Rough skin in the perineum area

My Mother recently went to her yearly physical and got a biopsy taken down in her perineum area closer to the anus because she had been complaining about itchiness and pain while using the restroom for the last 2 weeks. At first he thought it was a fissure but then he said he was concerned that the skin was rough. Just so worked up on having to wait on the results. I know it can be anything but the one think you fear is cancer, I was just wondering if anyone else has any past experience with something like this. The rough skin I figured could just be from scratching or because its been so hot and we do a lot of daily walks outside that it could make the skin like this from irritation.
I know everyone is different and only the report will tell us what is wrong but just really trying to find some help on it.