Women's Health Community
65.6k Members
Avatar universal

Scared but too embarrassed to go to the doctors.

About 2 months ago I noticed a 'squishy' lump just above my anus, and my perineum is also VERY swollen. Neither are painful, and I only noticed this issue when washing.
At first I thought it was piles, so I treated with anusol cream and suppositories - at separate times, and still the problem persisted. Next, I tried soaking in sea salt. The 'squishy' lump started to shrink in size, but the swelling between my vagina and anus got worse. My perineum is about the size of a ping pong ball at the moment, or at least that's how it feels, and I can also feel the swelling from inside my vagina. I am very worried about this, but I am also too embarrassed to go to the doctors. I have contemplated it, but my shyness and anxiety issues have got the best of me. I'm hoping I can find a medication, or treatment from a pharmacy, or store.

2 Responses
134578 tn?1546634665
Nobody can tell you if it is piles or something else, and so you really can't get an answer online about what it is.  I am sorry if you are embarrassed, since the doctor won't be.  When I had a cyst in that area once, I washed really well and then went to my appointment, and so I would feel better about having to present my rear end to someone, I just said, "I apologize in advance for having to show you this part of my body."  The nurse-practitioner just laughed, and that was that.  Please know that any medical person has had to handle many worse things than someone's swollen perineum, including poop coming out into their hand and vomit in their face.  Make an appointment, take a bath, put on clean underwear, and then go straight there.  You won't be as self-conscious as it seems now.  Good luck!!!
563773 tn?1374250139
It can be a boil, abscess, anal fissure or external hemorrhoid. Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may include painful swelling or a hard lump around the anus which may itch. You can sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a surgeon.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.