LEEP Procedure & Heavy menstruation afterward

In late October I had a D&C to remove a fibroid.  They ended up removing a polyp & she could not get the fibroid as it was lodged in the muscle.

In late November I had a LEEP procedure, because my pathology reports had come back bad about two pre-cancerous cells on my cervix.  The doctor said it went well and she got it all.

My menstrual cycle during December was heavier and with worse cramps than normal, but since I'd just had the LEEP a few weeks prior, I didn't think anything of it.

I began my second menstrual cycle since the LEEP this morning.  It is worse than any cycle I have EVER had....... reminds me of the amount of bleeding I did immediately following giving birth.  I will soak a pad in an hour, but the next hour will not be quite as bad so I relax.......... only to repeat that pattern over and over today. The cramping is bad, but the bleeding and passing of many, many clots concerns me more.

Is it normal for  your periods to be wose after the LEEP?  Is this what I have to look forward to from now on????

I go back to my doctor in February for a repeat pap smear, so I'm hoping not to have to see her between, but this is making me nervous (and miserable).  Any wisdom to share with me?

Thanks,
Amy

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.