Lactobacillus acidophilus in the treatment of BV

I just read that Lactobacillus acidophilus can help in the treatment of BV. I read that one can insert yogurt directly into the vagina or insert tablets and it will help get rid of BV. Is this true? Sticking yogurt up there sounds kind of dangerous, is it safe? And if I were to try one of these methods, would it get rid of the BV or just the symptoms (if anything)?
It is an old wives tale that eating yogurt or inserting it will get rid of yeast or BV.  BV needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.  You should not wait around, while BV is not an STD if left untreated it can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to infertility.  I have heard about people trying acidophilus and swearing that it works but from what I've heard from several doctors is that it helps keep a natural balance in the colon but not in the vagina.  Also with lactobacillus present in yeast can not live in the vagina but will help the colon.
Probiotics (beneficial bacteria) are good to take after you take a round of antibiotics.  Antibiotics deplete your system of ALL bacteria, good and bad.  Many women get a yeast infection after taking an anti, because there isn't a good balance of bacteria in the digestive system or vagina.  Check with your doctor to see what is going on first, but taking a probiotic supplement orally is not going to hurt you.
No, do not put yogurt in your vagina.  That will not help whatsoever.  Go to the doctor and get your prescription.  There are no home remedies for BV.
Acidophilous has been known to help yeast infections but will not help BV.

What worries me more is that you are too afraid to go to the doctor and therefore will google until you find something that fits your symptoms, self-treat, then possibly put your sexual health and potential for having children at great risk. Incorrectly treating your symptoms could result in FAR worse symptoms - making the present infection worse and possibly creating a new one.

It is, in all likelihood, BV. Easy to fix. Please get diagnosed and get the proper medication you need.
Taking antibiotics for BV only helps temporarily. It kills all bacteria-good and bad. So when the infection comes back, it comes back worse because there is no good bacteria to help fight the infection. If you do get an antibiotic, I still recommend the lactobacillus acidophilus inserts.
You are all wrong I have suffered from bv for alomost three years Noe and antibiotics did not help at all only temporarily. I bought and online book called "3 days to permanent bacterial vaginosis relief" it gives you three steps in treating the bv . The first step is to make a homemade douch out of peroxide and filtered clean water after douching twice insert an acidphilus vaginal insert an to take 1600mg of folic acid do this once a day for three days and you will get rid of your bv forever! Mrs Canada bv is not easy to fix it's something you live with for ever once you get it unless you treat it naturally and antibiotics don't do the permanent trick only cures it temptarily and you eventually become immune to the pills after having bv come back atleast 10 times in the same year. It's a known fact and the only reason your doctor keeps prescribing you medicine is so they get paid by your insurance company or you. They know it won't work they will even say "there is a possibility it may come back" and do you know how bad antibiotics are for your body they eat away at your stomach and put stress on your body. I've taken flagyl a millions times for bv an got sick everytime from how harsh it was on my stomach.  
I have been struggling with BV for over two years. Doctors give the anitbiotic flagyl which DOES NOT completley cure BV. symptoms would return in weeks. I have been using a hydrogen peroxide douche and taking acidophilus pills orally and vaginally and it has been getting rid of my symptoms quicker than any of the 10 times ive used doctor prescribed antibiotics. saying there is no home remedy for BV is not true and I highly recomend people trying this method before calling it a wives tale. It has truely worked wonders, and im so happy! healthy va jay jay!
Never give up hope.    THERE IS ALWAYS NATURAL REMEDIES FOR EVERYTHING YOU JUST NEED TO LOOK.

What doctors WON'T tell you is what they won't tell you because they WANT you to pay them big money and pay them big money AGAIN to come back to them.

And while it's true you should see a doctor to rule out any other causes of the infection most natural remedies can and do work.  But most doctor  won't tell you that.  They're in it for the money and want you to come back and even get paid extra for writing out prescriptions.

important things are LOTS of research and using common sense and listening to your body.

Remember what works for one may NOT work for another.  

And let me tell you something.   People who say," there's NO home remedy cure for something" THEY have been completely BRAINWASHED by the medical community.

There is ALWAYS other options out there you just need to look just AND please throw caution to the wind and use common sense.  

If you see someone telling you to drink a gallon of paint to clear a sinus infection LOL and NO OTHER RESEARCH shows you that it's true.....common sense will tell you you probably shouldn't do that.  And I personally wouldn't recommend that anyway LOL  

But if you see 10 or so pages of research pointing to taking a certain product to cure or treat something then you'd probably benefit from taking that product.

Remember a doctor WILL NEVER tell you about natural remedies because they LOVE THE MONEY THEY GET WHEN THEY GIVE YOU MEDS TO MAKE YOU WORSE..

Natural remedies are always best as your system is inclined to not reject them. I followed the common advice I saw on 10 different forums on this of hydrogen peroxide application and acidophilus (found in probiotic yogurts or pills). This is day 2 and am amazed the smell is totally gone. Still a bit of discharge but I read that's normal and will go away.

Recipe to fight and possibly terminate BV:

-Eat 2 capsules of acidophilus (make sure it has alot of strains and Esp. "L.  Casei"
- take about 1/3 cup of boiled water and cool it off (just put it in fridge for 15 mins) and add 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide. Now what I did because I didn't have an applicator was I soaked a tampon in the solution and inserted that in my vagina. What this will dooms create an acidic environment for the good bacteria (the ones in your probiotic capsules meaning the acidophilus ) to grow the bad bacteria which is causing the smells don't survive in acidic environment they need alkaline environments.
- I also took one of the acidophilus capsules and opened it and after removing the tampon inserted the capsule just a little and contorted my body so the powder would go into my vaginal cavity. This will cause good bacteria growth in there. Remember these capsules have live bacteria so they multiply and don't be scared those bacteria already exist in you even in your digestive tract but it's just a matter if having enough of them. Some people just put plain yogurt up there but make sure it's probiotic yogurt. Not all yogurt has live cultures. But I think it's enough to eat the capsules and to apply a bit of the powder slight in the vaginal cavity

So I have only did all the above once and noticed a significant difference. I don't know how I got BV. I'm not sexually active and extremely clean. I even wash with water after I go to the washroom. Im very particular about smells and never had any smells down there so I instantly noticed the change and started researching. Ladies the above remedy worked for me and a lot of women so try it before harsh pharmaceuticals. BV is not very risky and can really happen to anyone do don't worry you are not alone.
wow I really am going to try this I suffer horribly from BV and bad yeast infections for years and I'm only 21 never had a child or nothing this kills my sex life ! thank you for the advice.
There are actually many home remedies for BV, if you look online. However, some may work and some won't. It all depends on your body. All in all, go to the doctors. I had BV for almost 2 years and the best thing you can do is get the prescription. Once your prescription is gone, then take acidophilus pills. The reason for that is because the prescription they are giving you is killing all bacteria in your vagina. Good and bad. But when you take acidophilus pills its giving you good bacteria. If you start right after your antibiotics are gone, there won't be a chance for you bad bacteria to override.