Menopause due to Mirena

I have a long hard story about my experience with the Mirena IUD.  I had my Son March of 2006.  He was a true blessing as he helped me mentally, emotionally, and physically.  I was very concerned about birth control after I had my son because I did not want to get pregnant any time soon.   I did not at all have any post partum issues it actually seemed that my hormones were even for the first time in my life.  My doctor suggested that I have Mirena inserted as it was good for 5 years and I wouldn't have to worry about all of the typical problems that birth control brings.  I wanted to do a lot of research because this was going to be a new part of my body and I was nervous, so I started out just taking the pill until I read all of the information possible.  In February 2007, I had Mirena inserted.  I had my period solid and heavy for 3 months, then did not get it at all.  In mid June, I noticed that I was feeling a bit down but blew it off thinking that I was just stressed.  All of a sudden I started to feel exhausted, wanted to sleep all of the time, I started getting severe hot flashes and night sweats, these funny brain tremors(can't even describe how bad that feeling is), losing my hair, mood swings, and absolutely no sex drive(my poor husband, he has been wonderful).  I went to my regular doctor who tested me for all sorts of things the big one being Thyroid, but everything came back normal.  Sleeping was non existant with the night sweats which made the mood that much worse.  I finally went to my OB in the beginning of November who did some tests on me and said that I was experiencing menopause.  I'm 25 and my son is only 1 1/2.  No freakin way!  He put me on Hormones (which by the way can cause every cancer in the book) and said that I will feel better within a day, but did not want to take Mirena out.  I said ok and went on my way.  I talked to many people for advice who told me to get it taken out right away and go off of the hormones.  I did that 2 days later, my OB asked no questions and I stopped taking the hormones.  I have noticed no change in how I feel, I still get hot flashes and night sweats, am still tired all of the time, losing hair, my skin is very dry and thin, I could go on forever it is only getting worse by the day.  I am strongly convinced that having Mirena in has caused the Menopause, I have had it out since the middle of November and the symptoms have gotten worse.  So my question is, has anyone or is anyone going through the same thing and does anyone know of a class action lawsuit against the makers of Mirena as there was nothing in their information that said this was going to happen.  I appreciate any feedback to ease the stress on me and my family and hopefully get some of a normal feeling back.

Thank you.
Ladies I just wanted to let you know that I just got off the phone with BAYER regarding the Mirena. To file a complaint it is advised that you call this number (toll-free) 1-888-84-BAYER (1-888-842-2937) for the Adverse Department. Please, please call to file a complaint so that they have to send it to the FDA and we can get this ball rolling for a recall since they never listed the horrible side effects that we have had to endure.Make sure you keep documentations of what has happened to you and take pictures as well just incase a lawyers office takes on this case.

My symptoms were (are) dizzy
headaches
excessive bloating
excessive weight gain
no response to exercise
hair loss
insomnia
acne
anxiety
extreme irritability
joint pain
itchiness
loss of libido
estrogen dominance
Hi, Just want to add my story to this subject.  I had my Daughter in 2001 & had an IUD fitted shortly after which caused numerous infections and so I had it removed 6 months later, my Gyno in Greece recommended the Mirena and I had it fitted in 2002. I had all the nightmare symptoms in the beginning, painful breasts, abdominal pains, headaches, mood swings, weight gain, loss of libido etc, but I stuck with it and eventually it all calmed down, although my libido has never returned.  My periods began to be erratic and eventually in 2005 they stopped altogether, I was told this was OK, nothing to worry about and I left the Mirena the full 5 years, having it removed in September 2007.  The new Gyno I went to for removal was horrified that I had it, gave me a lecture on how bad it is to stop your periods like this and told me that here in Greece they have stopped using it since 2004. After an examination he told me there were no eggs in the ovaries, but that I would have a bleed because of the removal and then expect a period after a month.  I went away, had my period a month later, another 1 after about 3 months and my last one in June. I have just been back to him, because I have been feeling so tired, experiencing low abdominal pains and a general feeling of unwell.  The examination revealed again no eggs and the blood tests show that at 42 I am going into menopause.  My Thyroid was also checked, no problems there. My feeling is that the Mirena is responsible for this early menopause, my Mother & Grandmother were both close to 50 when they started and I feel devastated that I will not be able to have another child that my Husband & I had talked about.  I feel I am too young, so I can only imagine what it must be like at only 25.  I hope they recall it and stop all of this suffering, I wish I had never heard of it.
I became pregnant in 2002 at the age of 34. After my son was born in 03, I wanted to be on a safe and effective type of birth control. I am a smoker, and could not use the pill, and was not sure if I was going to have anymore children or not, so tubal ligation was not an option for me. My gyno suggested the IUC. It was placed in 5-2005, and my nightmare began. I started experiencing dizziness, feelings of faintness, blurry vision, anxiety, no period, fatigue, cramping, breast nodules, no sex drive, facial hair growth, weight gain, and numerous other side effects. The one that was the most debilitating was the panic and anxiety. I had every test done to mankind to find the reason, and everything came back negative. I can't count the time, and money we have spent trying to pinpoint a cause, and after three years of struggling, I finally had the thing removed two weeks ago. I don't know if it was what was causing my problems, but through the process of elimination, I totally believe it was. If there is a lawsuit on this thing with a recall, I would sure like to know about it, because it significantly impaired my life for the three and a half years I had it.
I am a 39 year old mother of two healthy children, 16 and 11. After the birth of my eldest, I wanted to remain on birth control, but was unable to take the pill. That was when I had my first IUD put in. After the birth of my second daughter, my OBGYN suggested the Mirena. I have had it in now and have had no bad experiences with it.  Although my periods did stop altogether, I really was not sure if it was because of the IUD. I am an amateur boxer and am still training as if I was going to compete and due to my training routine, I was always sure it was due to low body fat. About six months ago, I started feeling very tired and yet could not sleep at night. I would go from being very cold to being very hot. I have also had more frequent headaches and had had low energy.  After going to the doctor on numerous occasions, I finally had the proper blood work done and when it returned, he told me that I was experiencing menopause!!!  Did I mention that I am only 39????  This is insane!!  Now looking back, my mood swings were quiet extreme. I don't know if my mirena could be the cause of this, but it seems funny after reading all of your comments. I wish all of you the best and hope that something can be done!!!
I am a 39 year old mother of two teenaged daughters.  I had my original Mirena inserted in July, 2002 due to extreme bleeding for many months.  I would bleed for about 24 days out of every month and felt horrible.  As I was only 32 years old at the time, my GYN did not want to perform a hysterectomy and suggested the Mirena.  I bled for a couple of months after insertion, but shortly thereafter I had no bleeding and have had no period ever since.  This is the side effect that is fantastic!  

Shortly after having the Mirena inserted, my marriage fell apart and I was feeling very depressed, EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED and overall "crappy".  I assumed that this was all due to my life circumstances.  I gained significant weight in my mid-section, I had (and still have) constant headaches, I am always still very very tired, am dizzy, fuzzy-minded, blurred vision, achey, etc. etc. etc.  I never once thought about the Mirena being the cause of any of these symptoms.

My doctor has checked my bloodwork numerous time to ensure my iron levels, etc. were okay as well as my thyroid - every time the results were normal so I thought it must all be in my head and all be due to me being somewhat depressed, etc. due to my marital breakdown.

I had my 2nd Mirena put in in December, 2009 as the first one was in for the full 5 years.   It was a little painful getting it taken out and the new one put in, but for me the pain was worth it to continue to be period-free for another 5 years!

Recently I have been experiencing hot flashes and night sweats so I asked my doctor if I could be going through menopause. She ordered bloodwork to check my hormones and informed me last week that yes, in fact I am quite far into menopause!!! (remember, age 39)!  Because I have not had a period in almost 6 years, I did have the early warning signs of menopause such as missed or irregular periods.  

I wondered why I would be going through it so early so googled "Mirena and early menopause" which brought me to this site.  When I started reading all the side effects, I wondered if it was maybe the Mirena that cause a lot my problems over the years and it wasn't in fact the disolving of my marriage and change in life circumstances.

I now have to decide what to do.  My doctor stated that I should (because of my young age) go on Hormone Replacement for quality of life.  (I am close to my decision and believe that HRT is beneficial for me) - hopefully this will help with the terrible symptoms of menopause I have been having.  

I am wondering if having the Mirena inserted had any part in accellerating my body into menopause.   I am thinking of having it removed before starting HRT because even though the doctor told me that there is a very low hormone dosage in the Mirena, I don't want to over-do it with hormones as that could cause me even more problems.  It would be amazing if I had it removed that I would feel the way I used to feel back 6 years ago (minus the husband)

FYI, before I had the Mirena inserted the first time I read and re-read the pamphlet which contained all the possible side effects, etc.  But, as I stated above, my life changed dramatically very shortly after insertion so it never occurred to me that some of my problems may be related to the Mirena.

If this device does accelerate a woman's body into menopause, this should be well publicized as it would be tragic for young women who use this as a form of contraception early in their life to only find out later that they are no longer able to conceive due to their body going though "the change".
I had Mirena inserted in May 2008, I was 35 at the time. Shortly after I started getting hot flashes, severe joint pain, anxiety and panic attacks and problems sleeping. I never thought it was due to the Mirena because my doctor told me the hormones in it were going to work "locally" in the uterus and would not go to the rest of the body. After several blood tests and two ultrasounds everything came out normal. Doctors thought it might be depression and started me on antidepressants. But the symtopms continued and I started to look back to what I did differently after I started feeling ill. The only thing was the Mirena. I did some research on the internet and found out many people had problems with it. I went to the doctor and he told me that he had placed at least 300 of them and nobody had complaints. I told him that maybe I was the only one, but I wanted it out. I had it removed on October of the same year I had it placed, only 5 months later. The symptoms continued and started having shorter periods. I went to a different OBGYN and had a vaginal ultrasound done and he said my ovaries looked very small. He ordered blood tests to check my hormones. And, guess what? it was menopause. I'm only 35 and have no family history of premature menopause. I'm on HRT and started feeling better immediately. No hot flashes, no joint pain and sleeping through the night. Thank God I already had the children I wanted to have. I'm sure the Mirena made me go through early menopause. Now I have to take HRT risking cancer problems. I also have to take Calcium supplements for osteoporosis. It's really sad.
I am 22 years old and have a 2 year old daughter and a 7 1/2 month old son. My husband and I were planning to have one more baby, just not right now, in a few years. I got the mirena in March of 2009 because my doctor said it would be great for me since I am so young and do want more children later. So after reading the information she gave me at least 20 times my husband and I chose to go this route with birth control. WELL....this was a big mistake! I have absolutely no sex drive, I have hot flashes, night sweats, my hair is falling out by the hand full, my husband and I argue almost constantly, I can't sleep even though I am exhausted....I could go on forever but it seems like I am not alone so I'm sure everyone knows the list of complaints!
These symptoms have been going on since about a week after I got the IUD put in. So this is about 6 months of suffering through this and I went looking for anyone else having the same problems.
I am horrified after reading ALL the women going into early menopause because of the Mirena....I am only 22 and it seems like this is possibly what is wrong with me right now. They need to recall this thing so nobody else has to go through this nightmare. I think I better get to my doctor, get it removed, and get everything checked out.
Thank you all for sharing, it helps to know I'm not alone.
I have to give my husband credit, he has put up with so much from me in the past few months. I have said some horrible things to him and kept him awake all night because I couldn't sleep, froze him because I have to have a fan on me and the air conditioning turned up way high to keep myself cooled off at night.
Hopefully I can get it removed and return to something close to normal for the sake of my family.
im 30 and been told i am in menopause, and i am in total aww i had my tube tied 3 years ago and then in may of 2006 had mirena put in due to heavy periods and it did nothing to lessen them, so in jan of 2009 it was taken out since it was in there for no reason. Well it is now oct of 2009 and still I have had no period and a few weeks ago my doc did some test etc. and is saying im in menopause, I am really really mad, and if he looks back I was having my normal heavy periods I've always have had since age 12 unless for a given reason till this mirena was removed and wow removing that put me into menopause, there is really something wrong here, please is there anyone that can help me....email me ***@****, if you have any info on this or a story of a kind. I though you had to be period free for a yr to determine menopause and mine hasnt been a year yet.
I am 45 beginning menopause and I smoke. I also have endometriosis which can be very painful. My dr. today metioned mirena for the endometriosis.Estrogen is out of the question because I smoke. After reading all of your horror stories I think I will wait until the end of menopause to see if the endometriosis syptoms subside.
I am glad I found this thread...didn't have a clue about mirena & menopause.  Mine was inserted in Oct. 2007 due to a blood clot after a car accident Aug. 31, 07 and having been on the pill.  They told me stop taking the pill & suggested the Mirena.  I have it in for 5 yrs., so still have nearly 3 to go.

My cycles are not completely gone, but are much lighter than they used to be.  I was more afraid of it piercing the womb or something.  I have some of the symptoms on the list but never associated them with the IUD.  Thanks for posting this information.

I am in tears reading this. I too am in menopause after having the IUD placed for irregular bleeding.
I have always had clockwork periods and then I started bleeding longer than I should. While it was no fun I could've managed it, but I would also sometimes go without a period for a couple of months. I believe that we all thought these issues were related to fibroids and my history of ovarian cysts. They told me that not having my period was dangerous as the build up of endometrium can actually lead to cancer. It seemed like a no-brainer, so I had the IUD placed. I never wanted it, but was told that I needed it!
Within a few months I had no bleeding at all, and have been virtually without a period for nearly the 5 yrs I have had my IUD. It was almost immediate that I no longer had a sex drive, I have been tired for years, bloated ( I even wondered if I had a tumor), I have crazy anxiety that hits in the middle of the night and is followed by hot flashes. I can be very moody!
My Dr. finally tested me after about 6 months and told me I was in early menopause. I was 39. I have not done much about this because I figured he was wrong. The lab test were borderline and that has allowed me to live in denial.
I should have researched sooner, and maybe I would be better off. This is not fair. I am upset and angry, I am too young and did not want to go through menopause at the age of 40! I wasn't sure that I was done having babies, otherwise we would've probably just taken my last ovary out.
I would like to be kept aware of any complaints/ class actions that are filed.
Thank you.
PS just made an appt to get the thing removed!
Thank you so much for all your stories, thank goodness I am not alone. After having my daughter in 1997 I started using Depo as the form of my birth control. I had to stop using it after 3 years because I had debilitating headaches and migraines. After the birth of my daughter in 2000 I started using Mirena.  I started having all these strange symptoms...headaches, hair loss, fatigue, irregular heart beats, night sweats, tenderness.  I thought that since I just had my daughter maybe some of the symptoms still lingured. It has been 9 years and I am still having these symptoms, but now they are even worse. Currently this is what is happening:

headaches/migraines
fatigue
dizzy/lightheaded (sometimes)
blurred vision (sometimes)
night sweats
insomnia
yeast infections
irregular heartbeats (which I was told by the doctor to just live with)
shortness of breath
depression

I am 33 years old and I am not suppose to feel like this. Thanks to all the stories now I can tell my doctor to test me for menopause to see if that is what's going on.

Thank you!
i am 21 have 2 boys i have the iud...i have had it for 16 months since my last son was born..i recently had a uti and took an antibiotics for it but it didnt help i have all the same symptoms i did b4 light headed dizzyness.hot flashes..no sex  drive..moody...and dnt know what it could be.. i also have lots of abdominal pain...i dnt want to get pregnant cuz i had a ruptured uterus recently when i had my last son.im scared of it being  becoming something serious
Im only 29, mother of three. I have been on mirena for almost nine months. I wanted it out after three months because of nausia and constant bleeding, but the obgyn who put it in said to wait...it would get better. after 6 mos i only have occasional spoting. i'm a mma fighter and thought my symptoms we from exersising too much, untill today. It dawned on me that my mom went thru menopause at 40 and started to realize most of the weird symptoms i have been having were very similar to what i watched her go thru.   my memory is going to the dogs and that is very scary. my joints hurt and get injured much easire than ever before, i feel like i have morning sickness every day, some times I break out in sweat (enough to soak thru jeans) watching tv or my feet go numb while im exersising. my sheets are soaked some nights and others im so cold i cant stop shivering. the amount of bruising i get has quadrupled. i have no sex drive. no apitite. weird headaches like ive never had before. my self comfidance has fallen thru the floor for no out side reasons. I though they were just a bunch of unrelated things untill my mother in law said "your to young for that" and it was like a light switch went on. I just made an apointment to see a woman doctor to find out im my guess is right. this ***** and i feel bad for all of you ladies who are going thru the same thing because of that stupid IUD. I can only hope it might get better when i get the mirena out, cuz i am way to dam young to feel this old.  
Hi Ladies

Booking to have the Marena out ASAP, cant believe there are so many ladies out there with the same problem.

Please keep me informed on any complaints/ class actions that are filed, I will be glad to add my story.

OMG! After 2 years of nightmare side effects with my Mirena, it finally fell out on its own about six months ago. It was actually convenient, as my husband and I had decided to try for another baby soon anyway. Since then, I have had crazy problems with night sweats, headaches, etc, and I am not ovulating! I am going to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked next week, and I am going to be PISSED if this device has sent me into early menopause. Does anyone know anything about doctors getting "kickbacks" to push the Mirena? My doctor really seemed to want me to go with the Mirena when picking out birth control after the birth of my daughter, and when I came back to him a few months afterward to discuss the awful headaches and other side effects, he was adamant that it "could not be the IUD." Something doesn't seem right here!
I had a Mirena IUD for about 3 years. A friend told me after she had hers removed she was having irregular periods and trouble conceiving a baby. I immediately had mine removed. A year an a half later, I too am experiencing irregular (ie NO) periods. I had my LH and FSH levels checked... SEVEN times the normal limit!! Yep, menopause for me too, at age 29! Thought it may have just been a coincidence but now that I read your stories, I'm devastated. My family is not complete :(
Just saw my Endocrine specialist today ( have a high prolactin level due to pituitary tumour that i take medication to lower) anyway, now it appears that my LH and FSH are abnormally high too. I am 27 with two boys, the youngest is 13months. I too thought Mirena was a great option as we haven't ruled out the idea of a third child ina few years. The specialist said the levels could be a 'kickback' from the Mirena or early menopause. I assumed that if it is a 'kickback' then simply removing it should lower the levels? After reading these posts it seems that the damage may already be done. I have had the mirena for just over a year now. I do not recall any knowledge of it possibly causing menopause...this is scary stuff!
I just turned 23.  I have a handsome 4 year old boy, and a 3 year old princess.  I had my Mirena put in in February 2007; at my 6 week check-up.  I had some interesting side effects directly after, but assumed it was due to inserting it so close after giving birth.  I never really thought twice about it.  

I started searching on the internet because I have had very interesting symptoms in the past few years, but never deduced that it was due to the IUD.  My husband actually came up with the answer of Premature Menopause.  I couldn't believe it.  But I have all the signs.

Insomnia
Stiff Joints
Memory Loss
Excessive Sweating
Depression/Anxiousness
Vertigo
Heart Palpitations

I have had irregular periods but that has been "normal" for the duration of my IUD. Maybe a 1 day period every 3 or 4 months.

Every search I have made about linking Mirena to Premature Menopause comes up with, "because there have been no studies regarding this, it is impossible to connect the two."

Upon additional research, I have decided that I am going to schedule to have my IUD removed.  Maybe I am just being paranoid.... But I am super scared.  I'm not done having kids... I always wanted a large family.  This can't be happening!
i have been having these symptoms too, and due to a lot of other health problems i have my drs have been putting it off.  i went to my fibormyalgia specialist the other day and am being tested for perimenopause, which i am scared to death of as i want more children, my son is three and a half.  i am so glad that i found this site and can talk to other woman that are going through the same thing, as horrible and ugly as it is.  i am having the awful hot flashes, night sweats, no sleeping and then being tired all the time, brain fogginess, hair loss, mood swings, no libido, all of it.  i hope to hear from others and maybe we can compare symptoms and treatments, and hopefully one of us will find something that works.  i have a lot of faith in my dr, i see her again in six weeks, and hoepfully we can start a treatment then that will give some relief.  i look foward to hearing from others,  thanks a lot
ali
I got the IUD inserted in October of 2009 and have hated it ever since. I decided to give it a year and see if there would be any positives about it. I had my daughter at 33 and got chronic HBP from the pregnancy. After I turned 35 my doctor didn't want me on the pill anymore and the IUD seemed the only logical birth control for me.  No improvements for 11 months and I'm scheduling an appointment to have it removed this month, September.  For starters, when he inserted it, I had this horrible jolting pain on my right side. I know my uterus is tipped a little, but I really didn't think that had anything to do with the insertion as the doctor knew this from the results of my ultrasounds done previously.  I had to lie on the table for 15 mintues...I was pale and gray, felt sick to my stomach and very shaky.  I left and went home.  The whole ride home was miserable and the next 2 day after. I had bad cramps and if I bent too much or got out of a chair too quickly, I would be doubled over in pain. I called the doctor on the 3rd day and he said it was normal. Give it a week. okie dokie then. I never stopped bleeding for 3 months. Not spotting, bleeding, like a light period. Those subsided after the 3rd month and now I have a constant "leaking" sensation and discharge. No infection present. I recently have been seeing a chiropractor for a tailbone issue. He did an xray.  I noticed that my IUD was to the right side of my mid section. What? My uterus is in the middle isn't it? That concerned me and my husband. So, here are MY symptoms since I've had the IUD...extreme irritability, no sex drive (I mean ZERO), depressed feelings (I could cry at the drop of a hat), mood swings, feelings of severe bloating and constipation, pudgy lower belly, bigger boobs (good lord I'm already a D I don't need to be any bigger), "zapping" sensations in the mid section that could extend up the back as well as jabbing pains in my ovary area that have doubled me over, inability to concentrate at times, horrible memory, brain "zaps" (hard to explain but they're like "pinging" sensations in my head), WEIGHT GAIN despite how I diet and exercise. I am 5'10" tall and normally weight around 180, I am at 214 now and have not changed the eating habits I had before the IUD. My husband has been very tolerant. His only goal in life is to make me happy and I can't make him happy :( We discussed it all the other night and we cannot wait to get it out! I want my life back!  My children suffer from my horrible mood swings and irritibility. I am lazy, I have no energy, I am exhausted (for no reason), I could sleep for days, I feel sluggish and fat. Oh yes, and don't forget the zits!! I never had a zit problem, even in high school. But the gargantuate pimples that pop on my face literally overnight are so embarassing! Blurred vision, did I mention that? My thyroid has been checked and I'm fine. I did have a little bit of a Vitamin D deficiency this later winter which my regular doctor said could have contributed to the depressed feelings.  I took prescription Vitamin D and didn't feel any better. I want this thing out of my body. It's alien, I feel pregnant and probably look it too although no one would say anything, I'm embarassed about  my body, even with my husband and honestly feel that I am NOT a woman. :( I would not recommend the IUD to anyone. It's invasive and doesn't belong in your body! I'll go back to condoms!!!
I had Mirena placed to stop a heavy period that lasted 6 weeks after a DNC they put in the Mirena and soon after I was fine. 5 yrs later I had it removed and have been flooding for 25 days with a migraine well the bleeding stoppedfor 2 weeks but lastnight it was like my water broke and blood ran down my legs it has stopped again but the migraine is still here 7 weeks straight I just turned 41 two weeks ago and have been to the Doctor and the ER they all tell me I'm fine here take pills for your head. I have hot flashes like mad and heart palpations mood swings lazy depressed and back pain. I don't know what to do now.
I have to say that I almost cried after reading these posts.  I have made an appointment to have my Mirena removed this morning.  I feel like I'm carrying a cancer in my body and I want it out NOW!  

I was just told about 2 months ago that I am menopausal after just turning 41.  I had suffered with all the symptoms everyone else is mentioning, extreme fatigue, lack of libido, hair loss, extreme joint pain, hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, irritability and extreme weight gain for 3 years or longer!  I have gone to my regular internist and to my OB/GYN complaining of all these symptoms just to be told all my blood levels were fine.  

I actually began to think I was going crazy because I felt all these things but no one could find a reason for why I was feeling like this.  On one hand, it is good to know why I felt this way and that I am not crazy but I feel like I lost 3 years of living my life with all these horrible side effects!  

Like some of you I have gone on HRT via pellet therapy.  I have felt much better since starting that treatment but am concerned about the risks that involves.  I decided I had to try it for quality of life reasons.  I have 4 children ages 6-15 and I need to be able to function for them and enjoy their lives!  

I know that having the Mirena removed is not going to reverse the menopause but I can't stand the thought of that horrible device in my body any longer.  After further internet research, I'm terrified of the side effects that can come with its removal!  

I am praying today that at least this part of this Mirena experience will go well for me and I can be done with this THING that has taken so much of my life and my family's happiness away from me!    
I am 34 years old, I had a terrible 3rd pregnancy and got the mirena inserted at my 6 week check up following delivery. Shortly there after I started having problems with pain. My back hurt, my feet hurt with every step. My hands would fall asleep just talking on my cell phone or driving with my hands on the wheel. I was diagnosed with plantar fasceitise, and when I didn't even have enough strength in my hands to use a stapler at work I started to look into seeing a rheumatologist to be evaluated for rhuematoid arthritis. I thought before I was evaluated for an autoimmune disease I should remove anyting foreign to my body. It was at this time that I found this website and made a connection between rheumatoid arthritis and my  mirena. This reinforced my decision to have it out. It was in for 4 months and has been out for 14 months. All of my pain issues have disappeared thankfully, however I have an appointment with my gyn in 12 days to discuss my possible early menopause AT 34! Luckily we are done having children, but if there is any sort of a class action lawsuit towards this drug, count me in! If I have to take hormones for the rest of my life to protect my bones and protect my heart I am going to be one ticked off chick! By the way, I'm a pharmacist and read all available provider information before I made the decision to have it inserted, these things were NOT part of the informed decision I made!