Para Gard?

Hi, I am considering using the IUD para gard which is hormone free, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?  Thanks for any info!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGceqoNHm4&list=UUG4gi0PrPer_JlYBi9lAsOQ&index=2&feature=plcp

this video is what make me question the coil !!!
I got my paragrad instered back in Feb.2012, I am a young mom of 3, well I had my cycle in March, but I did not have it in April, I breastfeed my baby, and well I haven't done a pregnancy test, but has anyone experienced this??
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I Got my IUD Para Gard (non-hormone) put in 07/2011 and when I first had it put in I had the worst cramp that I have ever experienced. I cramped bad after that for at least 4hrs. Days later I had spots here and there nothing major. Until I began to get cramps with them. It wasn't unbearable or anything, they we're like my usual menstrual cramps. Each month my menstrual did the same thing;spot like a week before, mild cramps, then the first day will began. I still had my usual days (4days) and I came on around the same time every month.  Well its now May of 2012 and I have had the same routine every month and on my first day of my menstrual which was yesterday. I was cramping sooooo bad and my flow seemed to be heavier and once I came in for the night I used the bathroom and looked down to see that my Para Gard feel out...I do not know how but it scared the mess out of me. Has this every happened to any of you ladies?
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had my Paraguard put in on August 25 2011 after an ablation, the procedure was suppose to stop  heavy bleeding and I thought the Ablation didn't work because I would still spot and bleed for at least 10 days. Also I could feel it inside of me. So I decided to have it removed and lo and behold, the ablation worked. No periods. Ha...so excited about that. I did notice the funky smell during my period, but I wouldn't say I gained any weight. I actually lost about 10 lbs after having it put in. But only with great effort to lose weight. Much happier without. Good luck to everyone!
I was told it can fall out. I had a Paragard IUD slip to the bottom of my cervix, and I became pregnant. Healthy, happy baby 9 months later. I should've seen the signs, like menstrual cramping that felt lower than it should've been, feeling chronically bloated, and I wasn't checking on the string.

I'm on my third IUD and I'm happy with it now. I can't do hormones so Paragard is one of few options for me. My first IUD was pre-kids and it was way too painful so I had it removed after 3 periods. The second is mentioned above. The third was after my second child (my "IUD baby"). I've had it for nearly a year. The first few periods were very painful, but they've gotten much better.  I thought this one had slipped too when last month's period was real heavy, but it's in place correctly. Now I think I'm just paranoid it'll fall out. ;)
Please or to view.
I have had the Paraguard for about 3 months now and I'm 24 and never had a child. I decided to try the Paraguard because I was having issues with hormones making me unstable in my moods. Let me just say that the insertion was not pleasent at all. I cramped bad for a day and was basically fine the next day. I Have had very little problems other than slight cramping and long periods. With reading this forum I believe I may have and issue with my moods too. I have been popping off at people some and I never do that. I have had some weird thick mucus after my periods but not really any smell to it. It seems like I'm basically having my period for 3 out of the 4 weeks of every month. My period was heavy the first two times after insertion and after that my cycles are heavy for about a day or two and then light/ spotty. I would reccomend the Paraguard if you are a persistant person that can handle the long periods. I just love the fact that I don't have to worry about taking a pill or anything for ten or so years. I'm definitely going to try taking the zinc and vitamin to hopefully lessen my period length and help my moods. I think after I take this out and have a child or two I might try the mirena even though I might risk the hormones messing with me.
para gard ***** *** i got it in march it gives ur ***** an odor an long *** periods, cramps, lower back pains, weakness, it feels like im pregnant when im not. i have two baby boys, an i got para gard three months  ago after i thought it would be awesome but i heard it ***** up your liver an all type of stuff. i going to remove it because that its not worth risking my life just to stop from having another baby ill just use condoms , and the shot, para gard mirena all of them cause weight gain .
im just being real :)
Please or to view.
I had paragaurd insertion done last friday. I am 28 and married with no kids. I have never been on any form of OCPs before. I had mild cramps during the insertion, no pain at all. All through the week I had a lot of cramping and spotting/ discharges reddish in color which was during the day but disappeared when I lay flat on my bed. When i asked the nurse she said it could be due to gravity acting on the cervix causing stagnation of blood. I got my periods yesterday(atleast thats what i think coz I have been having reddish spotting all week). It has been so far a very weird period. Flow being very irregular and less compared to my regular periods. It is also 4 days early. I am now worried that it I dont have a proper regular period I am going to put on weight as well :(. I have no sex drive either.
Please tell me if this is normal?
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had paragard place this week on my 4 day of my period my flow was not that heavy at that moment. It did hurt so much, that I will not put it againg if i have to. I had no cramp yet. Im still bleeding not  that heavier hope it stay that way. This is my 5th day of period still bleeding but not cramps.  I will see what next month bring.
i got the paraguard about 3 weeks ago, I am 25 and one son, the reason y i decided to try the iud is because I had the mirena before but I knew for a fact it was causing me acne, so I decided to take it off, I started taking pills and I noticed I gained about 10 pounds, i was freaking out so my doctor suggester paraguard, he told me it doesnt have any hormones so it should have any side effects other then maybe heavier periods, so i decided to try it, the procedure itself was unconfortable, the cramping lasted about 2 days, and i did have some spotting for about 3 days, its been about 3 weeks and the only things that ive notices is that i get an odor with my discharge, I am hoping it goes away, but now after reading all theses post im scared that ill continue to gain weight!
I am 39 years old and decided to have the Paraguard. Yesterday, I had gotten the paraguard.  I had to switch OBGYN since my original doctor was trying to talk me out of getting it and rather have me on hormone BC.  Birth control makes my blood pressure high and the last thing I need is to pay for BC pills and BP pills as well.  I did some research and decided to have the paraguard.  I don't have children but I have been pregnant before so my uterus has been stretched a little.  

I read from several forums of women taking 800mg of Ibuprofen and 4 pills called Oona PMS 2 to help with cramping, bleeding and spasming problems during the IUD insertion.  An hour before the procedure, I took the Ibuprofen and Oona to help with the pain.  When I got the IUD inserted the pain scale of 1 to 10, my pain was a 3.  There was little cramping after it was put in for about 15 mins.  I drove home with no pain and the rest of the evening I went to bed and was fine this morning.  

Whom ever is considering an IUD be sure to take 800mg of Ibuprofen and order Oona PMS 2 to help prevent pain. You can order Oona on Amazon.com.  I will post an update in 30 days of how my body reacts to the IUD.
Forgot to add.  The new OBGYN wanted me to be on my period to have the IUD inserted.  The cervix is soften during that time.  Thanks.
I had paragard for 8 yrs and was absolutely incapacitated.  Anxiety, ADD, major memory loss, low thyroid, unable to simply "do".  Had it removed 8 months ago, supplement w/zinc+C+B complex and am on the road to recovery.  Memory is now normal, thyroid tested normal (also added kelp+selenium for thyroid boost)  attention span is greatly improved, and anxiety/escalated emotions have returned to nearly normal.  I still have a bit to go but it is only getting better.  Paragard & doctors suck.  No warning of possible copper toxicity was given, and no insight as to proper steps for recovery was provided by any doctor, as they obviously know nothing.  Info provided on the web was the only godsend.

I am on my way out of this hell hole, and on to enjoying life again.  
Be happy and healthy.
Please or to view.
Yes it smell....and I have been working out/watching what I eat and can't get my weight off :(
Please or to view.
Your post has really helped me. Im glad that im not the only one. Ive been going through what you went through so getting mine taken out. Thanks for sharing what you went through.
I am 18 years old, and have no kids. I got the Paragaurd inserted when I was 17 years old on January 2012, about to be a year. I can honestly say that this was the best decision that I have ever made. I do have cramping and I get my period every month around the same time just like normal. I do have heavy flow and have my period for 7 days. Even before the iud I have always had my period for 7 days, so thats normal. I am sexually active with my boyfriend, and we do not use condoms at all. I have never had a pregnancy scare. Its been a perfect experience for me.... Recently Ive been hearing that you can get cancer in your cervix or after getting the iud removed you cant have kids, can anybody give me more information on this.. thanks
from what i understand, the paragard does not contain any hormones. therefore you should not have any risks of getting cancer or gaining weight. i am about to get the paragard IDU but i'm really nervous because i have sex with my boyfriend a lot and do not use condoms AT ALL. i have no want for a baby. if it keeps me from getting pregnant than thats all i need.(I do not care about the cramps or bleeding)
Please or to view.
I have had my paragard for 3 months and I'm miserable. I have horrible cramps almost everyday some days doubled over in pain...worse than contraction pain almost. As I type this I took 800 mg of ibuprofen and have a heating pad on and nothing is helping. Other problems I have gained weight,back pain,heavy periods(soaking thru two long thick pads in not even an hr),hair loss(all hair falls out but this is more than normal) in the past two months I have had 3 uti's and 2 yeast infections(I always pee right after sex), my fiancé says he can feel the IUD and I have experienced dryness and less interested in sex. The last few times have been painful. I'm done feeling miserable...calling Dr tmrw
I had the Paragard for 5 years, removed it to get pregnant.  I loved it didn't have to worry about taking pill. I didn't have any problems with it at all. No weight gain, cramps were regular and periods also. Now that I had my 2nd child, since my Dr no longer had the Paragard I decided to go for the Mirena I dotn like it at all. I've had it for a month and a half. Insertion was very painful, I had spotting for 3 weeks straight, I am beginning to start getting acne which I've never had before and I've just noticed that my hair is falling out and I feel heavy as in I think I'm gaining weight. Another thing I get horrible cramps. I really regret getting the Mirena inserted, going to call my Dr Monday to schedule to get it removed.
I saw that you posted this in March - how are things going since that time? I am 24, similar situation as yours. No kids, don't want to take hormones anymore, condoms are an options but I know my partner and I aren't responsible enough to use them. Thought I'd ask if the negative symptoms have subsided.
I've had the same problem except I would add in extreme mood swings and thoughts that went beyond my control. Everything would irritate me and I even hated my bf most days. I also lost my hair in chunks and had a few bald spots. The drs did blood work on everything and said they all came back normal. Then it dawned on me that maybe it's the copper from the paragard. I believed I had high levels of copper and it could have been the copper that was causing all these problems. So I took the iud out about a month ago and noticed that I'm more relaxed and happy, and my hair is shedding half as much. It could be the copper that was causing all those things.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
PARAGARD* oops
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi, I am experiencing everything and more you have said here. The copper has attacked my adrenals and now my thyroid. Memory loss, hair loss, hypothyroidism, and so much more. I have had the paragard iud for 7 years and just put the puzzle together. I am having it out next week.
Can you tell me how long will it take to get back to normal. I know I need to detox myliver bc that is where the copper builds up- but it will take time. I so want to get back to normal and feel normal again. This has been a living HELL on me and my family :(
I have never had a baby and I had the paragard inserted yesterday. The worst pain lasted two minutes during the insertion its self. It was intense but short lived. For the next four hours after insertion I had much lighter craps that came in waves, so not constant but unpleasant.  I took 800mg IB profen 45 minutes before insertion. (note: taking 800 means that you should not take more for eight hours.) I took 400mg after 8 hours. The next day I did not have cramps any more. So 24 hours later, I feel normal. I have never had a baby and the doctor told me that my cervix was narrow. during insertion the pain sent me in to "minor shock" and I became very sweaty and disoriented. For me personally though and since on the next day I feel fine, I am please with the procedure.
I recently discovered this site, but before that a new doc suggested many of my issues could be copper toxicity. I was shocked!  Over the past 3 years my symptoms have gotten horrible. Ive seen several doctors, including an endocrinologist, but then finally wised up and decided to drive an hour away to see an MD who also specializes in integrative and holistic medicine.  My symptoms started out with chest tightness, headaches, and being more tired than usual. I was in college so I was told it was anxiety and stress, told to exercise and stop drinking coffee. I exercised a couple days a week, but also hiked regularly.  Then my symptoms started getting bad about 2 years ago. I started having a lot of trouble sleeping, and not feeling rested after I slept, but my mind would race. I even tried a medication for sleep which lead to my first panic attack.  I cannot tolerate caffeine anymore, have horrible acne, dry skin, fatigue even after 8 hours sleep, difficulty concentrating, being wired at night and tired by day.  I had done some reading and thought maybe it was my thyroid or adrenals.  Saw the endrocrinologist, but was told I was normal.  Then I changed my PCP again and drove far to see this guy.  He is amazing.  Checking my copper levels, saliva cortisol, vitamin levels, thyroid levels including antibodies and reverse t3.  

My questions are to anyone reading is, do you know if excess copper can crap out your thyroid and adrenals?  My doc says my am serum cortisol that was tested before is not good, so definately an imbalance of my adrenals for sure.  Awaiting lab results for the rest.

My next question is how soon did you return to normal after removal?  I can handle cramping and heavy periods but this total fog Im in with no energy and depression is unacceptable.  I really feel like Im going crazy and dont know why.

Ive already started the ball rolling with getting this thing removed, but would like to see my lab results just to confirm Im not crazy. Will post update as soon as I know.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I decided to have the Paragard IUD after my second child.  Insertion was not bad, some minor cramping and dizziness afterward.  However, the side effects were not worth it.  I waited for two years to see if they would go away.  They did not.  I'm sure this must work for some women, but I would make sure that your body will tolerate copper before having the IUD.  I did not know that the IUD could cause hyperthyroidism, which I now suffer from.  I hope it goes away now that the IUD is gone.  Please consider carefully before you get the copper IUD, this is a heavy metal and can be dangerous to your health.  I wish I had been better informed, I could have been more healthy and happy these past few years.
I was on the depo shot before this...... i gained ten pounds and have been struggling to get it off. which ten pounds isnt a big deal..... unless right before you hit your goal weight.

point is, this effer hurts to get put in. right after i got the spins i layed in my car for twenty minutes got a bread bowl from panera and watched movies all day in my boyfriends empty apartment wearing nothing but short shorts and his tshirt.

been on it for about three months now, cramps suck. weight from the shot is coming off because it's finally getting out of my system. and im starting to act like the normal me who my wonderful boyfriend fell in love with instead of the **** of a girl i was on that shot.

i'll take pain over chubby ***** any day.
The mirena causes serious damage to the female body, and the only way to get rid of these side effects for good is to remove the mirena and take natural supplements, herbs and foods and consider natural therapies that will eliminate estrogen dominance, help restore the balance of progesterone and estrogen hormones, and detoxify the body from all the toxins present in mirena such as silicone and copper.
Thanks for this review.... I have paragard for 3 years and I'm considering removing .... The reason is since I have it I can't stand the pregnant belly look I have... My belly looks bloating all the time... I gained almost 10 pounds even though I do eat healthy and exercise regularly I cantttt lose the extra pounds....I will go back using the pills have no other choice.... God help me... Hope this help..
your right I smell different and have a discharge my cycle is light the first 2 days day3 is more heavy than the first two days on day 4 the bleeding has almost stopped now its just brownish by day 5 my cycle is completely gone. Have you gone back to the Dr. yet? If so what did your Dr say its not time for me to have a check up yet
Please or to view.
I just had mine placed two days ago and the cramps are unbearable at night but subside during the day. I woke up drenched in sweat and still haven't been able to BM but it feels like diarrhea cramps too. I am laying in bed with cold sweats and very raw sinuses.  Did anyone experience this and should I be thinking of pulling the plug already? I'm nervous about these sweats. Is my body in shock or are these symptoms of something worse?