Question About smell of BV

So I got my first BV infection six months ago, it actually didn't have a smell then, just really unpleasant discharge. I got antibiotics and that cleared it up, but it came back twice. I finished the third course of antibiotics two weeks ago, ava my period just ended, now I have this milky discharge that is different than the last two times and has a distinct odor, I don't know that its "fishy", but sort of like old socks or garbage...  Is this like, another infection? Women Who have bv, is this what your discharge smells like? Help!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, now this is just a guess but your first bouts were most likely a yeast infection and not bacterial vaginosis.  Yeast infections are funky discharge (often lumpy), itching, no odor.  Bacterial vaginosis is a milky greyish discharge that has a bad odor.  They are treated very differently.  What medication (name of it) did you take?  that will tell me what the doctor thought you had initially.  either way, since you have ongoing problems, I'd go to the doctor and get swabbed with a definite diagnosis of what the discharge is this time.  good luck
I was swabbed the first time also and it was confirmed bv, I took two course of metro gel and over three months, now I just finished a course of oral flagyl and it is back again... it never itched or burned, I've had yeast before and this is not it