Period lasting for about 6-7 weeks

I'm 25 and I have always had irregular periods, but now I have had one that has lasted about 6-7 weeks and counting. It's sometimes heavy and then most of the time it's light. Sometimes it's like 'period' blood and other times it fresh - like i've just cut myself. I've been to see the nurse and she did a few blood tests and the results are i have to go back for a prolactin test in 3 months. She also did a pregnancy test - but I can't be pregnant. I'm about 3 stone over weight and the nurse said that wasn't the problem. I am not taking any medication and i'm not on any birth control (my fiance had a vasectomy in 1989). I have recently changed my diet for the better - eating fresh, homemade food instead of processed. I also haven't had any major stress in my life recently. When it first started i was tired a lot - but not after 6 odd weeks, i don't seem to have any side effects. Can someone help please.
There are so many reasons why women become irregular. You do need to make sure they are checking for anemia with having such an extended period and blood loss. Perhaps you should see a doctor instead of a nurse. They should be running blood tests to check the Thyroid, Bleeding disorders etc.. Women go through changes for no apparent reason as they get older. Not that 25 is old, just that you may be having a hormonal imbalance that is usually treatable with the use of hormone therapy (Birth Control pills). My daughter has had severe bleeding since the onset of her periods and after years of tests and many different pills that would regulate her temporarily she is now back on track with no more pills. In almost 4 years, there was NEVER a reason given for her to have such a problem other than hormonal imbalance. They just couldn't find a single thing wrong to explain it. It is hard to swallow that there is no reason for such a thing I know, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things in seeking medical treatment. Just keep pushing them until you get this figured out and under control. And don't forget to check for anemia. Especially if you are feeling overly tired, weak, or dizzy.
The best of luck to you and I hope you get back on track very soon!
--J
Thanks - I'll be sure to keep at them. I'll be going to the doctor this week or next.
have you been tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome?WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I USE TO HAVE CYCLES FOR weeks at a time they ran test after i went to doctor after doctor even had several d&c,laporascopy,histerpeniograms, still they  found nothing then in 2003 i found uot i had pcos.try getting tested it's worth a try.
I posted this message a while ago and since then, I'm still bleeding.
I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago and he gave me 'Norethisterone' to take and said that would stop the bleeding. It did for the first few days, but after that, the bleeding came back. I've been in a lot of pain and light headed, dizzy and feeling slightly queasy - but not actually being sick. I am going to see the doctor again on the 16th and hopefully he'll refer me to the specialist at the hospital.

It's been an absolute nightmare - i've missed so many days at college and am not going to make it to my exams this week. Not to mention the physical relationship with my fiance - but he's been very supportive - thankfully. It's been really getting me down, so I hope it will get sorted so.

The 16th can't come quickly enough!!!

Thanks for the comments posted by people.
I am going through the same thing, I am going for blood work and ultra sound on the 28th. would love to know how your test turned out.
I also have a nodule on my thyroid that I have to have a byopsy on I don't know if there could be any connection or not guess we'll see. would greatly appreciate any input.
Have you had an ultrasound done? Haa anyone mentioned uterine fibroids. I just had a laparatomy myomectomy done on March 22nd to remove lare fibroids that caused so much pain and irregular bleeding. I've even missed periods for 6 months at a time. My frieds buddy has had the same bleeding issues as yourself. She has to wear two maxi pads at once. She was bleeding so much one day that her tounge turned white and she had to be rushed down to the emergency room (she works at a hospital). It turned out to be a fibroid sitting at the cervix causing all the bleeding. An emergency surgery had to be done.
I am under 30, and for almost 6 years I have been trying to get pregnant. I have had irregular periods ever since my very first one at 15. They last sometimes for 2 or 3 months, and other times they last for 6 - 7 days. Sometimes I won't have a period for 5 or 6 months. I have pushed doctors and I have even gone to the hospital..when I bleed to much. Alll of them have told me nothing. I have even lost my temper with them. No one seems to want to help me. I have taken many birth control pills to regulate me....but I have all the side effects when my period comes. I even tried depro-vera, and I had my period for 9 months. I am desperate, and depressed about it. Please help!!!!
i have had my period for 3 months and i can't get a Dr. appt until September! ahh! anyone have anything similar? i don't have any other side effects really... my breasts hurt sometimes and they have been swollen... they itch like crazy!
my friend is having her period non stop for three months now she has been to a doctor and they gave her pills to take. the period only stops during the time she takes the pill and once they are finish she started to bleed again. what could be the cause and what can she do or ask the doctor to do?
i am 34 and have been trying to get pregnant for 15 years.  when i get a period it will not stop until i take norethisterone.  I try to take this for 3 months for 21 days.  I stop taking it for 7 days  hoping that it will regulate my cycle.  unfortunetly i am only regular for one month and then its back to a heavy period.  i am fed up with my doctor and the gyncologist as they never have an explanation for this.  I have had all the tests done laparoscpy and a DNC.  After reading everyone's messages i do not feel like an alien there are other females in the same boat as me.  I hope oneday  someone can solve this difficult problem.  Any help about getting pregnant will be appreciated - is there no chance of getting pregnant while taking norethisterone.
humy c from glasgow
Ive been on my period for 7 weeks since i had a miscarriage but i dont want to go to the doctors, what is wrong with me?
I've had my period for almost 7 months straight. I called my doctor but can't get an appointment with them until October!! I don't have any pain at all, never have... Sometimes I have huge blood clots and such but most times it's just tiny clots and lots of blood for months on end... I keep searching the net, to see what it is that I have but have not found what my problem is called yet, can't seem to find people who have had it ongoing for as long as me, 7 months.