Possible yeast infection - Monistat question

My question is, I think I have a yeast infection after taking metronidazole to treat BV.  Is it safe for me to take Monistat without a doctor's diagnosis of a yeast infection?

A bit more detail if needed - doctor told me I had BV and prescribed the Metronidazole gel for 5 days.  I finished using the gel on Sunday Oct 2.  My symptoms seemed to be going away.  However, starting yesterday morning, I have been experiencing some itching as well as thick, cottage-cheese like discharge.  I understand it is common to develop a yeast infection after metronidazole.  I can't get a doctor appointment for another week and a half, and they won't prescribe Diflucan without actually examining me.  I could go back to the urgent care location that originally told me I had BV, but they would charge me another $130 which I'm trying to avoid.  My question - at this point is it OK to go ahead and try using Monistat? Or is it possible that this chunky discharge is leftover gel that is now making its way out?  I don't want to cause myself any further problems by taking Monistat if I don't actually have a yeast infection.