Period Problems

Hi! I first got my period when I was 11, and now that I am 18 it is still pretty unpredictable. I always feel like I know the general time around when its coming, but I've had as short a time as 2 weeks between periods to nearly 2 months. When I first started getting my period it was always VERY heavy with absolutely horrible cramping happening during it that lasted hours. Pain so bad I couldn't move, and when I got it during school I had to leave class and would have gone home if my mom would've let me. Fortunately as time went on it began to alternate. I feel like I get two different periods. I alternate between no cramps or anything at all and then a very light, brown flow that is brief, lasting only a few days to a week. Obviously that is the period I would prefer to have. Then I still get the very heavy one with bad cramps (which I'm having right now.)

To try to describe the heavy one, let me explain what just happened to me. I was sitting in bed when I suddenly felt the awful cramps start up. I checked, but no period. I knew it was coming though. I go downstairs to get a snack and I am literally only halfway down the stairs when I feel this GUSH in my pants and even though I ran upstairs it had already gone straight through my underwear and pants. This is all happening in under 5 minutes. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's painful and it feels like I'm just peeing bright red blood. To make it worse, the heavy flow lasts a long time, though I generally only get cramps right at the beginning of my period. The heavy flow can last a week and a half (during which I have to do heavy duty tampon AND pad at the same time, changing them 2-3 times a day)  then it turns into a drizzle for the last few days/week.

I want to get rid of the horrible, painful and ridiculously heavy period. I'm considering going on birth control because maybe it's a hormone thing. Does anyone have any advice?
This condition is called dysmenorrhea. It can be of two types; primary and secondary. The primary dysmenorrhea is seen within 2 years of onset of menstruation and stays for 1 to 2 days of each cycle. The secondary dysmenorrhea is due to pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids, endometriosis (abnormality of lining of uterus), pelvic tumors, and intra uterine device (like copper-T) etc. You should consult gynecologist for internal examination and other test needed to detect it's cause.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

HI,
Such problems are common in teenagers due to immaturity of the hormones. However excessive bleeding needs immediate attention as this can affect your general health. Birth control pills do help to regulate the menstrual period and also reduce the blood loss during menses. However before starting pills, you should check out with your Doctor and also get an ultrasound scan done. PCOS and ovarian cysts can cause problems similar to yours.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.