyroid (hypothyroidism) or things like being extremely underweight or exercising too much/ being an athlete, or eating disorders.  Then a super heavy period after that just won't stop . . .  

I feel you really need to be seen by a doctor at this point.  Is that possible?