Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health Community
65.6k Members

Pregnancy or Hormonal Imbalance After Nuvaring?

I was on Nuvaring for 3 months before taking it out April 15.  I had a "period" from April 17-April 19, and then had unprotected sex April 23.  

Since then, I've had nausea, swollen and tender breasts, sensitivity to smells, and have vacillated between eating everything in site to not having an appetite from the nausea.

I started experiencing really light spotting from May 8 until today.  I'm spotting light to dark brown, and it has not been accompanied by cramps or anything remotely close to what I feel when I have a normal period.  Today would be when I'm supposed to get my actual period, but I'm taking into account the fact I just got off the birth control and my periods could be irregular.

According to the Nuvaring website, you can start ovulating 13-28 days after you last remove the website, which does make pregnancy a possibility in my case.  I'm in my early twenties in otherwise in good health.  

So what do you think?  Could be hormones just be really whacky or could I be pregnant?  I figure I'll test next week to be sure.
4 Responses
Given your date you would be at day 30 in your cycle... chances are good that if you are pregnant you would get a positive now.

As for symptoms... anytime there is a hormonal imbalance or shifting you are bound to have similar symptoms... they are not really indicative of preg. or any other concern.

(BTW, you should DEFINITELY have a positive by the 28th if you are preg... but as I said you are already at day 30, so chances are good that you would get a positive result if taken now - or tomorrow morning with 1st morning urine)
It could be both...I would take an  HPT to see.  But the changes in your body could be from the hormones changing since stopping the nuvaring.
Thank you for your responses.  I'll take a test tomorrow AM and test again next week.

Did you take a HPT?  Are you pregnant?  If not, maybe you
should call your doctor or GYN and explain what is going on.
He/she should be able to help you.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.