Large painful lump under arm

I am 34 and have an extremely painful large protruding lump under my armpit. I have never had anything like this every before. It is growing rapidly and now changing to a pinkish tone. I went to a doctor and he said it is an infected gland and put me on some antibiotics.  He said it should work.  It isn't.  I work at a job where I am irritating it constanly. It seems to grow more then.  Should I get it drained or wait for it to burst on its own? I am worried about the pain of the draining. I just don't know how much more pain I can take.  Help me please.  Any useful information would be very appreaciated.
      Thanks,
         April
April,
First of all, if the antibiotics aren't working where the doc felt confident they would, then you need to follow up with him/her or seek a second opinion. It does sound like the dx is right and the change in color to pink is probably due to the tightness of the skin as the growth enlarges. Believe it or not, the act of it draining will probably feel like a huge relief. It will take the pressure off and most likely be more relieving than painful. But given it's size, you need to make sure that a doctor is the one that drains it. Don't just start poking at it with a needle or something or you will find yourself with an even worse infection. So get back in touch with your doc and good luck!
Good advice.  Go back to the doctor right away.
My cousin just went through the same thing in the dr removed it ! it was a infected sweat gland! She is so relieved! after surgery she was given painpills for pain! went in had stictches taken out ! Was put on more antibiotics and pain pills again but she is so much more relieved than what she was before she had the surgery! You need to go back to the dr!
Well ladies.........it finally popped.  I didn't even know it was seaping until I went to go have a shower and looke at it.  It was oozzing green puss....yuck!!  It did bleed and doesn't hurt nearly as bad as before.......,however, it is still a hard lump especially under the skin.  Should I be alarmed or not?  I think if it doesn't go away by Monday I will go back to the doctors.  Is it normal to still be a large lump even after the drainage?  Could it be cancer if it doesn't hurt?
Very concerned,
April
April,
It drained on its own because the pressure built up and basically it ran out of room. The fact that there is still a hard mass or lump is not surprise and what you will find hapeneg is that the infection will start to build up again, then drain again since it now has found an exit. Eventually scarring may take place. It is an ugly cycle and your best bet is to go and have the entire thing removed. Some of the infection has drained but there is no way to get all the yuckiness out of there and so like I said, it will just start all over. So see a docor.. Dermatologist will probably be best and sees this ALL THE TIME!! And I know how embarrassing it can be so it helps knowing that they do see it often. Also when they remove it, they will biopsy it just to be on the safe side which will also ease your Cancer concerns. Sadly, even removing it surgically does not gaurantee that you won't have another one in the future. The doc will be able to give you all the facts, so please make an appt. and let us know how you are doing.
--J
Hi April and Everyone,

I too am experiencing the same thing and it's a recurring one.  I'm 31 years old and 21 weeks pregnant.  I have this painful lump under my arm that is getting bigger.  I have a 21-month-old daughter and when she was 6 months old, I had the same thing and I went to the emergency room because the pain was too much.  The doctor gave me antibiotics and said that it was too early to lance it (drain it).  I was a bit happy about that because I was afraid of them cutting it open.  Well, a couple days later, I saw my GP because the pain was getting worse and he gave me stronger antibiotics and put this anaesthesic cream on the painful bump and he lanced it and squeezed the stuff out.  It hurt a little bit when he was squeezing it out, but well worth it.  He told me there would be more and later that evening at home, I squeezed more out--It was so gross, but needed to be done.  There's a small, painless bump that remained and I stopped breastfeeding because my daughter didn't like the taste of the milk after that.

Well now, the small bump from before has gone much bigger and it's painful.  I'm worried now because I'm 21 weeks pregnant and I'm thinking that the doctor this time will not be able to give me antibiotics as well as much pain medication because of my pregnancy.  I'm hoping, like yours April, it will come out on its own.  

Does anyone have any other advice or information for this situation?

Many thanks.

I too am 30 years old and I have a pink lump under my right arm. I pray that it isnt brest cancer as my family is prone to cancer. I called my breast surgeon and made an appointment but just for times sake as I am going out of town I may go ask my PCP and get started on an antibiotic.
Hi, i found a lump on my armpit  it got soo big, i ended up going to the doctors about it and he drained it, but didnt give me any antibiotics  which i thought was abit mean... anyway i found another one, on the same armpit but just next to my old one... i went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics and said if it doesnt go away then i will have to go to the hospital =O  and get like knocked out :[ so they can clean it better and all that, which i DONT want to go.. im soo SCARED :'[ but the antibiotics have work alot, but i have finished them today, but im going to go back to the doctor just to check it... the lump is no longer there and the redness has gone... but when you press on it, you can feel something... its hard =S .... Can anyone help !! as i dont want to go to hospital and get like knocked out :'[  Do you think the hardness will  go?.. or will another lump come up? Any advice.. i would be so gratefull if someone could help me :]

Thanks :] x
OMG, I am experiencing the same thing except I believe it may be a little worse. It all started when I noticed an ingrown hair under my right armpit. Well, I tried to squeeze it out but it did not work. I noticed a few days later that it did have a head so at that time I got to pop it out. It let a little whole, but the only thing that came out was puss, so the hair was still inside. The next day I noticed another lump underneath the first one. I decided to leave it alone until I saw a head, but that never came to pass. Day after day it got bigger and a lot more painful. I decided that I needed to get the **** out before it got worse so I looked at another forum for some type of help. One person stated that they had gone through the same thing and said that after he poked it with a sterile needle he was fine one that puss was released. Well, listening to him I decided that it may work for me (wrong answer). Now on my arm the infection is spreading and now (besides the large lump that did return) I also have another lump plus a bundle of small white bumps that are everywhere. Both are extremely painful and feel as if my armpit is on fire. I went  to the doctor today and he put me on some antibiotic pills plus Vicodin. The vicodin is not working. What can I do to relieve the pain, I am scared and in pain..
I have had 3 large painful bumps now for a week under my armpit, there all close to one another (the lump under my skin is as big as a baseball)  no joke about that.  It hurts and i can't lift my arm up at all!! Ive been to the hospital before, i had the same kind of bump on my thigh that got as big as a golf ball, the dr. said it was caused by an ingrown hair and was so infected that he would have to cut it open and drain it, and cut out the glands in there(because he says it will only keep coming back if the glands aren't cut out) I'm not going to lie,  It frickin hurt!!!!! I have 2 kids, 1 i had naturally (labor 24 hours) I can honestly say depending on the size of the bump it hurts worse then labor them cutting and draining it then stuffing it with gauzze. But AFTER its al ldone with , it does feel better, not during the proceedure though.

The reason your not suppose to pick at it or shave or things like that is cause if someone else uses your razor or you touch your bump (without washing your hands afterwards) and then touch someone else, they'll get them also, my boyfriend got a bump on his leg awhile back it does spread quick, and the dr. said that their are only 2 antibiotics in this world that can clear this form of Staff infection, and then what are we all gonna do when we are immune to those?? Good question huh...... He said we start droppin dead like flys. So he said only last resort use antibiotics, the more we use them the less likely we will be the ones to live when the world has no cure for Staff or different forms of it.  

Use Tea Tree Salves  he suggested vitiman C also. It works and since I have no health insurance I need all the home remedies possible.
I have the same thing.  Only mine grew in one day.  From pea sized to large marble size and it hurts.  I can feel it when my arms are down by my side.  Im going to the doctors soon its been 2 days no improvement.
Hi everyone,

I have the sme issue, i have been getting mine on and off since high school, it usually goes away but the 2 that i have now has been there almost a year and it hurt like hell. I went to the doc he gave me vicodin- it eased the pressure but as son as they were finished they swell right back up. I wanted to go back but i needed to research who would be considered a speacialist in this area  (my first thought was a dermotologist but i needed to be sure).

I got one to pop but after it drained there was still hardness under the skin, i drained almost 2 weeks straight, eventually the opening closed up and it festered again. I am to the KNOCK ME THE HELL out and get these PIANFUL **** from under my armpit ALREADY-point....thats how fustrated i am with these thing. I even stopped wearing deoderant because the doc said it probably has something to do with it so now i am wearing perfume- which burns by the way!

Thank you guys for sharing you story i am relieved that i am not in this alone.