I regularly get cold-like symptoms which seem to morph into more allergy like symptoms. I get this often during the winter and sometimes 3 or 4 times per winter. It goes like this:
- Starts off with a scratch in the back of my throat and feeling run down
- Fairly quickly I am bed ridden with a terrible fever, fatigue, body aches, dizziness and a bad headache. Paracetemol is usually all I need to take the edge off every few hours, but I still bed ridden, and have no energy to do usual tasks.
- I usually develop a chesty cough alongside it, but weirdly my sinuses are typically OK.
- After 24 hours, typically, my fever and cough has gone down substantially (although my body temperature still feels slightly 'off') and then this is when my allergy like symptoms develop:
- Persistently runny and itchy nose, and constant sneezing. I still have a headache and feel fatigued but most of my other symptoms including the cough have disappeared.
It's so strange because I thought with allergies that you typically don't get fevers from them. I don't know whether this is a cold or an allergy problem or a bit of both. Please help shed some light on this situation!