Women's Health Community
65.6k Members
Avatar universal

Not sure what to do about my heavy, irregular periods?

I've gotten to the point where I've had enough of my period! It never bothered me this much as I wasn't sexually active but now I'm planning on being & it's making my life very stressful!

I'm 24 years old & I always used to have a regular but very heavy period, so I was put on the pill when I was around 19 years old which worked fine for a few years but I came off it as I just couldn't be bothered to take a pill every day.

Since then my periods have been all over the place. Over the last year they've been awful! I can have a week long heavy period then within 3-4 days it comes again, very heavy for another week! Then I can go about 5 weeks without one then it suddenly appears again - always heavy & long each time! My GP prescribed Tranexamic Acid tablets but half the time they don't work, only when I go a few cycles without taking them. They've also become extremely painful, to the point where some days I'm in agony a week or so before my period even arrives! I get severe pelvic pain, also. I was wondering whether I have Endometriosis tbh.

I'm not sure whether to just go back on the Pill but normally your period doesn't calm down until 3 months in so that's a bit pointless, there's the Contraceptive Implant which many girls I know have but I've read that it could make your periods worse so I'm not sure.

Also, I suffer from Anxiety & I don't really want to make that any worse so that also makes me worried about taking any artificial hormone medication.

Anyone got any advice? I'm so confused & fed up.

2 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
From your symptoms, it can be due to metrorrhagia(heavy periods). Various factors causing it are endometriosis,ectopic pregnancy,hormone imbalance,endometrial hyperplasia,polyps,use of IUD’s and depo shots, sexually transmitted diseases,PCOS and benign and malignant pathologies of the uterus.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Business woman3
External User
If you have only gone to your doctor once or twice for this lately to try to get help, go back and look for some answers and treatment.  If you have gone frequently and they have only put you on the one drug, get another doctor!  You need proactive help for this!  If you can, go to a gynecologist, not a GP, as they are focused in this area and will be better able to help you.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.