Shortness of breath with PMS

I'll make this short, but since the birth of my child...3 years ago, I have been getting shorth of breath about a week before I start my period. My GYN says he has never heard of this and he thinks it is all in my mind. Of course it isn't! Anyway, I am a healthy 34 year old. The only medical problem I have is hypothyroidism and I am taking medication for it. Thank you for your time.
I've never had a child, but shortness of breath is not a good thing.  I would go to my family doctor and have him run some tests.  Everyone is different but they always say better safe than sorry.  Keep me posted on how it goes!!  It does seem odd that you would only get it around PMS time, so I recommend that you get checked.....Lynn :)
Check your iron panel, including ferritin.
Joy.......I have experienced shortness of breath for years..... since I was a teenager.......always around my menses.  After my baby was born, it got worse for a while......as soon as my period resumed, it stopped.  This past year, I have monitored this carefully, and it's like clockwork.  For exactly 3 days, before my period starts, I have this thing where I can't "catch" my breath... I can breath 2 or 3 breaths, and on the 4th, I can finally breathe deep enough to get the breath.  It's like something is catching so I can't breathe deep..... like I'm hyperventilating.  As soon as my period starts, it usually stops.  I have seen docs for this, and they tell me they are panic attacks, which I think is rubish.  I think it's too much of a coincidence that it starts 3 days before, and stops as soon as I start my flow.  I will tell you... it's not in your head!  I think, in my humble frustrated opinion, that it has something to do with the rise and fall of hormones..... and I don't see why they haven't come up with that yet.  I do know it's uncomfortable, and tonight, it's driving me crazy.  
The only thing they did for me, was give me a mild tranquilizer, which did seem to help, but I hate taking anything like that, so I try to breathe in a paper bag..... it's just so frustrating, that the docs tell us it's in our head!  It's NOT.  They also said that about PMS, and some still do.  I wish someone knew what this was????  Could it be hormone related?  I've been tested and tested, it's not heart disease.. it's not asthma.... my lungs are clear.  It's just some fluke that happens like clockwork every month.  The docs just shake their head, and say it's a panic attack.  
You should get it checked tho, and make sure nothing else is going on.  
Good luck Joy............and if anyone else knows if this could be hormone related, and if there's something that can be done.. please speak up :)
Thanks :)

Trish :)
i have the same thing and it is related to my period as well. have been checked, lungs, heart etc...
Hey, I don't know if you ever got your shortness of breath problem resolved but my doctor has done several thyroid checks and I had to adjust my medicine to take half in the morning and half in the evening.  If your TSH level (i think) is too high it can cause breathing problems.  I have also started getting massages at Massage Envy.  I know it may be too expensive for some but it's well worth it.  There is something about getting your circulation going and relaxing that helps you breathe better.  I hope you are better.  Oh, btw, when I started taking half my thyroid medicine in the am and half in the pm my tsh levels went to normal.  Weird I know but I was possibly forgetting to take my pills.
I wonder how many other women are going through this. I too have shortness of breath several days before my period that stops on my period! My Ob/GYN says it is hormonal. Although they don't really have any treatment, I find excercise like pilates helps tremendously. These episodes as you say can be very scarry and frustrating. I'm actually having trouble right now! I better do some pilates breathing and roll overs. Godd luck!

Kim

P.S.-It's not in our heads!
No, it certainly is not in our heads!
It's been driving me mad and always starts about a week before my period, so it must be related to PMS! In fact it's killing me right now as I'm due in a few days time. Just can't breath deep enough like fish out of water! Very frustrating. Thought it was asthma - my lungs are fine. Though was allergy - tried all anti allergy pills+steroid sprays - no use!
Maria
It's definitely not in your heads.  I suffer with the same thing, as does my mom and daughter.  I found out my grandmother had the same problem also.  Sounds genetic.  Mine started the year before my periods began.  The next couple of years were the worst (I guess my hormones were a mess then).  It seemed to level out after that and has always hit me since then right before my period.  It's driving me nuts right now.  I've asked doctors also and they are always stumped.  Nobody has ever heard of it.  I have had my hormone levels tested and have actually been put on hormone replacement therapy because I also suffer from a rash every month (which started after the birth of my first child) on top of the breathing problem.  It seems to have helped the rash some (not totally) but not the breathing problem.  It seems there has to be a doctor out there somewhere who knows something about this.  Maybe there is one who would like to research all of us and figure out what can be done.  I know there are many other women who suffer with this same problem.