Periods! Fibroids! Anemia! Oh my!

I'm 45 years old and am severely anemic due to gastric bypass surgery. I found out I also had fibroids in recent years. Which were making my periods horrible. I went thru uterine artery emboluzation abt a year ago and it worked well for abt nine months but now it's slowly outta whack agn. So my gynecologist put me on provera/ medroxyprogesterone 10 mg which I take every day. She put me on it to stop my periods so I don't lose anymore iron. I'd like to know what other people's experiences r w this medication and should I expect to get a period or not? Thank u
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  Wow, you've been through a lot!  Do you take iron for the anemia?  Are they going to treat the fibroids again?  I don't personally have any experience with progesterone.  My mom took it as she had all cycle bleeding and spotting. It curtailed that and as soon as she stopped taking it, she started spotting/bleeding again every day of her cycle.  It is my understanding that if you take it daily, you will be stopping the lining of your uterus from thickening which is what sheds during menstruation.  So, periods may not happen.  I'd speak to your doctor.  I'd want to know the soruce of the bleeding though and if it is fibroids, treat those again.  good luck