Merina IUD and Cramps

I am a 37 y/o woman who has had no children.  I had the Merina IUD inserted a week ago and I am still experiencing heavy cramping and spotting.  I have been told by my OB/GYN that the Merina is safe for women who have never had a child and that these symptoms will subside. Does anyone out there use the Merina who has not had children?  If so, what are your experiences with it?
Ive had my kid for 2 yrs and haven't really had much of a period and now I'm having cramps that feel like labor pains and now I'm bleeding . I just had my papa ear and everything was normal..is this normal?..
i just got my iud on the 21st and I've also never had children, it was pretty uncomfortable during the insertion and the after cramping was bad. However I only had light spotting the first day and moderate cramping. However, i have engagedd in sexual intercourse on the 23rd  and it was no problem, although the next day i did have uterine cramping. I hope this helps you decide.
i had mine 2 days ago, no kids im 18 and i have really weird cramps... in the morning i have none then like at midday they appear and get really bad while the day goes by.. and i wanna have sex... is having sex gonna make cramps worse?
I had mine inserted last Monday and since reading all these comments I feel so much better. I had a dnc and mirena inserted and the cramps I have during the evening are quite bad but suportable. I have no kids of my own so I think that is the reason why I am in pain.  I did it to control my periods as they are very heavy and hardly never stop.

My doctor told me to wait 6 weeks to have sex, swim or a bath ( just showers).  Also he said to wait for at least 6 months to see if the mirena is working ok or not so I cross my fingers and pray all goes well.  In the mean time I'm trying to take it easy as much as possible, even though it's a bit difficult as I have 3 kids ( adopted). Thanks for all your feedback : )
Take into account which IUD you had placed. I heard from my OBGYN that she herself tried the Paragard IUD and said she bled constantly until she had to have it removed. She said it took years for her to try again with the Mirena one because the Mirena one also treats heavy bleeding. So if you are having heavy bleeding with either, I would go back to the doc now, not in a month. But if it's just spotting, that is a normal side effect of both Mirena and Paragard
Thanks for making that comment, you did it a lot more tactfully than I!  
I had my Mirena inserted on 4/10. I'm 42 and have no children. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. I did not pass out or feel like throwing up, but was kind of weak afterwards from tensing up. The doctor couldn't get my cervix to cooperate and so the actual insertion took 2-3 minutes and the pain was severe during that time. Afterwards I had pretty bad cramps for about 2 hours and then they started to subside. Second and third day were ok, I took ibuprofen throughout the day and it was tolerable. Today is the fourth day and I'm in pain. I had some mild cramps this morning and took 600mg of ibuprofen. It's now 3 hours later and I'm starting to have bad cramps on and off for the past hour. Right now, I'm wondering if it was worth it. Although I know in the end it will be, I don't know that I will be able to tolerate this type of paid for 2-3 months as some people do. So I am praying that this goes away soon.
I had been on the patch, pills, depo-prevera, u name it! I decided on the Mirena because I already have a 13 and 4 year old and do not want any more kids for now. When I had the mirena inserted, it was extremely painful, I am unsure if its because I am very petite and small frame and only weight 98 pounds, but I started spotting the same day it was inserted and extreme cramps that felt like contractions. It was ridiculously painful & I was not expecting that much pain, especially that I had 2 vaginal deliveries.

Of course, every woman will experience things differently and I have heard the mirena is very good, so I am hoping this will all go away, I have an appt in 3 weeks, let's see how it goes. :)

I had the same reaction when I got my mirena placed.I never got cramps with my period before and when my doctor was putting mirena in the cramps were so bad, i cried the whole time my doctor placed mirena. I felt extremely sick and had to go to the bathroom immediately after getting it placed. I have had it for almost a month now. I think it depends on the individual's body baed on how long the bleeding/spotting lasts. Some people react differently.

My doctor recommended me to have mirena placed while I was on my second or third day of my period because it made it easier to put mirena in because my cervic was diailated more which made it easier for the mirena to go in and not cause as much pain.  
I have the iud  in place now for abt 11days. I have never been pregnant I am one if those women who hve never had a regular period frm teen to adulthood I hve been on birthcontrol gor as long as I can remember. At one point I stop taking bc because to a certain point it made no sense I wasn't gonna get pregnant anytime soon. So my doctors diagnosed me with me pcos so it was gonna be a diffcult struggle for me to concieve so anyway. Also I hve chf(congestive heart failure) at 25 so getting pregnant was definitly out the question. So I go in to get the iud  inserted I had real bad painful cramps during and after the insertion I went into a full panicked mode at the clinic only thinb tht I found to help with the cramps is sex but u r told to wait 3 wks so u won't get a std but u can use condoms n pamprin those seem to help me thru the pain. So now I'm having a period n its pretty heavy.
I have the iud  in place now for abt 11days. I have never been pregnant I am one if those women who hve never had a regular period frm teen to adulthood I hve been on birthcontrol for as long as I can remember. At one point I stop taking bc because to a certain point it made no sense I wasn't gonna get pregnant anytime soon. So my doctors diagnosed me with me pcos so it was gonna be a diffcult struggle for me to concieve so anyway. Also I hve chf(congestive heart failure) at 25 so getting pregnant was definitly out the question. So I go in to get the iud  inserted I had real bad painful cramps during and after the insertion I went into a full panicked mode at the clinic only thinb tht I found to help with the cramps is sex but u r told to wait 3 wks so u won't get a std but u can use condoms n pamprin those seem to help me thru the pain. So now I'm having a period n its pretty heavy.
I am 19 and have never been pregnant and decided I to get mirena placed a week ago... When i got it inserted i was in horrible pain and very uncomfortable since it took about 20 mins total. Afterwards i couldnt stop shaking, felt like i was going to get sick and had to lay down for about an hour before i could even get up to get dressed because i was so dizzy that i almost passed out when i stood up. I have to go back to the doctor tomorrow because im in more pain today than i was in when i got it inserted! And let me tell yu it was the worst pain ive ever been in. 5 ibuprofen didnt even help. Everybodys body has a different reaction and i plan on waiting it out and see if it gets better soon because this is the best type of birth control for me! Totally worth all the pain :)
I am 21 years old and have 1 baby she 5 moths after a month of giving birth to her I had my iud put on Like 2 months ago..it hurted when it was put In but then after an hour it went away but now after  two months I am having a lot of pain in my lower Stomach and a lot of cramping but no bleeding or spotting at all...before the string from the mirena felt long but now it feels shorter..idk is that something bad? Any advise?
I had my Mirena inserted 1 week ago today.  I am 42 years old have 2 children 16 & 18.  During insertion the cramping was alot worse than my normal period.  I am still having cramps today (not severe just annoying) the problem i worry about is I am having a slight discharge.  It started clear/bloody from spotting but today it has changed to a milky color.  It isnt constant but really concerns me.  Has anyone else had this?
I had the mirena IUD placed two days ago and may I say the pain was just .. out of the world. Im 18 and never had kids before. I literally cried and wanted to scream but couldnt let it out due to the extreme pain. But the pain I would say was only for the time that the doctor took to place the IUD inside. After words I was a bit shaky but they put me in a recovery room and gave me hot tea and crackers. That honestly helped a bit. Oh yes, they gave me midol prior to the procedure to help lessen the pain and cramping afterwards. I had minor cramps I would say, like a normal period. I even walked 40 blocks back home but took bed rest for the rest of the day. The next day I was ready to go to work :) -its just a stress relief so you dont have to worry about getting pregnant all the time. I will see how this works out and will post again in a few months or so.

ONE last thing. I checked today for the strings and felt a weird sticky brownish substance but thats normal apparently, will call the doctors office tomorrow to make sure. BETTER safe than sorry :)
i had mirena inserted a year ago, ive never had kids and when it was inserted i cried because they had to pull my cervix down altough it was horrible it didnt last that long. later that day i could feel the coil poking me on the inside of my vagina, i had severe cramps, and a little spotting. the first was horrible i was constantly in pain and i had kept feeling the coil string poking me. but i waited it out, i dont have many complaints about it now. my period isnt as heavy anymore, i havnt gained weight ive actually lost weight. every month during my menstral cycle i get really bad cramps when before i got mirena inserted i rarely had cramps so that was a change. also after i got mirena when having intercorse with my husband it was painful. SOMETIMES.im considering getting it removed, but im afraid it will hurt like when i had it inserted. i fear that it may be stuck and then the doctor will have to do surgery to remove it! so yeah im frighted about that but im not sure yet. since i dont have insurance they charge 300 dollars to get it removed
I had my mirena inserted at the end of April 2012. It was painful during the insertion but the cramps eased up throughout that day and I continued to take ibuprofen as directed by my doctor. However, a few days later I would get horrible, intense cramps that were comparable to labor pains (or so I am told, I have not had any children). I would have to sit down at times they would be so bad but they never seemed to last too long. I was also spotting the whole time. Then about three weeks ago I quit spotting and cramping for the most part. However, now I am bleeding and cramping intensely. I have read that it can take up to 6 months for your uterus to get used to a foreign object, so I'm just waiting it out. But those 3 weeks without the spotting and cramps were amazing, because before mirena I tended to have long menstrual cycles. I have noticed that my skin has been breaking out more but I was could be a little more proactive in always remembering to wash it at night if I've worn makeup.
I had Merina fitted on Thursday and hardly felt a thing.  I had my only daughter via c section 4 years ago.  Today I have started cramping and have had to take pain killers for the first time since having it fitted.  I've had some mind blowing cramps in my time, i'm not there yet and have no bleeding or spotting, will see how it goes, i'm praying it's ok as I need this to work.  anyone else had a delayed pain/cramping responce to having this fitted?
I'm 21, never had kids and have endometriosis... had my iud inserted 4 days ago. The insertion was a bit painful, but quick... my gyno said she could do the procedure with sedation in a hospital, but I didn't want all that trouble.. she also explained that sometimes the internal orifice of the uterus is too small and in cases like that she never inserts without sedation, because it's too painful - i guess that's something you should discuss with your doctors, because there are so many awful stories about the insertion, and i guess it could be avoided if other options are available!

(About cramping: i really hope it goes away soon!!! it's being too painful for me, today I almost vomited because of the pain.. aaargh!! I know it's to be expected, but that's really bothering me...)
I am getting them four years in and can hardly move, I am dizzy, and light headed .. is that normal? It worries me.
Thank you for all the posts.  I had my Merina inserted yesterday and wanted to kill myself on the table.  I was given Misoprostol to open up my cervix 3 hours a head of the procedure as I haven't had children. Within ten minutes I was vomiting, bleeding, chills, cramps etc.  My doctor saw me right away and said I had the worst end of the side effects.  The IUD insertion was painful beyond. I had severe cramps until 3am and was not given pain medication; my over the counter medication was useless.  Day two and I am cramped, bloated, and bleeding but I remain optimistic. I chose the Merina to balance hormones and reduce heavy menstruation. I have a history of extreme reactions to hormone imbalances, but was not expecting the insane pain of the procedure.
i had it put in today n it was awful my doc said i have a very lil cervix but i have had a baby n to me having it put in was worse than my baby girl coming out im having bad cramps but they seem to be getting a lil better but if they last for over a month i getting it took out
I had my IUD put in yesterday.  My doctor had to surgically implant it.  The cramps started 24 hours later.  I can't imagine dealing with these cramps for months to come.  I hope all of this is worth it.  I am 38 and had it put in to deal with peri-menopausal symptoms.  The one thing my dr. didn't tell me was how to check the strings.  I guess only time will tell.
That describes me situation PERFECTLY. Insane sex drive, heightened orgasms, but I'm one week post mirena and the cramps have not subsided. Pain was so bad on insertion that I also puked, couldn't drive home, and stayed on a bed in doctor's office until they closed in the evening.  Did the carmping finally stop? Did you have to get it out?
I had Merina placed 3 weeks ago and still have mild cramping and spotting everyday. I went to my follow up last week and my Dr. said that was normail and can last from 6 weeks to 6 months after placement. The cramps should subside within 4-6 weeks but the spotting could continue for 6 months!
Ive never had children and I had Merina placed 3 weeks ago and still have mild cramping and spotting everyday. I went to my follow up last week and my Dr. said that was normal and can last from 6 weeks to 6 months after placement. The cramps should subside within 4-6 weeks but the spotting could continue for 6 months! Also the insertion was HORRENDOUS! Im talking worst pain of my life... but I was told bc Ive never had a child my cervix is very sensitive to manipulation and this was to be expected... I should have asked to be numbed first (I was told AFTER insertion by a friend that you could ask to be numbed, needless to say I was not very happy with my GYNO)
AGREE! I had the EXACT same reaction to everything! But well worth it!
Hey ladies!

I just wanted to offer my input on the IUD.  I just got Mirena inserted today and it went really well.  As I'm reading all the posts, I'm starting to realize that a lot of these GYNO/Nurse Practitioners might not be as experienced with the insertion procedure.  
My GYNO was so amazing!  She gave me lidocaine (local anesthesia) and I didn't feel ANYTHING.  In fact, the lidocaine gave me the best orgasm i've ever had. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it was seriously painless. Although, I did feel nausea afterward and did have some cramping.  I still am cramping a little and spotting, but it's not too bad.  I'm hoping that my periods disappear!

Good luck everyone!  Mirena is so worth it if you can get a good doctor and also don't have excessive side effects!
I was seriously scared after reading all these comments, but honestly I think it's best not to think about it too much!
Not sure if anyone will read this but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm twenty, no kids, and got my IUD nearly two weeks ago. The insertion itself wasn't too awful (grit your teeth painful, sure) but that didn't compare to the cramping I had later that night. Holy cow. Not fun. I've always had terrible cramps since my first period, but that was unreal. Since then I've had pretty awful cramps every day since the insertion. No bleeding whatsoever though, which is a plus. I had been feeling a little better so I decided to go running yesterday and felt fine until about an hour after the workout. The cramps had me on the floor practically paralyzed. Not to mention sex... ouch.

I really hope I start bleeding soon (haha, I never thought I'd say that) because I'm generally a paranoid person and I feel like that'll ease my mind a little. It's good to know I'm not the only one getting horrible cramps weeks after the insertion so I'm guessing it's pretty normal, even though I'm sorry any woman has to go through them.

Just gotta tough it out, eh?
I am 46 with no kids. I had my mirena inserted last week. Even after 600 mg ibuprofen 2 hours before AND being given a local anesthesia it was so painful I flinched and then the Mirena wasn't inserted properly so I had the option of trying again or coming back the next week for complete anesthesia, ugh. I did it again. It was painful but I made it. Haven't stopped cramping since. I came on this site to read if the cramping is normal. Appears to be the case.( If I knew it was this much of a pain my husband would have had a vasectomy. To add insult to injury I had to pay for the treatment twice (600 Euro) since the first one didn't go in right because I flinched due to the pain. I am in Germany with American insurance so not sure what will be covered. Hope it is worth it.
I'm having the same issues...you nailed it on the head.  I had mine put in November 1st, it's not January 14th.  I'm fine most of the time but I will all of a sudden get terrible cramps that make me bend over in pain, and as you said into the bottom as well.  At first I thought it was really bad gas pains but that can't be it!  I hope it gets better.  I intend to give it time but sometimes I feel miserable.
I am a 24 yr old woman, never had kids who got her copper IUD almost 3 months ago.

Good to know that other people are experiencing the same thing- heavy bleeding,irregular spotting,more cramps. For me what has been most noticeable is that the type of pain has changed. I used to get sort of "dull ache" menstrual pain. Now I get sharp, really painful stabs that sometimes make me feel nauseous or make me keel over in pain. ***** but I am hoping it will go away. My friends who have it in say after about 4 months everything goes back to normal.

What has worked for me has been taking YARROW TEA (either in tea bags or I just seep yarrow leaves and add honey). It helps a bit with the pain but more than anything, when taken regularly, stops spotting. I drink a big cup a day in the mid morning. Awesome cheap and natural solution. Try it, hope it works for y'all too.
I just had the iud inserted today. I threw up because it hurt so bad. My ob even gave me Valium so I would relax. But holy Jesus was it painful. She told me to take the day off of work to rest, but I had too much to do. Anyway, all day was horrible, I literally have been so uncomfortable. My back hurts, I am eating like I am on my period and I am so sore everywhere. Pain meds don't help, although I've only taken ibprophen. I work in a company where I interact with many nurses and all of them told me to call my ob to prescribe a narcotic. I am not used to having these cramps, I got the iud, not just to be safe, but because my uterus walls are very thin because I haven't naturally had my period consistently (or not at all) for over three years (I have a pituitary tumor). Because I am so bad at taking pills and because there were too many hormones in pills, this was my only option. We discussed it many times and it seemed like a good idea.... Until I went in and had it done. I feel horrible, like my body is rejecting it and its unnatural. Again, first day so I am miserable, but the insertion was so painful that I literally never want to even think of it again, and it only took 5 minutes...
I just recently had the mirena IUD inserted, about a week ago.i did my fair share of searching how painful insertion was so i took 600mg of ibuprofen before my appt as my ob-gyn instructed. ive never had a child and im only 18 years old. the pain was pretty painful but nothing i couldnt handle. i am used to really bad cramps. because i have not had children my IUD slipped out after three days and my second insertion was much more painful due to the fact that i had no pain medication in my system. its been four days now and im still experiencing that same cramp feeling and i dont know if its because its slipping out again.not sure if i should just wait it out as some other women have because i love the idea of mirena!
it does not hurt as bad having it removed, just a small pinch, nothing lke insertion
I just had Mirena put in 1 week ago from today. I'm almost 24 yrs old, and have never had kids. I've been on the Depovera shot for BC for years...too many consecutive years honestly, which is why I was looking for other options. I feel bad for all the women who experienced horrible pain, but I can say it's certainly no walk in the park! I thought I was a wimp, but apparently all women react similarly during the insertion. My DR prescribed a hormone pill to open my cervix & induce labor. I took it the night before procedure, and the morning of. DR also prescribed a xanax and 2 hydrocodones to help with the pain. I took the xanax & hydrocodone 1-2 hours before procedure, but the pain was still terrible! Yes, it only lasts 5 minutes, but I was very vocal during the procedure. lol. I can only imagine how I will be when actually having kids if I reacted that way on a pain pill & anxiety pill. My boyfriend of 6 years took me to the appointment and drove me home. Afterward, I laid on the couch with my feet up, keeping a heating pad on my abdomen to help with the cramping. I took 1/2 of the other hydrocodone that night to help me get to sleep. I'm still having random cramping, it comes & goes. We have already had sex (about 4 days after procedure), but I will warn you ladies, I felt a little cramping during sex, and my boyfriend said he could feel the mirena, and feels like he has a bruise from it. So, with that being said, if you feel up to having sex, be sure your partner takes it easy at first. Hopefully my cramping will subside soon. I have not had any bleeding. I've actually lost 5 pounds the past week, but not sure if it's a direct result from having Mirena vs the shot. I'm about 25 lbs overweight, so I'm hoping now that I'm on Mirena, it will be easier to work out & lose weight. I think the BC shot was contributing to my weight gain. Good luck ladies!
I'm 17 and had my merina inserted three days ago. I had never cramped in my life and I've been cramping so much since I got it inserted. Not to mention I had it inserted with no pain medication prior to the insertion. The pain is killing me. I guess I'll wait a couple months and see how it goes.
This is very helpful! I'm 35 y/o, no kids, and I've had mine in for two weeks now. Since I had it inserted during my period, and my periods are pretty awful with regard to cramping and heavy bleeding, the pain when it was inserted didn't bother me too much - it just felt like a bad cramp. My period started getting lighter immediately, but then a few days after my period had ended I started having mild but consistent cramps and nausea with no bleeding. Then the cramps and nausea stopped and I started bleeding a little, and now I just seem to have days where I am cramping and nauseous, and days where I am bleeding/spotting. It's very odd, since I don't know when I'm going to be feeling sick or when I'm going to bleed. The cramping seems to get worse when I'm stressed, but I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation between my stress level and my cramping. I've also been having a hard time sleeping at night - I keep waking up and can't go back to sleep - but I haven't read anything on the Internet about mirena causing insomnia. I would love to hear from other women who have experienced insomnia as a possible side effect. I'm really hoping that the cramps/nausea/bleeding go away soon, and I'm really hoping that the mirena doesn't kill my libido the way the nuvaring did.
I'm at two weeks right now. Just curious - how long did the cramping/bleeding last?
thank you! I'm not enjoying this random bleeding/cramping/nausea, but it's only been two weeks, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't take a full three months for the side effects to end!
Ah, thank you! I'm also two weeks into the Mirena random cramping/nausea/bleeding rollercoaster. I'm hoping it doesn't take the full 3 months to subside!
It helps a lot! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for the cramping and nausea to go away!
I'm not sure you'll ever see this but the pain was bad. I have awful cramps and bleeding/clots. No pain meds before insertion and was bleeing heavily and clotting at insertion time. I grabbed the wall it hurt so much!! I couldn't rest after...had to work and had a late night in doing so. Second day and it hurts every bit as bad. I have pain in my head, thighs, back and cramps. I'm no wuss, either. I have Lupus, Fibro...was accidentally shot, hit by a car...I've had my fair share of pain!!
In reply to your post, I DID read all of the materials provided to me by my doctor's office and went online to the Mirena website to confirm everything.  I also spoke with my OB/GYN about the risks in person and the level of discomfort I should experience.  It was NOT in any of the written materials where it stated the pain was almost unbearable upon insertion.  

Bottom line:  Everyone has different experiences and there are many factors on who experiences which symptoms (i.e. prior pregnancies, length of periods, heaviness of periods, etc.)  

This is a forum for people to share information on their own experiences to help others.  Some of us find it helpful to know we are not alone in some of these issues.  If you don't like what you read, please do not read it, and move on.  I, myself, have found some of these posts to be very helpful.  It is NOT a lack of prior knowledge or that I did not do my duty as a woman to learn what I could before a procedure.  That is an ignorant statement and believe you used poor judgment by slamming women who use a post to share information.  
i had mine put in ystday and it hurt really bad  i mean like bad! i had cramps spoting i was in bed with my 2month old and all i could do is sleep.my honey ran to the store to get me heating pads they worked. i took 600mg of motrin every 6 hours . i called my doctors office my nurse called me back and told me this was normal . she told me to sit in the some warm water and relax she said, its painful at first but should get better within six months.i really hope this goes away because be for i had my daughter i had super BAD pains they would make me leave work and lay in bed the hole day. i tried herbal tea and i went from midual to pampin,i would take no kidding  take around 3 pills of 500 .
does it hurt to be taken out?  
Got my iud today , omg so much pain , I pasted out in the doctor office and now the pain is terrible , hope it worth it ^^
i am 42 i just got my iud and dnc done on july 7th now i feel so weak and sick to my stomach all the time horrible cramps really thinking of getting it out soon i cant handle the pain and sickness is this normal and how long will this last o ya on top of it all i have failed back surgery and my pain meds dont help at all for this
I am 38 years old and have 2 kids.  I had the IUD inserted on May 22 2015 to help with heavy periods.  I cramped a lot after insertion and spotted some.  On June 5th - I began bleeding like a light-Moderate period still with cramps as of today, July 14, I am still bleeding and cramping.  This is NOT what was explained to me when I discussed this with my doctor.  Each time I called the dr office, all the nurses would say is that it is my body trying to get used to it.  I have my check up on July 27th, and I will be having this removed.  I would rather deal with a heavy period once a month than to deal with this everyday.
Had exactly the same things going on with Mirena-plus backache, horrid acne, constant excessive hunger (20 lbs gained within 4 months) extreme fatigue and short-term memory loss. The bleeding was constant and I had a pungent dead/poo  odor in the nether regions that was NOT caused by any kind of STI or bacteria-tested often with no cause found. Antibiotics didn't work on it. Now that Mirena is out, my usual pain and bleeding due to fibroids  has resumed but it isn't daily at least. I can finally do the deed with my husband again and I'm no longer zitty, foggy, puffy or forgetful. Learning to live with fibroids and to seek alternative, natural ways to shrink them down. The FDA does not have our best interests at heart.