My breasts are killing me & I have no idea why...not pregnant

I have noticed in the past 6 months to a year, just after my mid cycle, my breasts get MASSIVE and they are so sore, to the point where I could just be standing or sitting doing nothing and I can feel them ache, like they are bruised. They grow about a whole cup size and are FULL!!!! But then, when my period comes, within 2 days, they shrink back to their normal size and the tenderness goes away, just like that. So basically, for about 10 - 12 days of the month before my period is due, I am stuck with huge, sore tender breasts. I went to my doctor and she told me to take evening primrose oil capsules and Vitamin B6 when this occurs, 6 evening primrose oil capsules a day and up to 2 Vitamin B6 tablets a day. This is not working at all and I look like Dolly Parton. There is no way I am pregnant, I'm not sexually active right now, I'm not on the pill, my diet is generally pretty healthy. I am so conscious of this because I am petite and slim but my boobs stick out to the high heavens and they just HURT!!!!
Can anyone shed any light on this? Any thoughts?
Thanks....
Nikki in Australia
I have learned that there is a strong connection between breast soreness and caffiene.  Are you taking in too much caffeine?  Too much coffee, or soda?  
How old are you? Usually, girls in their teens experience such a condition. The breast tissue is very responsive to hormonal changes. Hormone levels change to bring about menstruation, so thre are changes takingplace in the breasts too. Yes, evening primrose oil is the treatment that is most effective. I have experienced this condition myself. It used to be so painful that I couldn't even move or lift my arms. The texture of the breats also feels 'lumpy'. You need to take evening primrose oil for a few months for it to take effect because the body stores some evening primrose oil. I was given a 6 month treatment and my condition improved greatly. Your doctor will tell you how long you should take them. Also, if you are a teenager, your symptoms will go away as you grow up. Mine have gone away almost completly. A tip that my doctor gave me was that I should wear a good fitting bra. Usually, under wired bras are uneasy to wear if your breasts are sore. A bra should not be too tight or too loose. I guess you knew that already but it should help hopefuly. I hope you are well soon.
I am 35 years old...and I do drink coffee but not excessively, probably maybe about 3 cups a day at the very most. I also drink diet coke but also not excessively.
It's so strange, the actual day I got my last period, my breasts literally SHRUNK. People actually can see the difference. My female colleagues at work have made comments (nothing rude, they are good friends and aware of my situation), so it's an obvious thing. I have been on the Evening Primrose for a couple of months now. How many should I be taking?
I'm 35 and go through the exact same thing every month. I go up one cup size (from a B to a solid C) literally overnight. I can't even give people a proper hug when greeting them because I am so sore. From what I've read and heard from my doctor, it's nothing to be too concerned about and generally is not a sign of any serious condition. I only drink decaf coffee (which I know has some caffeine in it) but not excessively. I do eat chocolate though, particulary 1 week before my period but am trying to cut back due to the caffeine in that. I think 3 cups of coffee a day might be considered excessive based on what I've read and heard from my acupunturist and my doctor. I was taking a "female fertility formula" last year for about 4 months made by Quantum. The contents included: False Unicorn, Wild Yam, **** Quai, Astragalus, Maca root and Rhodiola Rosea; and my swelling and soreness went away almost completely. Ask me why? I can't tell you but it may be worth looking on the Quantum Herbal Products website. I stopped taking it eventually because I was onto something else strictly for fertility and sure enough, once I stopped, the soreness came back in about 2 months.  
Hi there Nikki! I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I am stuck in the middle of my breasts killing me for over 3 weeks now and am so confused. I went to my Dr. and she did a blood test which came back negative..I'm not pregnant. She also tested me for uneven hormones as well as Thyroid but she hasn't called me ie. meaning everything's normal. I don't know where to go from here. I am 38 now and this has only happened to me one other time a few months ago but I was pregnant & had a miscarriage :< I got excited cuz I thought from my boobs I was pregnant again but I'm not. From reading the Ladies statements on here I am hoping that they will shrink & stop hurting when I get my next period cuz man...this is strange! I didn't even have sore breasts when I was a teen! I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day & don't like pop so it can't be that. I hope it's not a sign of early menopause cuz we are trying to have a baby. Another thought crossed my mind as well is the question of "Do women have false pregnancies?"where their body thinks they are pregnant but are not. Who knows but I will keep you ladies posted if I discover anything about it.
Shawna from Canada
I have the same problem but I have PCOS. I just assumed it was from the hormonal imbalance that causes PCOS.
Not sure if you guys are still on this thread but I have the same problem and it comes and goes in about 6 months cycles.  My boobs are on the larger size and I am tiny anyway and I am so self conscious (also uncomfortable) when it lasts so long I am contemplating a reduction. Did anyone ever find relief?
Mine do the same thing!! Its quite painful to the point that I can&#39;t sleep on my stomach, which is where I tend to end up at night.  I naturally have a small chest but when this happens, they grow a full cup size.  That part I like, the pain....not so much. 3 out of 4 weeks of the month I am in pain.  I&#39;ve read about the caffeine situation also...I live coffee however because this has been happening for well over a year, I am SCARED of coffee. I also love tea, again it just hurts so much.  Sports bras don&#39;t seem to work, walking around the house of course, with no bra still doesn&#39;t alleviate the pain. Same thing...period starts and then they shrink. I have maybe 10-12 days of pain free boobs, then it&#39;s back to painful hell.  Friends I speak with only have this issue a few days before period but mine is weeks before. I haven't tried the primrose oil, but that's my next solution.  Hopefully that helps!