Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

Paraguard IUD & lower back pain

Hi.  I had a Paraguard IUD inserted in June 2006.  Since then I have had moderate to severe pain in my lower back EVERY night.  It doesn't bother me in the daytime but at night it gives me fits.  I have seen my chiropractor & my family doctor and neither can seem to figure out what is wrong.  Could it be my IUD?  I'm thinking of calling my OB/GYN but I am so tired of going to doctors!  Any advice?
67 Responses
that's sucks. you mean the IUD has been dislodged in your uterus? does it affect your chances of pregnancy in the future?
Sorry, I didn't wait for the other person to post. Yes, you have to check the string of the iud every month to be sure that it is in place. They can dislodge and travel. Depending where they end up, they can cause scar tissue and interfere with conceiving. Most dr's only put them in women that have at least one live childbirth for that reason.
174483 tn?1327629077
luckly, mine did not affect pregnancy, i found out a few days ago that im preggo, i was so worried, but as the above poster said, its called preformation of the uterous, basically it pokes a hole or gets "logged" up in there, its very rare tho, and mine was only poking me a tiny bit, it was so painful i cant imagine what it would be like to have a complete preformation
174483 tn?1327629077
just thought i should add, when scrolling down the posts i didnt completly read the title, i had the mirena, not the paraguard, i dont know how different they are
Basically the same to look at them but the mirena has meds (hormones) injected into in and paraguard is hormone-free. You still check for the string and make sure it's in place.
174483 tn?1327629077
i had problems with my iud, my doctor was not so willing to believe me and had me keep it in for a month while i was having pain(i had sever left side pain) and he said the iud DOES not cause pain, well when he did in deed take it out, it was lodged up there and poking me in the left side, go figure, but i think you should see your iud doc and make sure its in place, can you feel the strings? my problem started when i could no longer feel them, hope everything goes well and your back feels better!
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.