Lump in Armpit

At about 6 p.m. today I noticed a lump in my armpit. It is about the size of a penny and when I try to squeeze the lump it is slightly malleable (it stays a bit deformed and dented before slowly resuming its original shape). It is tender to touch. I am 15 and my mother says that it is probably and ingrown hair or pimple and that in a few days she will help me pop it, but I am worried. I need some advice, I have looked at some of other peoples experiences with lumps under the arm and I’m kind of scared. Help?

I have also been sick recently. I had a fever, upset stomach and bowels, and sore muscles for 2 days prior to today. Could this have something to do with it?
If you are truly scared about this see your doctor.  If you can wait a few day, try putting a warm tea bag on the area to draw any infection to a head.  Soak the tea bag in boiling water for a few minutes, take it out, wait for it to call enough for you to put it on your skin without burning, and leave it there for 20 minutes.  Do this a couple of times a day for three day.  If there is an ingrown hair or an infection of the hair duct, it will come to a head.  Good luck to you.