Lingering pain in vagina/groin

After masturbating I had a horrible stabbing sensation that lasted close to 10 minutes. I actually inserted something into my vagina. This happened on January 19th. After that day the pain has lessened. It only occurs off and on and isn't as excruciating as the pain that happened the first time. This pain is located in the pelvic and groin area, possibly inside the vagina itself. Does this sound like a serious problem or will it pass on its own?
This sounds like nerve entrapment, and these problems are generally self limiting. If it continues over six weeks get an in-person evaluation by a physician.