Month Long Period

I'm 18 and for the past year or so I've been trying out birth controls. I was on Alesse first, then another pill, and now the patch (forgive me I can't remember the names- I could find out if need be). The thing is I REALLY don't like having a period- mine are always heavy and unpredictable, even when on birth control. So after talking to my doctor I decided I'd just skip over the period portion of each birth control. The problem- every time I skip the period option, I not only get my period- I get it for a month. FUN FUN. Before skipping the period part I always wait 3-4 months for the birth control to sync with my body, as recommended by my doctor, but it's still always the same! I'm really scared right now because I leave for Sicily for two weeks this Wednesday and am currently on my period. I don't know how long it's been... I think this will be the last week of the month.
Oh, also I should mention... I'm never sure what to do when I have my period WHILE on birth control. I usually end up staying on it... I figure if I keep at it my body will get used to it... ahh, so hopeful. For this week I went off the patch since I'm SO SCARED I'll have my period in Sicily and I figured gettin back to basics may be best... but I don't know...
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
you shouldnt mess around with your pills. it messes up your cyle and its just stupid. quit changing bc all around your gonna have a period all the time if you constantly miss and change bc
I never said I miss
everytime I change it's under the guiding of my doctor when it seems that a bc isn't strong enough for my system
I've talked to my own doctor and other sources about skipping the period segment of bc, and it's perfectly healthy
it might be healthy but its gonna make you bleed a lot. thats what your post is about.
From looking online on forums I've found that it's not the most surprising side effect, but in posting this I was hoping to maybe hear from other women who were in the same situation and to find out what worked for them personally.
ok well i use to take birth control and i missed a few pills and was bleeding for a month. and it just so happened that i was on vactaion in florida for most of the time.

your suppsed to take them all, not take a few, and then stop. your not going to have a regular period if you continue to switch them. they contain different hormones n you cant expect your body to keep adujusting beacuse your not happy with pills.

there is a couple birth controls you should look into where you dont get a monthly period.

and you said your doctor wanted you to change them because they werent strong enough for your body. what did you keep getting pregnant or something
when I skip the period pills I continue taking the regular pills- I just start a new pack.

And my doctor deemed them not strong enough when, despite starting a new pack, I would get my period.

And for the record I've been told it takes many women time to find a bc that synchs well with their body- it's definitely not one size fits all.