Itch-Scratch-Itch...uncontrollable labia itch

H-E-L-P!!!

I've had this uncontrollable itch on my outer labia's for the past 7 years. Everyday I itch, I feel like a freak because I am always scratching (not in public). My labia gets sore from the scratching and I break skin often from scratching. I have tried everthing, but it doesn't go away. I know it's not an STD because I went to the doctor's and have been tested.  However they haven't helped me none.  The labia skin is thickened from the scratching, is very dry (white-like) and flaky (at times).  So are my inner thighs at the crease yet they do not itch that often. There are no bumps but my skin is raised, and I don't know what it is.  I thought about Lichen, but I do not see my vagina changing in that form, like the pictures that I have researched.  Please Please help me figure out what other problems there might be. I have been in the same relationship all this time.  Also, if you know any remedies for the itching, please send my way. I use All Free & Clear laundry detergent, and wash with warm water as I fell needed throughout the day. I also don't get my period often, I tied my tubes in 2003, so I don't take any BC. I am not on any medication.  Just looking for what else might there be...

Thanks, Itchy_Itchy
Man, I am sorry you are going through this, it must be awful! Have you seen a dermatologist? Maybe it is something fungal? I have been doing some serching around the medical journals and such, but haven't seen anything that resembles your symptoms yet. I will post back if I do.

I know this is a silly and personal question, but are you wearing cotton/breathable undergraments and looser fitting pants? Sometimes that really helps, keeps the air circulating.

Andi
another person question: Do you shave your pubic hair or trim it really really short. I know that when I trim mine really short and the 1-2 times that I have shaved, it got severly itchy until the hair grew back. It was like 2-3 weeks before the itching went away completely.

I know that my legs get really itchy from shaving, so after I shave I put baby oil on them. You might try using baby oil to moisturize the area.
Okay, I just found some information, but I will leave it up to you to read all of the information : )

http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZQX9DQA7C&sub_cat=9

"Problems that affect other parts of the body also may affect the vulva. Psoriasis, for instance, is a skin disease that can appear on the vulva as red, thick, scaly patches that may itch.

Vulvar Dystrophy
A vulvar dystrophy is abnormal skin on the vulva. The skin can be too thin (lichen sclerosus), too thick (hyperplasia), or a mixture of both."

I am obviously not a doctor and am in no way diagnosing any conditions, but maybe you could research these further and seek out a dermatologist or a gynecologist with some experience in this area.

Andi
Thanks for the info...I'll check and then reference back what I find.  I do wear only cotton underwear now since reading around I found out that it'll help. I did notice that tight clothing did irritate after I took the clothing off. I would itch bad. I stopped shaving about 2 years ago, because I did notice that I got irritated by it when the hair would start to grow back.  I din't think that it would be connected to a dermatology problem. I do have sensitive skin, I've never tested for allergens or anything.  Well I'm gonna check what you all found and let you know...please let me know if you find anything else! Thanks!
Psoriasis was what immediately came to mind. My dh has a pretty moderate case on his scalp. He was given a few different topical treatments to help. Maybe they can offer the same for you if this is the case.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Andi
Good luck! Hopefully you will finally be able to find an answer in all of this. I will keep checking back, so if you find out anyhting new, post it here.

Andi
Well I found some really awesome info out there...thanks for the tip.

It looks like it's vulva dystrophy.  It describes my symptoms and said that it can be linked to Thyroid disorders, and I have a thyroid disorder.  WOW!  The only thing is that it is usually fouund in older women, and I'm not old, but is not uncommon to be found in younger women.  Well it looks like a trip to the Dr is in order here.  At least I have something to walk in with somewhere to start...not just wasting money and all...lol...

Well, I'll post what I find out, hopefully this will work!
hey i have the EXACT same problem!!
i am going to see a doctor tomorrow because i thought it was a yeast infection but i have been tested for that before and i didn't have anything. I've have the problem for as long as i can remember..and i did realize that wearing tight clothes makes it worse...but im only 20! all of my clothes are well fitted!..and i realized when i take off the clothes and get into my PJ's the itching is horrible! its always worst in the night...
i don't know what to do!!!
HELP!!!!
I've been suffering from vulva itching almost all my live from time to time. Like you, I've tried to help myself, I've seen doctor's and use the medicines they gave to me and being very careful about my hygiene but it seems it never worked because the relief was always temporarily.
I've read all the books about it and I reached some conclusions which helped me a lot.
I always wash my vulva with cold water(warm water tends do dry the skin)and I use a moisturizer soap (after trying different brands I've found Dove Beauty Bar very good)
I use a vulva moisturizer every day (I use one from a Spanish laboratory because I only came to this country about 3 months ago, but I'm sure there are something identical here).
I avoid sleeping with my panties on and also to wear jeans or very tight trousers.
I also try not to use daily pantiliners or underwear made of synthetic material.
When the skin is inflamed and the itch is impossible to bear I try not to scratch and I use ice involved in a towel to ease and relieve the discomfort.
I hope this will help you too.
Sorry about my English.
I, too, have had the same problem. I found that the only thing that will releive it, is simple Hydrocortison cream. It is available most everywhere. After cleaning the area, apply it, it will releive the itch.
I also have the same problem (since pre-puberty) and have not found anything that works.  My dermo says that it's eczema and I'm currently using a hydrocortisone cream which alleviates the itch temporarily.  I find that it gets worse when I'm stressed and when it's really hot out.  Unfortunately, it's something that's here to stay.  I actually prefer to use a pantyliner everyday as the skin is so sensitive that it either hurts or feels funny rubbing against my panties.  I like the feeling of 'padding' and also, the skin gets raw sometimes and will stick to my panties (sorry for being so graphic!).  It hurts when I take my panties off.  

As the area gets dry & flaky, I'm going to pick up a gentle cleanser that will keep the skin moisturized and will let you know if I find one that helps.  I've tried several before.

Please let us know what your dermo says.  I'd like to see what other options I have as my dermo only recommends the hydrocortisone.
Just in case anyone is reading this.. i had the same thing, was never diagnosed with anything and i used a topical cream aveeno anti itch. I assume mine is ecxsema (spelling) But i also have psoriasis on my scalp. Good luck to all those itching!! haha.. its very uncomfortable.