Late period with cramps and lower back pain???

I am about a week late and have had cramps like menstrual cramps for about 8 days, I am not pregnant (took a reliable test and husband had a vasecotmy 7 years ago).  My lower back is really starting to hurt and the cramps although are not really strong are annoying enough to notice.  Brief history: I have put on 10 lbs this year even though I am making serious efforts to lose weight through eating right; and my face is broken out like a 14 year olds.  I also have had pretty strong headaches once a day for a while.(been to the Dr's about this, they can not find out why I am having them).  I think it is hormonal or something?  Could it be fibroids or cysts or something?  I want to go to my OBGYN;(have not been to her in 5 years) but honestly always come away from the Dr's office feeling like I have not solved anything....I am only 34 and I know as you age your body changes; but I hope that this is not normal! Anyone out there have a clue what this could be or where to start to find out?
THANKS! :-)
HI I SAW YOUR POST,I WANTED TO REPLY AFTER I READ IT.I NOTICED A LOT OF THE THINGS YOU WROTE IN YOUR POST:BAD CRAMPS,GAINING WEIGHT,ACNE BREAK OUTS ON YOUR FACE,REALLY BAD HEAD ACHES.IT MIGHT BE YOUR THYROID GLAND.IF YOUR THYROID IS NOT PRODUCING THE HORMONES YOU NEED YOU CAN DEVELOP HYPERTHYROIDISM OR HYPOTHYROIDISM.WITH YOU GAINING WEIGHT IN A YEARS TIME EVEN ON A HEALTHY DIET,YOU ARE PROBABLY HYPOTHRYOID.YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS CHECKED OUT BY YOUR DOCTOR.THEY WILL ORDER A THYROID BLOOD TEST.ASK YOUR DOCTOR TO ORDER THE THYROID BLOOD PANEL.IF HE MAKES OUT THE ORDER THAT WAY THEY WILL CHECK YOUR TSH YOUR T3 AND T4.WRITE THIS DOWN IF YOU FEEL YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN HAVING THIS CHECKED IN TO.ALL SO I WANT TO ASK YOU HAVE YOU BEEN FEELING MORE TIRED LATELY,DO YOU HAVE HEAVY PERIODS,HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY HAIR LOSS WHEN WASHING YOUR HAIR.POST BACK IN AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
I think you have the right idea, you should go see your GYN. They are really the only one's who can provide a dx.

Good luck!

Andrea
Thank you both for responding, about a year and 1/2 ago when I went to my general prac. with the bad headaches he did a blood test for my thyroid, I like you, felt like that was it.  He said all of that came back "within range".  I have read though, that saliva testing is more accurate for hormones. (any htoughts on that??) I am considering buying one of those tests that test everything, all your hormones including cortisol am & pm to see if that may help me be able to go to the dr and say could you please look at these results and tell me where we need to go from there.  I have not noticed any extreme hair loss, my hair is really thick and long and it comes out everywhere, always has.  The main concern I have right now, is the late period and the cramps and back pain, I was up at 4am because I could not sleep my back was hurting so bad.  I am going to do some searches on here and try and see what that could be.  My husband just tells me it is from being a "farm girl" and doing a lot of manual labor, but I can tell this is not the same thing.

Again, thanks...you make me feeling like I am not crazy!
I am sorry, I did not answer all of your questions, about my periods...they started around 3 years ago getting a bit heavier, they have always (since 13) been heavy but now it seems that every other one is really heavy, lots of "clots" on day 2.  I read that this is just normal for some women and accepted it as life and know that I have to stay home on that particular day (running to a restroom every 20 minutes is not fun!)  I have 2 healthy children with 2 easy pregnancies; but I also have had 2 miscarriages after my 2nd child was born.  I have also been feeling queazy and nauseous and noticed my appetite is not as good as it usually is, I just assumed that may be the summer heat....don't know.  I DO know that if I go to a Dr with all of this they will look at me and think I am a hypocondriac or something; but I promise you it is all real.  I am normally a very healthy (and glad to be that way) person.  I am just a little scared right now.

HI I HAVE HERAD OF THE SALIVA TEST KIT.DO YOU HAVE A MERCURY THERMOMETER?BEFORE YOU LAY DOWN AT NIGHT SHAKE IT DOWN,AND LAY IT ON YOUR NIGHT STAND.WHEN YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING DON'T GET OUT OF BED AND DON'T MOVE VERY MUCH,YOU DON'T WANT YOUR TEMPERATURE TO RISE.LEAVE THE THERMOMETER IN YOUR MOUTH FOR TEN MINUTES.WRITE IT DOWN,YOU NEED TO DO THIS BEFORE YOUR PERIOD STARTS POSSIBLY TWO WEEKS BEFORE.YOU WILL GET A MORE ACCURATE READING.DO IT FOR THREE DAYS.TAKE THESE READINGS INTO YOUR DOCTOR.YOUR NORMAL BODY TEMPERATURE IS 98.6.IF IT IS LOWER LIKE 96.6 YOU ARE CONSIDERED HYPOTYHROID.IF IT IS HIGHER YOU ARE CONSIDERED HYPERTHYROID.AS FOR THE LOWER BACK PAIN DO YOU REMEMBER BENDING OVER OR REACHING TO HIGH TO GET SOMETHING.THE PAIN ALL SO MIGHT BE COMING FROM THE CRAMPING THAT YOUR HAVING IN YOUR STOMACH.YOU NEED TO SEE YOUR GYNECOLOGIST,THEY MIGHT DO AN ULTRA SOUND AND SEE WHY YOU ARE CRAMPING.OR THEY MIGHT DO SOME BLOOD WORK.TO CHECK YOUR HORMONE LEVELS ALL SO.GET YOUR SELF CHECKED OUT GOOD DON'T LEAVE THE DOCTORS OFFICE UNTIL YOU GET THE ANSWERS YOU WANT.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
HI YOU CAN GO TO THE GYNECOLOGIST RIGHT NOW.YOU NEED TO HAVE SOME TESTS DONE TO FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON.I'M GLAD YOU ORDERED THE SALIVA KIT.IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE,WHEN YOU GET YOUR RESULTS BACK IN YOU CAN SHOW THEM TO YOUR DOCTOR.IF SOME THING SHOWS UP HE WILLPROBABLY DO SOME MORE TEST,I HOPE I HAVE HELPED YOU WITH YOUR QUESTIONS.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
Yes, I have a mercury thermometer, I will have to try that.  Not sure when to do it now since my period is AWOL. ha-ha  I ordered one of the saliva test kits, it was almost $200 but I DO want to take the results into the Dr and maybe that will help us come to a conclusion about it all.  I have read a lot on hormone tests and it seems that the saliva screening is more accurate than the blood testing for varying reasons....so maybe I will know something soon.  I have never missed a period when I was not pregnant.....I have read that it can just sometimes happen; but how long should I wait before I become concerned about not having one?  Sure feels like my body wants to have one....

Thanks again, I did not know that about the hyper/hypo thyroidism....I will check that out and see where I stand!

Can I ask what the hair loss has to do with it? I have had some of the same complaints but also have noticed hair loss. I am 3 weeks late, mild cramping at times, lower back pain, pain in the pelvic bone and discharge. Very worried. I have an appt. tomorrow but won't rest until I see him. :(
Hi nycat. your comment really caught my attention because i have been experiencing the same symptoms as you. I am a 30 year old mother of 7 and recently me and the hubby decided to have another baby(imagine that!!!)  but anyways.....I have never missed a period ever in my life, i might have been a few days off but no more than a week. I had my las period on June 6th 2008 and was expecting to have it again on July 4th. Still no sighn of my period. I have taken 2 hpt's they  both came back neg. Since the missed period i have been experiencing headaches everyday, dull back pain, and alot of pelvic bone pain. I am confused at why all of this is happening the month that i try to get pregnant. I have an apt on the 24th and i'm kind of nervous because this have never been hard for me to concieve not to mention have   problems...................
I just noticed that this entry is very old. did u find out what was wrong??? I am desperate for some type of reason why this is happening to me!
Hi I have been having sum lower back pressure not so much of a camp tho....and usually my brest become very tender a week before I start my period. I also feel bloated but nothing Im not having no signs of my period. I have been feeling a little sick to my stomache not much tho and I've been experincing a lot of discharge ( I know gross sorry for the to much info ). I'm only a few days late so I was wandering if I could be pregnant or if it's just me. We've been trying for over three years know and I don't want to get to excited. Has anyone experinced this? I'm just wandering whats going on with me!
Hi I am Four weeks late and I did go to the doctors and had a blood test done which came out neg. They tested for everything and it all came out neg! I have cramps and lower back pain as well as fatigue! I have no idea what the heck is going on! I have been regular every month and not really stressed out at all. Someone please fill me in with what they think might be going on! Can you actually be pregnant even if the blood test came out neg?!!!!