Painful smear

I just had my first smear test (I had thought that I'd had one before at a sexual health clinic, but I don't remember it being this bad...)

Anyway, it was slightly uncomfortable/tense when they inserted the speculum, but very painful when collecting the sample - I almost cried.  It's been a few hours and is still slightly uncomfortable, and there has been a small amount of blood.

Could this be because I only finished my period two days ago?  I don't know if this is old blood that's been disturbed somehow (although my discharge has been clear for 2 days) or if it's new spotting from the procedure.

Also, I keep reading that it's not meant to be painful - just uncomfortable.  Is it normal that mine hurt so much?  It was like a stinging/scratching/pinching pain.
I have had this as well, my doctor said it will hurt more if your bladder is full. so when i went for my next smear i made sure i went pee before and it was ok, as for the bleeding your supposed to wait 7 to 10 days after your period and in some women spotting after this is done is normal. Hope this helps
My letter said nothing about waiting that long after my period... problem is it's so difficult to book appointments outside my work hours anyway, but that does help.

I had been to the toilet beforehand so my bladder was empty... but I have been quite constipated so I don't know if that would make a difference?

There hasn't been any more bleeding since last night, but it was still a bit uncomfortable this morning.