Late period

My period is 5 days late what can cause this? My boyfriend and i have always used protection so there is a low percentage of pregnancy
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Well, first, unfortunately, all birth control does have a failure rate.  So, you DO need to rule out pregnancy.  But otherwise, it is perfectly normal to have a periodic late period or what is really a longer cycle.  Stress, illness, changes in routine, gaining or losing weight and other things can cause this to happen.  Take a test but don't worry too much hon.  good luck and great that you use protection all the time!
I am starting my leaving cert tomorrow so maybe thats why my period is late but i am quite worried that i will get  it in the middle my exams i dont know that to do