Merina IUD and Cramps

I am a 37 y/o woman who has had no children.  I had the Merina IUD inserted a week ago and I am still experiencing heavy cramping and spotting.  I have been told by my OB/GYN that the Merina is safe for women who have never had a child and that these symptoms will subside. Does anyone out there use the Merina who has not had children?  If so, what are your experiences with it?
Never used an IUD myself I have heard that the cramping is experienced by many women at the start, My sister in law has one and has had no complaints at all but she does have one child.
My understanding is that in women who have never had children, the cramping with be a little worse in the beginning because you have never had the stretching that occurs when you have kids. Take some motrin, hopefully that will help. In time it should subside. Just to double check, have you had any unusual pain, fever, or discharge since getting it inserted? If you answer yes to any of these, I would suggest getting checked out ASAP as in rare instances you can develop an infection upon insertion.

If the answer is no, than most likely it is just stretching your "virgin" uterus : )

Good luck, I loved my Mirena!!

Andi
I have Mirena...But my doctor told me that Mirena can only be used in women who have had 1 or more child. ...I'm sure your dr. knows what they are doing , though...I agree with the other poster, it probabily will be soar a little bit longer than normal...due to the fact that nothing down there has ever been stretched, dialated or thinned out.
They have recently changed their mind on using Mirena on women who have never had children. Dh worked with a woman a year ago who had it put in and she had never had any either. I thought it was odd, but did some reading on it. Pretty interesting, I am glad to see it is being used more often and by different women. It is a fantastic form of birthcontrol, provided you fit into the low risk group.

Again, if you don't have any s/s of infection, take some motrin or tylenol, maybe a warm bath and things should resolve soon enough.

Andi
Thank you all for your posts.  They were very helpful.
I HAVE THE MERINA, IT'S NOW BEEN FOUR DAYS SINCE THE INSERTION THAT WAS NOT SO PAINFUL. JUST A FEW CRAMPS! BUT i HAVE HAD NO BLEEDING WHAT SOEVER. IS THAT NORMAL? HOWEVER I'M CRAMPING LIKE CRAZY, I PAST A BIG BLOOD CLOT.  BUT SO FAR I THINK I'M GOING TO LOVE IT