Large painful lump under arm

I am 34 and have an extremely painful large protruding lump under my armpit. I have never had anything like this every before. It is growing rapidly and now changing to a pinkish tone. I went to a doctor and he said it is an infected gland and put me on some antibiotics.  He said it should work.  It isn't.  I work at a job where I am irritating it constanly. It seems to grow more then.  Should I get it drained or wait for it to burst on its own? I am worried about the pain of the draining. I just don't know how much more pain I can take.  Help me please.  Any useful information would be very appreaciated.
      Thanks,
         April
Its interesting to see I'm not alone. It started last month.  First, I discovered a lump in my right under arm. Then another lump started beneath my underarm. Because of the pain, I couldn't use my right arm for a good week. My doctor put me on Amoxicillin(sp?) and the underarm lump decreased in size. The lump beneath the arm eventually burst and I treated it with peroxide and neosporin.

Although the undarm lump isn't totally gone, it's very small and painless. But the problem is all these other small, uncomfortable bumps that have popped up since. What has kept them at bay is a treatment of mixed Lotrimin and Neosporin. Once in a while I'll clean the area with peroxide.
well my mother in law has one and she barely notice it ..she scare to go to the hospital cuz shes scare that might be cancer dude to her age..i told her i would find information for her bt i have no luck and of course i dont want to ask a doctor cuz im scare to tell her what it could be..shes scare to find out that it could harmful and knowing that she might leave her daughter (8months) alone.we told her to got to the hosp but she dnt want to ..does anyone what it really is so i can tell her...need help :O plz
So I have also been dealing with this issue for almost three years. In the past year alone I have had to have my arms lanced 6 times. I even now get these abcesses in other places. It forms in areas that can build bacteria at a fast rate. Hell when I go to the doctors I tell them what to do! lol. but I most recently have been getting them under my left arm. I just got it lanced last week, but I have a permant lump that will not go away. i also under my right arm, no abcesses recently but i have five small holes in a area that when squeezed on hard pus comes out of them along with a lot of hair build up that cant push its way through. I am 21 weeks pregnant at the moment but I just heard of hope of pretty much reconstructive surgery to wipe out all out my sweat glands and get EVERYTHING under there scraped out completely. all of you who says your scared dont be. you could have worse things. believe me I have been dealing with this for so long its almost a monthly ritual to visit the e.rs and get them lanced. but after pregnancy i will seriously be looking into the surgery. i lost my job from having to call out so much because of this problem. it is very embarassing. i hope i dont contract any of this to my boyfriend. i had to inform ex room mates to not even tempt to use my razor because of this problem ( i had ideas she was, i know gross) i now even have a small black hole under the arm i just had lanced last week. it is a very miserable problem that so many of us have, i wish i knew why. and yeah antibotics dont work once they hit the stage of being lanced. hell im on them right now, and it didnt stop a abcess right below my butt to form and drain on its own in the past few days... i have had a total of three in three different locations in the past week. i just dont know what to do anymore.....
about a year ago I noticed this painful lump under my armpits. it eventually grew to several smaller lumps surrounding one large oblong lump which was pinkish, feverish and very painful. i went to a surgeon and he suggested that it be gashed at once. they gashed the lumps while i was awake but it wasnt painful because of the anasthetics. however about one week after the lumps had completely healed it recurred. i stopped using deoderant and used amen's medicated powder instead. it soothed the pain somewhat but the lumps kept on growing but never ripened so that it could not drain. eventually it began to get smaller and then disappered completely. i still discontinued use of deoderantabout two weeks later several lumps came back again even on the same spot where i did the surgery. the lumps keep recurring. i have now learnt to live with it and just wait on GOD for total deliverance from this nuisance.  
I'm assuming this is some type of staph infection. I now have a bump under my right armpit.. two months ago I had an abcess  under my left butt cheek which took a long time to heal.  I use a home remedey of salt pork or fatback meat, yes I know it's gross, but I applied it directly to the bump and it burst overnight.. This is an old southern home remedy and the salt from the meat draws out the pus.  I also applied gel garlic capsules.  I squeeze the oil from capsules then apply diretly to the bump, cover with a bandage and wait.  You will be surprised at the drainage.  It drained for several days and I reapplied bandages every day. It has now scabbed over and healed.  My body does not do well with antibiotics, so I take collodial silver which is a basically a natural anitbiotic. Be sure to take acidopholis pills or eat yogurt while taking silver.  As far as my armpit, I am going to try the same regiment.  I am starting a detox because this is getting ridiculous!
I have had cysts under both arms, altlhough not at the same time.  They started under my right arm, and I've had 4 of them lanced and drained but they have not been the exact same spot. They have moved to under the left arm (ok, probably not "moved".lol).  I've been on antibiotics for 6 months now, the advice of a plastic surgeon my surgeon spoke with (he was going to have the plastic surgeon go in and remove all the "ucky" tissue.....sounded like it would be a nasty surgery, but best chance to be rid of them once and for all.) I've had these for years. I'm about to stop the antibiotics, because if I miss a dose, I can count on having another one pop up in a few days.  Not good to be on them much longer, I wouldn't think.  And what good is it doing??  When I get one coming up, I want to do nothing but sleep.  Can't help but wonder, do I have an infection in my body that just isn't going away, and it tends to go to my armpit?  Dr. told me that they don't know what causes them, and that the armpit is one of those places where it's easy for bacteria to gather and "hide".  He has also assured me that hygiene has nothing to do with them. Sometimes when these come up, they will open and drain on their own, but the pain until this happens is horrible.  The gunk has been tested, and there is no cancer/MRSA, etc there.  If ANYone has had these and had the area "cleaned out" (from what I understand, this would actually be opening up the area and a little beyond to clean it out good.....and OOHHHHH that sounds like it would be SOOOOOOOO painful until it heals....)  is it worth it?  Has anyone tried any holistic treatment that worked?  Diet?  I just am at a loss....and who can afford to jump from one doctor to another to figure out what is going on, even with insurance?
Hi, i m 23 years old. I did have this lump growing up in under arms.

Understood these are becoz of the sweat glands and which eventually create a puss formation around the nerves which gives us more pain

I was very much worried as these were occurring often, one lump after the other.

then took a few steps which helped me great

when U notice a lump in ur under arms immediately please follow the steps below which would give U a least cure

1. when U see a small lump growing try to shave the arm pit surrounding carefully without hurting the lump, use hot water

2. Never reuse the razor

3. wash the lump with liquid soap, something like body wash

4. Use a lot of water to ensure that the no residue of soap is there

5. after bath clean the area with soft tissues, make sure if U use cotton towel dont reuse until u wash the towel with hot water

6. apply antiseptic power

7. doing this continuous will reduce the lump

if the lump is grown but not to the stage of bursting out consult a doctor and try MUCIPROCIN OINMENT

and if it too large better get the lump drained and apply MUCIPROCIN OINMENT

8. do not directly use deos or any of such kind, have a soft 1 ply or 2 ply tissue over the under arm and spray, that will help to get of the sweat smell

9. If nothing helps out, consult ur doctor, take 3 doses of penicillin, make sure to take a test before u go for it

this is one of the best cure for bacterial infection permanently

pl continue doing steps 1 - 6 which will help U from any bacterial infection, and once cured people can opt for hot waxing, which will keep these problem away.

also when at home opt for sleeveless and take bath 5 times atleast in case of excessive sweat.

Hope these points which helped me a lot will help U all too.

I'm 19, and i have had small lumps for some time, for about three years. This one is the worst, and I swear when i go to emergency tomorrow if they give me some line about not lancing this dang thing, im gonna sue. This is painful- also, I am an asthmatic, and any pressure make my chest feel fluttery... and when you go through half your life trying to breathe better that is rather frightening. I did have some thoughts it might be cancer,r because it runs in my family, but thanks to thees posts I do believe it is probably a staff infection of a sweat gland... thank goodness. I want this thing gone.
i'm 14 and i woke up one morning and there was a lump under my left armpit ! . . it hurt a little but not anything too major.  i had one of these before but it didn't really hurt and it went away in like 2 days.  but the one that i have now has been here for like a week now. i looked up what it could be and some said things like infected sweat gland, swollen hair follicle, and something that comes because of deoderant and stuff, but my lump looked nothing like the pictures they showed.  i kept looking and read that it was a symptom of lymphoma, a type of cancer. so i imidiately called my mom and told her and she said that it might just be a swollen hair follicle too but when she got home and saw it she realized that  it wasn't and said that we would go  to the doctor in the morning. i went to my grandmas house for a birthday party and the lump was starting to hurt A LOT ! . . i couldn't even left my arm or put any pressure on it ! . . when i got home i looked in the mirror and  THE LUMP GOT BIGGER ! ! ! ! i went to my room and cryed because i hoped that it wasn't cancer ! ! ! :( ..now i'm on here to get answers ! .. i'm going to the doctor in the morning .  last time i went to the ER was when i found out i had MRSA ! . . and they drained my absast ! . . i think they might do the same with this but the lump is harder and different from the MRSA ! HELP !  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
i had lump under my right arm pit for about 2 month and kept putting it off going to the doctor but then decided to go because it started hurting they sent me on to the hospital to see a consulant and he booked me in to get it removed they said it was a syst but now 6 weeks on its come back is that normal.
hi iam 49 yrs old and i find to lumps under my arms and they hurt me very much i have to take care of my hancappled son and have to use my arms a lot i dont have the money or insureince what can i do
I hope you went to the doctor and it is nothing serious.  I noticed a little pea size lump under my left armpit. I had shoulder/bicep,labrum surgery on Feb. 1,2010 and I noticed it a few days later.  I am scared too.  I am going to call my dermatologist or primary doctor tomorrow.  There is no history of breast cancer in my family.  I do not feel the lump has grown and it is not painful to lift my arm.  I will keep you all posted.  
My God.  I got half way through these comments and then some more recent and I am shocked at some of the women on here.  My anger comes from two things.  1. My mother DID go to doctors - for 6-7 years, and begging them to take her seriously - then my Dad changed Health Insurance at work.  The very first doctor she saw - after collapsing in a store parking lot - sent her to hospital specialists immediately.  My mom was then told SHE WAS GOING TO DIE, they gave her 5 months at most. THE TYPE OF CANCER SHE WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED WITH WAS VERY SLOW GROWING, about 6 years, the doctors told us.  Had the doctors listened to her in the beginning, her survival rate would have been 100%!!  She died in March of 2000.  I have gone to the doctors and am going through the same thing as her ! (I am disabled, welcome to government healthcare ppl),  I have lost nearly 20 lbs in just a couple of months,  my hair has been falling out for months to the point of wearing wigs & I have one of those lumps under my arm where a so called benign one was removed about 3 years ago.  My right breast has a hole inside as if someone dug tissue out of it,  same side the lump is on.  I FOUND IN MY FORMER FAMILY DOCS NOTES, he never told me, that he believed after a CT scan was done - that I have CANCER.  That was over a year ago.  Right after that he simply, after nearly ten years, dropped me as his patient.  Now, NOTHING is being done to help me.  Literally.  I'm in pain, I'm scared as hell and I was told this was because I am in a different category of the new categories of medicaid. "Non-Productive Citizen" because I am other wise physically disabled.  Again, welcome to Government Health Care via Obama administration. (yes, I did not want that other idiot to win the presidency, ironic huh?).  It was not like this before.  
WHAT I AM SAYING IS THIS.
1. If you have a doctor : GO SEE HIM/HER ASAP.
2. Don't get on the internet and try to diagnose yourself through forums
    and websites!!!  NO ONE on here can tell you what it is exactly.  
    ONLY Doctors, Hospitals and Lab Work can tell you that.
3 through a billion: GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.  NOW.  This is NO
   JOKE and DO NOT try to "fluff" it off because you are scared of
   what it might be.  

If you are lucky enough to have a doctor who will actually listen to you, DO NOT WAIT. GO.
If your Doctor is not taking things seriously, first tell them you want them to in no uncertain terms and if they are still "Deaf", see a different doctor.  Think of your loved ones and your friends who will have to watch you die, or even take care of you while it happens.  Believe me I know.  My dad and me took care of my mom at home.  

My God, especially if you have children.......I repeat......look in their faces and fight for them to have their mom if you won't see your doctor for yourself.

Think of all the people without any insurance, think of people who the doctors are not listening to.  Like my Mom.  The doctors she saw and begged before the one who diagnosed her, as far as I'm concerned, killed my mother - not the cancer.  Missing her at Christmas Time is the worst.

( to think I found this, searching for something else cuz I can't sleep, maybe it was supposed to happen that way).

Please ladies I am BEGGING you, the only way to stop the fear that not knowing causes is to KNOW.  
That knowledge can SAVE YOUR LIFE.  

God Bless and I pray that all of you will be OK.
Dianne and EVERYONE- Sorry you're going through this.  And Dianne, your mom's case is a very "worst case" scenario.  Most people on this forum are having an infection of the sweat glands, which is, or has led to Hidradenitis Superativa (HS). HS can be an ongoing, painful problem, but almost never leads to cancer.  In Dianne's case, unfortunately her mom's situation did indeed lead to cancer, or was cancer from the very start and she may have never had HS - but cancer is the exception, not the rule.

MOST doctors are not yet fully aware of this condition (HS) - including Dermatologists.  So when you do go to the Doc, you need to bring up HS. You need to speak-up to the Doc.  Don't be a pushover, and if the Doc isn't giving you the answers you need, see another Doc.

In almost every case you will need antibiotics.  In MY situation this problem presented as three to four large nodules under the skin of both armpits.  They were painful.  They did not come to a head.  They were NOT whiteheads.  They were definitely far under the skin and I could tell they weren't like a standard pimple or ingrown hair (or they might have started off as an ingrown hair, but had gotten to the point of being  far worse and far deeper under the dermis).  I've had this problem twice in my life, under both arms at the same time.  I tried squeezing the very hard nodules, but they would not pop.  They did not have heads, or whiteheads.  They were a bit bigger than grapes, and I had about three or four in each armpit. They were painful, due to the pressure and the swelling. I just HAD to get them to drain... I HAD to get them out!  After being put on antibiotics for an entirely different reason (strep throat), I found the antibiotics for the strep throat were starting to work on the nodules!  The antibiotic was Zithromax. Once I noticed the Zithromax working, I applied hot compresses (and I mean HOT) to both armpits for about three days.  Finally, after three days of hot compresses and about 5 days of Zithromax (Zithromax is only used for three to five days compared to most antibiotics which are 7-14 days), I decided I was going to try to get the nodules to drain.  

I'm a male, so I have armpit hair... and I grabbed a handful of armpit hair very tightly, and I yanked as hard and as fast as I possibly could.  Out came some hair, and a ton of dark purple, liquidy pus which drained all down the side of my body.  More pus than I had ever seen, and a purple color that I had never seen. I immediately had huge relief from the pain and pressure.  Sure, yanking out the hair was a little painful, but getting rid of the nodules was well worth it.  I was also not too worried about infection because of the Zithromax I was already on.  However to be safe, I also used Hydrogen Peroxide topically on the skin after I was done squeezing all the pus out. After making sure I got as much pus out as possible, that's when I liberally applied the hydrogen peroxide.  So, I FINALLY figured out how my nodules started:  I was not drying my armpits as thoroughly as I should have been after getting out of the shower, AND I was then applying anti-persperant over damp armpits, effectively sealing-in the wetness against my skin. This was creating a perfect enviornment for the production of bacteria.  Once I figured out the problem, and once I drained the nodules (along with the help of the Zithromax), I never had the nodules again - and it's been over 17 years!  

But let's remember a couple things: 1. There are many things that can cause the armpit problems.  2. It can be anything from irritated/infected sweat glands (which is most often the case), to cancer (which is least often the case).  It can be like something I unknowningly did (applying deoderant over damp armpits), or it could be a dozen other things... but all those things typically will lead to infected sweat glands or infected hair folicules.  I was lucky that I stumbled onto the cause and the cure, and I was lucky I was put on Zithromax during the armpit problem. 3. Unlike Dianne said, the medical/insurance side of all of this has nothing to do with the Obama health care plan, as it hasn't even started yet (as of December 31, 2011!!!  I cured the problem myself, but regardless of the health care system, I would have gotten this cleared up one way or another, immediately... even if I had to beg for money from friends or family. I mean, I never went to the doctor for this issue and I managed to clear it up myself - and my lumps/nodules were pretty bad!

My advice:  Go to a good Dermatologist (and NOT to any other type of Doc). Get referals from friends and/or relatives for a good Dermatologist.  Finding the right Doc makes all the difference... you must find someone that is good, and that is familier with this problem! Make sure s/he is aware of HS, make sure you get put on the proper antibiotic, keep your armpits dry and don't use deoderant during the problem period.  Don't try to squeeze them as I did... because if it is HS, you may indeed spread the problem to other areas of the body... and that will create another, much bigger problem.  If you don't see some kind of improvement within a week or so, with the proper antibiotics, either go back to the Doc, or find a new one.  Remember, you must be comfortable with the Doc!

To those who don't like antibiotics:  Too bad!  There are times in your life when you will absolutely need antibiotics, and this is one of those times!  Don't allow this to fester.  

Disclaimer:  I am not a health care professional... just a guy who had been through this.  Good luck!
hi, i have a big lump under my armpit, its very painful, i cant go to the dermatologist coz i haven't informed my mom yet. so can you give me a possible treatment to get rid of this lump.. please, i really need it now.
I had some of these about 2 years ago large swollen painful lumbs or knots they thought it was cancer but thank god no. Then now its came back one about 2 weeks back and went 2 er then went away now back again but under my pit and very sore and swollen which all together about 6 knots about the size of a plum to a small grape what should I do know
I found this painfull lump last month, when one of those hudge boil like things appeared under the right arm. Welp this month I found 2 more hudge lumps that hurt like (any bad word) my mom told me to ge see my Dr so I did yestrday (5-4-2011) i have to go see a surgen to have it removed. The good news is no more pain. The bad news is i just had a hysteroctomy 8 months ago not looking forward to more surgey, but im looking forward to no more painfull hudge things under my arm and painfull to.The Dr said i had a bacterial infection. Iam on antibiotics called  
Cephalexin 500 mg. I go tuesday to see a surgern to have them out. PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU HAVE THESE THINGS UNDER YOUR ARM HAVE THEM CHECKED OUT I KNOW YOUR SCARED BUT ITS USUALLY OUT PATIENT GOET IT OUT AND BE DONE WITH IT . SO THERE IS NO MORE PAIN  hope this helped someone :)
I found a lump under my armpit that would increase and decrease in size. I did NOT see any infected hair follies or any redness at that time. After it got bigger and started getting reddened, I went to urgent care and they put me on Bactrim. By the next day, the pain was so intolerable and looked like the lymph nodes were swollen. I went to the ER and they didn't feel it was ready to be drained. I had an ultrasound but they didn't see any fluid. This concerned the doctors. When I got my lab work back, it showed early sepsis and started to get a temp. The first surgeon said there was nothing to drain. My doctor consulted another surgeon who said, I have seem this before, the abscess hides behind the muscle which is why it wasn't seen on ultrasound.  I went for surgery the next day. She got 70cc of pus from the hidden one and another 10cc from the one above. It has been 3 weeks- I am still packing the wound since it needs to heal from inside out. It was positive for MRSA. About a week after surgery, I developed "axillary web syndrome" and can't extend my arm and can barley lift my arm. I am now seeing a specialist physical therapist the does stretching on the soft tissue to help loosen up the lymphatic system. They stated this was not cancer just an abscess that was brewing a awhile. The tape (tried all types an kind) started to tear my skin and form blisters. I haven't been able to work in 3 weeks because I need full range of motion for my job and the place I work (emergency department) I did not want to be there with an open wound. I have found very little info on this type of surgery that not relates to lymph node biopsy. I am so over this and my poor arm has had enough. I am not displaying any signs of lymphedema thank goodness. My advice- NEVRT "pop" an abscess. The risk of it to get more infected or travel deep is not worth it. See your doc.
hi my name is ashley and i am 17 years old i get 3 or 4 big bumps under my arms they keep poping and comeing back the doc does not know what it is any might know let me know i am in pain you can email me at daddysgirl_558***@****
thank you
Each and everyone of you either have a cyst, staff infection or MRSA! They all need to be treated by a high dosed antibiotic. There is a possibilty that it could be cancer but most of you have talked about it being a hard mass right where a sweat glad is so I would have your dr drain the mass, give you some very strong antibiotics and pain pills. Also if the antibiotics he/she gives you states to watch for cediff DO! This is a cause of too much antibiotics and can cause a mucus-ish slimey dihariah to happen and it smells aweful! If this happens after the antibiotics are done go back and get more for this! I know what it sounds like why would ya get put on more antibiotics for something that has happened from them in the 1st place? because these are different and if you dont you will dehydrate yourself to death!  Be careful ladies you need to be focusing on getting to a dr!
Dear Sufferers:

I can really sympathize... After finding a tick on the side of my abdomen, and developing a bulls-eye rash, my physician prescribed a course of  antibiotics, which I completed recently. The rash subsided. Toward the end of the antibiotics, I began developing a lump under my arm... which became itchy, and uncomfortable. It was probably 1/2 " at least in size. I was a bit worried. Didn't know if it was from the tick, the antibiotics, an infection, or if it was completely unrelated.  In my search online, I stumbled on this MedHelp webpage, and thought: This is a much larger problem than I thought!

I decided to try something which my family and I have used several times in the past for infections...with great, consistent success! It is so simple, and free!( The best news. ) The only thing you HAVE to be willing to do, is to use this consistently for AT  LEAST a week, 2-3 X/day minimum, to see if it is working, because it won't cure an infection with just one or two treatments. You MUST make this commitment, and don't stop once it starts to get better. If it is working, you MUST see it through until it is gone, or the infection will return. I used this treatment on my armpit for about a week, the lump shrunk, and disappeared. If you find success with this, remember this for future infections. Use ONLY if your infection is small~ NOT LIFE-THREATENING INFECTIONS OR CANCER! And get right into your doctor if things seem to be getting worse, not better.

Here are instructions for one way to do this treatment. You may also use the microwave to heat towels. For infections on hands/arms or feet/lower legs  you may use bowls/buckets of hot/cold water to completely submerge extremities..(but do NOT use hot and cold for extremities if you are diabetic).

CONTRAST BATHS TREATMENT: (Also called hot and cold treatments.) Since it is a natural remedy, it would not hurt to try it for a few days, to see if it would take care of your problem. (Unless, as mentioned previously, you have an infection that appears to be going systemic/wide spread.)

When you read these instructions, do not be discouraged, for they are not as difficult as they may sound at first glance. Once you go through it, you can leave the supplies out by your sink, to re-use and it is very quick to do it. (Wash the towels every few treatments, unless it is an open wound. Then you should  wash them each time.)

Here is how you go about doing this at your kitchen sink:

SUPPLIES:
1 large bowl~ 2  hand towels folded up into1/2... then thirds.. you can
                       also use wash cloths for this... just fold into fourths to make
                       a square.
                   ~ 1 full ice cube tray placed in bowl
                   ~ fill with the coldest water you can get from your tap
1 large bowl~ 2 hand towels folded as above
                   ~ hottest water from your tap, if it comes out real hot, and
                        keep the hot water going a trickle all during the treatment
                        in order to keep the water hot, OR: put a tea kettle or pot
                        of water on the stove (which is usually close by the sink)
                       and bring to a boil, from which to keep adding hot water.
                       The water in your bowl should  be hot enough to feel very
                        warm, but not so hot as to burn your skin... be careful, and
                       adjust as needed... you can wave the hand towel around to
                       cool it slightly if it feels too hot, then re-apply it to your skin
1 timer~ (stove timer works great for this) to  set for 15 or 20 minutes
                (which will be the length of each treatment)
1 timer~ to set for the individual times for the hot, and then the cold.

A couple of hand towels, or kitchen towels, or a bath towel, to keep you dry, if possible ( I tucked one into my jeans on the side of my under-arm lump to catch the drips, and one over the side of the sink.. for the same reason.. this really helps)

PROCEDURE:
1)  Prepare the two bowls with the hot, cold, hand towels, etc.

2) Set first timer to 15 or 20 minutes (depending on how much time you can devote to this.

3) Set second timer to 2:30 minutes if using a digital timer (2 and 1/2 minutes on a kitchen timer)

4) Beginning with HOT water, slightly wring out one of the hot hand towels and apply the hand towel under arm and gently press to hot wet cloth against skin. When the first towel begins losing it's heat, wring out the second hand towel, and apply it.. Usually for me, one towel will last about half the time (1 1/4 minute)...this is not technical.. the main thing is that you keep the warmth there for approx. 2 1/2 minutes.

5) When the timer goes off, quickly put the hot towel back into the hot water bowl, and grab an ice cold cloth, gently wring, and place in armpit. then set the timer for about 25-30 seconds. You may want to switch the cloth for cold once as well, since the cold doesn't seem to stay cold as well. The first time you do the cold... it will be BRACING! Prepare yourself! But it gets better after that! :)

6) When the timer goes off, switch to the hot again, and set the timer for 2 1/2 minutes again...continue the process until the 15/20 min. timer goes off, then continue with wherever you are in the process, until you can complete the whole process with a 30 sec. cold. That is the END! Always start with HOT, and end with COLD...  :D

7) of course, dry off...and you are done!

Keep your body warm.. esp. if it is cold outside.

If you use this where you KNOW it is an infected cut, etc.. and it is in a place where you can do this, you can add another treatment which can add to the hot/cold effectiveness:

It is called a CHARCOAL COMPRESS:
Mix Activated Charcoal (available at most natural food stores or online) with a little water.. you can add some flax seed to help it gel together, but just the charcoal and water is all that is necessary. Make a wet paste. Tear off a piece of paper towel. Place the charcoal thinly on the paper towel in the shape/size of the infected area. Then fold the rest of the paper towel  over it so that the folded parts are all on the back, and the charcoal has only one layer of paper towel next to it, on the front. Charcoal is a great ADsorber, and will pull infections out of your skin. I know it sounds wierd.. but it really works!

I have then applied this to my skin with the one layer of paper towel face down against my skin, then taped it with paper tape stretched over it or on two sides, or all four sides,whatever seems necessary depending on where it is on my body... ...wrapped it in regular old plastic wrap.. not too tight, but snug enough to keep it in place... then place a knee-high sock over your hand/ arm, or foot/lower leg... leave this on over night, every night along with doing the hot and cold treatments. You can also do this during the day, when you don't have to be somewhere... ;-)

I have used this for my dad who had developed a pressure sore which wouldn't heal and continued to grow larger, no matter what home health tried. Most recently, I used this on a nasty shin scrape I got in the garden, on a wooden stake at the end of a row, which I didn't notice... a few days after the scrape, it started getting swollen and hot to the touch, painful. This combo cured it! :)

Guess that's about it... Drink LOTS of water...expose area to sunshine.. get out and exercise.. walking is fabulous, swing your arms...etc... eat lots of fresh fruit/veges/grains/legumes/nuts. All of this boosts your immune system!

Blessings to you all, hope this is a help to some of you.  Cari
Hey I know its been awhile but I jus got one drained was not given meds at all but question  I have is which deodorant is safe to use n can I still try to shave I'm in a lot of pain
Vitamin E really does help these things. I get them quite frequently. Vitamin E helps to keep them small and painless. I did recently have a small one burst, but at least its not a huge hole that ended looking like a spider bite. I'm starting to believe this is a form of acne under the skin. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and I'm wondering does these things have a connection? My doctor has given me antibiotic in the past, but it makes them swell, grow, hurt and stink.  Vitamin E every morning is not a cure, but the closest thing to one.
Several months ago i had a few of these lumps only under my right armpit, i'm 23, they start out as small pimples with the white head in it, then it gets bigger as the day goes on, I finally had enough and went to the hospital, he drained it and put me on anti biotics, it didn't work..The next few weeks i got another one but was much more painful then the last so i then went back to my GP and he put me on another type of anti biotic and suggested a nasal spray that i had to use several times a day for the rest of my life.. I didn't get the nasal spray and got a 2nd opinion they suggested a body soap that would kill the bugs/reduce the infection in the hair follical.. A few days later i got another 2 at the same time, i was admitted into hospital and had it drained, it worked for about a month.. Now i'm sitting here again with another one under my armpit, it's driving me crazy!!  they are the most painful things ever and it's definantley frustrating..
This sounds like Staph to me. My family (there are 6 of us) have battled staph on and off (it's really hard to get rid of) for a good long while now. It is not wise to squeeze on these types of growths or infections. Because you don't know where else you might be causing this "explosion under the skin"..and if this puss and nasty gets out of your growth and into other tissues of the arm, this highly contagious staph infection will return and will spread. We have been instructed to wipe down every (commonly touched, non-porous) surface in our home with a water/bleach solution and to even wash ourselves down with diluted bleach/water and to apply hot compresses to the sores and then apply Mupirocin ointment to the area after it is open. NEVER squeeze...NEVER puncture...NEVER try to lance these by yourself. For those of you that have and have not had serious complications, consider yourself lucky. It's risky business. My husband and I both have the under the arm lump now...same arm, same place (strange, huh?) and I am thinking I will start some warm compresses today, now...maybe even a salt water soak. Good luck to everyone dealing with this!
This sounds like Staph to me. My family (there are 6 of us) has battled staph on and off (it's really hard to get rid of) for a good long while now. It is not wise to squeeze on these types of growths or infections. Because you don't know where else you might be causing this "explosion under the skin"..and if this puss and nasty gets out of your growth and into other tissues of the arm, this highly contagious staph infection will return and will spread. We have been instructed to wipe down every (commonly touched, non-porous) surface in our home with a water/bleach solution and to even wash ourselves down with diluted bleach/water and to apply hot compresses to the sores and then apply Mupirocin ointment to the area after it is open. NEVER squeeze...NEVER puncture...NEVER try to lance these by yourself. For those of you that have and have not had serious complications, consider yourself lucky. It's risky business. My husband and I both have the under the arm lump now...same arm, same place (strange, huh?) and I am thinking I will start some warm compresses today, now...maybe even a salt water soak. Good luck to everyone dealing with this!
i have had the same thing except i get minds on the vagina to the one on my vagina i can pop i never tried popping the one under my arm they are reoccurring could this be from shaving because i shave both areas the bumps are painful on a scale 1-10 its probably a 8. Can someone please help could it be a std?
i have a small bump under my arm and it hurts but i think it will become bigger. if i go to the doctor can they stop it before it gets worse?
i had the same prob, no insurance or money and really cant take of of work. so i tryied popin them on my own and it spread. finally i tried hydrocrotozone cream and for some reason it worked dnt no y but they dissapeared crazy but true mabey this will help u. my lumps were the size of peas to nickle size and they hurt!!
Several months ago I developed a hard, swollen bump under my left armpit.  It even sorta ached as it was coming on, which is what made me notice it first.  Then I immediately got one on my bikini line, which was about the size of a marble.  I only squeezed it a little (it felt so deep), but by the next morning it was draining.  Took a little while for it to go away, but it did.  Went to the Dr., and he put me on anti-biotics, which seemed to help. He thought there was a possibility they were swollen lymph nodes.  I was also very sick at the time.  The one under my arm never released, tho.  Recently I got another few spots under my left arm again.  Dr. suggested using a deodorant only and not a deodorant / antipersperant, since the antipersperant can clog the sweat glands.  Two months later, I have been lucky and haven't had any more lumps.  I'm crossing my fingers this will do the trick.  
U just have a ubnormal sweat glance i have the same thing .

I had to get surgery,stitches, and packing

Mine still come back but u may need to get ur sweat glance out just tell ur doc and he/she should transfer u to a surgeian like he did me
You will be k i had 4 surgery under both of my arm like i said it will be k
:)
My aunt went through the same thing. Turned out it was actually a cyst. They can get pretty large too and they just randomly pop up. Doctors usually have to lance it open and cut out the cyst otherwise it wont go away. Antibiotics probably didn't work in some of your cases because it wasn't an infected sweat gland it was a cyst. Cysts don't go away with antibiotics. Infected sweat gland would because its made up of bacteria. Get a good dermatologist and they can sort you out. Good luck!
I use to get nasty lumps under my armpit and on my vagina, to the point where they would get really big, painful, and pop with blood and puss coming out. Then build back up again. All it is is toxins in the body that are trying to release and wherever there is hair, that's where they come out at. Personally I found that if I eat allot of meat, grease (especially), or my diet is unbalance, I get these lumps. So eating healthier helps but most importantly SWEATING! You have to get out and sweat. I haven't had lumps for 2 months now. I'm so glad I found a solution, instead of going to the doctor to have it drain. Because even so, they still come back. You have to excessively sweat your toxins out and eat healthy. Try it! I know everyone is different but I guarantee not sweating enough is the issue of this. After all, it is issues in the SWEAT glands. 
i've been experiencing the same problem2...2 yrs back,i noticed i had a small pimple with ingrown hair under my left armpit..it was extremely painful and few days later, it grew bigger and bigger,the size was just like a ping pong ball..i went to doctor and immediately the doctor cut it off for me...green and yellow puss came out and flood the whole piece of tissue..yeeee....and few mths back, when recovered, i noticed there is a hard small lump at the same position again...and now is alr 2 yrs, i still haven't seek doctor's advice whether to cut it off again or how...just hope i can avoid fr taking antibiotics and med...
Wow. This must be a common condition. I found a lump under my right arm.  It is very painful. It looks swollen and red. I guess i'll just wait till it gets so bad I have to go to the doctor.  Who knows,  maybe it'll go away on its own. Everyones advice and personal experiences have been very helpful.  Thanks so much.
I dont know what to do now ,,,,i experienced once in my right armpit but it go away after 3 days but now its 1 week lump under my left armpit at first it hurts soo bad but after 5 days it doesnt hurt much however i can still feel a hard thin under it what could be it? I really dont wanna go to doctor if i can do anything by myself ....is it worse? im not sqeezing it or anythin just keeping myself clean and eating lot of fruits...
hi i am kristan i am 19 i have had this problem since middle school now this morning one of them broke open and left a smallish hole i will go to the doctor but im so scared :/
I am 35 years old and have also had these infected sweat gland sores for the past 16 years! They are absolutely soooo painful... Mine occur most commonly in the groin area on both sides just where the underwear sits to make it even more painful as it rubs against the sores. I have had them under my arms and a couple under my breast but not as severe as the groin area. I saw a dermatologist 7 years ago as doctors had no idea! It took me 8 years to finally get some answers but unfortunately there is no cure it is a hormonal imbalance and all we can do is bathe regularly using an anti bacterial soap and wear loose cool clothing. Mine do get quite big but they tend to burst on there own now a days after a few painful days that is. I can tell you now I've totally had it with the problem and hope something is found to help soon!!!!
I have the samething im freaking out a little because of all the research ive done. Ive had them before but they would go away really quick. Idk why this one is freaking me out. Its pretty big bigger than a quarter. Im going to wait a week and see if it goes away. It hurts but not enough to keep me from doing anything and when i squeeze it it feels like air. My sister had one but it was way worse than mine and bothered her alot. She went to go get it checked and they said happend because of shaving. They told her to keep an eye on it then it popped on its own. So im using that as a way to keep me calm. But mine shows no signs of going away it dosent even have a head.
Hi my name is Hannah I am 13 and also have the same problem. i excessively sweat under my arms and it is very embarrassing when my friends point it out to me.  I WANT IT TO BE REMOVED!!!  Please help me I really don't want a scar... Can the doc burn or freeze it off???  It is a pinkish red color and I already picked at it:( I have had it for about a year and it just keeps getting bogger... IF A DOCTOR Or SOMEONE ELSE Who RE ALLY Knows what to do is reading this please comment!!!  this is disgusting!!!
Hannah
Im wondering if these are sebaceous cysts...basically infected hair follicles. Theyre prob not related to lymph nodes. I had one that was painful, pink on the skin, & visible just by looking at it. My doc said its not a lymph node. I get them occassionally (since jr high and im now 32) and they hurt like hell!!!! My doc said they were sebacious cysts which are basically pimples deep deep in the skin. They start in the hair follicle. They are caused from shaving, bacteria and hormones may play a role as well, as with acne. Mine do seem to show up about 10 days before my period. If this is what they are, there is really no way to prevent them, other than to stop wearing deoderant & shaving (gross). I guess the best things to do is to excercise regularly & eat well to keep your hormones balanced as much as possible. This would only minimize the hormonal role, but as long as we shave & wear anti-persperants, we will prob suffer with these.
im a constant sufferer of cysts in my armpit, im on my third bad one now in as many years, im on antibiotics, they have never worked in the past, the first one i was admitted into hospital and had the surgery under general anesthetic, woke up with a gaping hole in my armpit, they had put some mercury strip into the hole to draw out the infection, patched me up and let me go 2 days later, the second was of the same degree of the first, i went to the doc, antibiotics, sent me into hospital when it had gathered itself together, had it opened whilst i was awake and fully aware of the pain. i think it was numbed but my god it didnt make a hell of a difference, i was in agony for a while after it, didnt help having to drive home, had stitches in this one which i got removed weeks later. this one started on sunday, i felt the lump, pressed it and said ouch,,, thought oh s**t. its swollen up pretty bad, i think the main pain is from it being underneath the second scar which is horrendously sore. i generally have a high pain barrier. i have a 4 year old and shes always saying 'mind your armpit, ill do that for u!!' shes an angel, but its at that stage that i cant move my arm, walk, wash pots, breathe-nothing, its just constant pain! ive until next friday until the antibiotics run out until i dare go back to the doctor, really prefer the surgery because its practically painfree afterwards, obviously u dont feel it when its being removed, and the scar is barely noticable compared to when they just slit it open. i feel sorry for anyone suffering with them, i was told because i have a family history of them that im gonna be suffering long term with them!!  jackie x
well, on sunday the cyst decided to open up. i had a bit of tissue to it cos i had some gunk coming out of it then when i pulled the tissue away it took away the last layer of skin and opened a hole in my armpit for brown/green pus to come out like a waterfall. its slowed considerably now, got a nurse to dress it yesterday n she pushed more gunk out (ive been pushing it out too) this morning before shower i took dressing off and again a good lot spurted out , nasty! still painful but not as bad TG, jackie x
By all the stated symptoms this is an infection of a sweat gland- cancer lumps are soft- the inflamation also indicates infection and only sweat glands can pouf up hard to the size indicated- what may have started as an ingrown folicile infection and tiny hard bump is now a full blossomed infection it should have an offensive smell unlike perspiration- very painful- I don't know what US Dr.s do but in France it would be drained, topical anti-bac-viral applied plus anibiotic tabs- any infection this size is serious- perhaps a dermatologist is better qualified in the US- difference between cancer and and infection in this area- fast swelling, really bad odor, painful, quite firm. will grow, may try to self drain if left un-attended but why risk health?
That happens to me but not just under my arm. Every where.  My dr. Says I have folliculitis.  They have been lanced over and over but still come back. He said there is nothing he can do. Im Looking for another dr. Now. I can't take this. Its so painful.  The lump under my arm now is the size of a silver Dollar and is getting bigger. Its so painful
No! Cancer lumps are not necessarily soft - on the contrary. Never assume anything.  Please always refer a concern to your doctor as soon as possible.
Icecream
External User
Stop using deodorants!!

1.Try taking activated charcoal (aka activated carbon) 20 to 30g [GRAMS] of activated charcoal in increments per day until the problem fades. Slur powder in WATER.

2. Next, Make activated charcoal powder to make a paste, (mix w/ corn starch just to thicken and WATER or just mix the carbon with raw honey or oats & water).. Pack it in and on the lumps. Use plastic cover (to keep activated carbon moist) and secure with fresh cotton (T-shirt, bandage, gauze, etc). Keep the carbon damp!!!  <This alone has cured people of hard, infectious lumps under the skin

3.After add a daily garlic supplement. This is natural and what I would do!!

** Do your own research.. I am not responsible. Do not take with any other medications!! Do not take with any dairy products.. Do not inhale the powder. Drink plenty of water.
**Activated charcoal should be taken under the guidance of a physician.
ok ive got one for who ever can answer this cause for 22 years nobody has been able to ive gotten sores under the arm & other places that go from small to huge thick very filled full of lots of puss & not one person can tell me or been able to help me get rid of them / Id live with the scares if I could get rid of the sores & never get them back & yes they are very painful at times / if you have an answer or even a thought you can reach me at ***@****
Icecream
External User
STOP Shaving & STOP using antiperspirant deodorant! I suffered from these HORRIBLE lumps, had to have surgery & placed on antibiotics every time. One of the nurses said to me that her partner suffered from the same thing & that she stopped shaving & stopped using antiperspirants & she has never had them again.......well I stopped shaving & antiperspirants & IT WORKED!!! I have not had one since. I trim my underarm hair only with hair trimmers so there is enough hair sticking out of the pore to keep the bacteria out plus I wipe my underarms with hand sanitizer several times a day to kill any bacteria plus I use a deodorant that is NOT an antiperspirant.